PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Session at Thornhill-Broome

ErikAllen17
08-31-2013, 01:09 AM
It's been a full 7-days since I've dropped a line in the water... which is torture enough... but with a brand new (since Thursday) Shimano Symetre 4000FL spooled with 20lb Spectra, sitting in my garage, just waiting to get wet... I was downright going into withdrawals! After putting the kids (and wife) to bed, I made the decision to go out and scratch that itch! I quickly packed up the Tahoe (to the wife's dismay) and headed out to PCH. I decided to try Thornhill-Broome again. I was on the sand and casting away by 10:15pm. After about an hour of nothingness... I decided to call it quits. Started to reek of that familiar skunk smell.
:Skunk:

I started walking back, casting ahead and reeling in as I walked when suddenly... BOOM! and then that familiar ZIIIIIIIIIING! from my spool. My LC hooked up on something... something quite big. I added a slight amount of drag and let him take off. After about 10 seconds, he stopped... so I started the (long) haul back in. After about 5-6 minutes, I finally noticed a shape in the outgoing wave... he was close... and BIG! I flicked on my necklamp and lit up a large Shovel Nosed Guitarfish hooked with a single hook from the last treble on the LC, right on his tail. I can't believe he didn't unbutton himself on the retrieve. My initial size guess... 2-2.5 feet maybe. After beaching him, I grabbed my tape measure and stretched it out along the length of his body... 10", 20", 30", 36", 37", 38" and stop at a whopping 39.25"! That's the biggest SNGF I've ever landed. Thank you mister skunk-buster!!!
:Dancing Banana:

Like a moron :Head Bang:, I didn't take a photo because it was way down in my backpack. But I released him without issue and watched him slowly swim away into the darkness. Finally... a smile on my face. Well, time to go get another one. A few dozen casts later and I notice my line getting hard to retrieve. I shine my torch on the line... full on birdsnest knot right before the spool. Crap... sometimes I really hate braid. This wouldn't have happened if I could actually SEE my line. Oh well, time to cut it down, re-tie and get back out there.

Right as I was tying my Palomar knot onto my swivel, a torch hits me in the eye and blinds the hell out of me. Two (quite attractive) female Park & Rec officers walked over and met me on the sand. They let me know I could possibly get a parking ticket from CHP and also asked to see my fishing license. Now, I've never had a reason to park on PCH after hours, but apparently it's frowned upon after 10pm. Good to know... thank you ladies! I showed them my license and they were on their way. Now, with my line being cut, the now looming possibility if a parking ticket and it's 11:30pm... I took that as my sign to leave. I walked up the bank, packed my stuff up and headed home. But not before a quick stop at In-N-Out for a strawberry shake!!!

Not a terribly productive night, but ANY time fishing is better than not going at all. At least the SNGF was kind enough to scare away the skunk for the night!

Wingnut
08-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, those bigger Shovelnose will get your heart pumping thinking it's a big Hali. :Envious:
Beats the Skunk any day... or night. :Big Grin:

PTN
09-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a great night session. I should try and start doing those again. Thanks for reminding me and your well-written report.

-Peter

skunked4life
09-02-2013, 05:10 PM
You beat the skunk at the point of desperation! That's clutch! Great job out there. Remember, posts don't always have to be about catching. Skunk reports help others plan their trips and avoid the skunk. Keep at it!

SP Dan
09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Fantastic!
Huge SNGF will give you the pull of your life, will straighten out your hooks and I've had a rod break during one of my encounters!
Pound for pound .... Mr Wiggles is a great fish to hook into and wont come to the beach easily! Congratulations on beaching your 39.5" monster!
Thanx for the fun read!
SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
09-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Fun read. Nice going there landing that big tail-hooked wiggles. They definitely will give you a run for your money. Congrats on a great fish!

Don

Fishingdachronarch201E7
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey EricAllen17,

good report! and congrats on not getting skunked, they suck!

TonyG
Fishingdachronarch201e7