PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Surf Session , first HALIBUT, Bolsa Chica

Fishingdachronarch201E7
08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Hello All,

First and foremost i wanna thank everyone that has helped me out and answered questions on the surf, because it sure helped :Smile:

So yesterday me and 2 of my buds hit Bolsa chica.....i started off at the beach but the surf was to crazy so moved into the inlet....

My bud was working his brand new fly rod on a ghost shrimp fly....i was working my 2500 sonora on 10lb test with a LC ghost i think it was.....and my other friend was working a chrome kasmaster....

First on the board was my bud with the new fly rod, caught a short halibut so back in it went, about 10 min later my other bud working the kasmaster nails another shortee....by this time im feeling like damn, skunk? LOL as im working me LC bam i hit something but man it feels like seaweed....as the tide comes in n out what feels like seaweed is doing the same, finally im able to start reeling it in, still thinking its seaweed as it gets closer, bam its a ray LOL wrong kind of flattie but skunk is gone.....so back to it, everyone is casting again and id say about 15 min into it, again i get hooked into something again i dont know what it is as im new so im thinking dammit another stingray lol but as im reeling it in it starts taking drag so im like the ray didint do that so im happy cuz its a fish fish and as its getting closer closer BAM its a halibut, wooohoooooooo cant beleive my eyes :Shocked:....i have never caught a halbut off the surf, man i was so pumped!!! im still pumped.....beached it and it was a keeper told the wife if i caught a keeper she would get it.....sounds like fish tacos for sunday

Sorry if didnt make sensse!!

And again thanks to all those who have helped with advise

Tony G
Fishingdachronarch201E7

EfrenM
08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Nice hali !!!!!! How big it was ??

SP Dan
08-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi ya Fishingdachronarch201E7,

"Congratulations" on not only your first Hali from the salt but for also beaching your first legal! :Big Smile::Applause: WTG!!
What was it's length? In the picture it looked like a very healthy Hali!

Thanx for the fish report with pic! :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan <"))><

taksx
08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Wait a second that's not how it went down, I was there......Haha J/K nice Job Tony. Lets do it again next week!

bloox8
08-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Nice catch dude!

Thats funny. Usually halibut feels like a piece of seaweed and rays feel like a freight train. Damn posers these days :LOL:
Thanks for the report.

Thien

bachiboy
08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Didn't make sense? You went out there for the first time, threw the LC 'round a bit and BAM...legal. What's not to get?:Wink: Pretty easy huh? Well, I wish it were, but great job out there. I think it's safe to say you're somewhat hooked on this surf fishing stuff now so I'm hoping to hear more from you soon.

Congrats!!!
Don

Fishingdachronarch201E7
08-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

it was right under 24...weighed about 6.5....

so yeah im hooked lol went out and bought some more LC's, went to Turners and I think they jacked up, they're usually 19.99 right...well these guys have them for 15.99 plus they give u the 20% best deal ever picked up 4 of them for 56 bucks so 14 bucks a pop, now that's a DEAL.....

again thanks everyone!

Tony G
fishingdachronarch201e7

fishandhunt
08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Congrats on your fattie Hali! Thinking of hitting up Dog Beach in HB tomorrow! Hopefully I'm as lucky as you...

Fishingdachronarch201E7
08-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Congrats on your fattie Hali! Thinking of hitting up Dog Beach in HB tomorrow! Hopefully I'm as lucky as you...

Hey fishandhunt

thank you.....and for sure good luck out there..let us know how it goes..

tonyg

fishingdachronarch201e7

tamddo714
08-29-2013, 10:44 PM
good job on the catch! which turners did you go to? thanks!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
08-30-2013, 11:23 AM
good job on the catch! which turners did you go to? thanks!

Hey Tamddo714,

I picked them up at the orange store...off of tustin ave past katella...good luck! and looking at my receipt last night i actually paid 51 for all 4 of them, so scored for 12.75 a pop, sucked cuz they had no more colors but the ones i got, oh well im sure thats plenty of them for now lol......

TonyG
Fishingdachronarch201e7

mbb
08-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Congratulations on that prized first halibut. Based on what I see in that pic, did you guys catch those fish between the bridges?

Wingnut
08-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Very nice, congrats on your first of many legals. :Big Grin:
See you at HG5. :Cool:

Fishingdachronarch201E7
09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Very nice, congrats on your first of many legals. :Big Grin:
See you at HG5. :Cool:

Hey Mr. Arthur (wingnut)

thank you very much, I owe u for the knowledge Ive gained, thank you

and for sure ill see u at HG5, cant wait...

regards

tonyg
fishingdachronarch201e7

fishshep
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Congrats on your catch !!! :Big Grin:

sidified
09-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Terrific debut and post, TonyG..Keep 'em coming..
Sid

PTN
09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Great catch TonyG!! Thanks for the report and see you at HG5 :Cool:.

-Peter

skunked4life
09-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Where's the chronarch??? Congrats on your legal! Trust me, this is just the beginning! You got halitosis!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Hey Fishshep, Sidified, PTN, Skunked4life

Thank you all!!! and im hitting crystal cover tomorrow so hopefully i have a report

Hey Skunked4life, as for the chronarch, my cousin stepped on my Shimano Covergence rod thats its paired on and broke it, took it to Longfin to get it replaced so the chronarch is out right now....plus ive had it for a year and have yet to catch a fish on it hahaha...i have 12lb test on it, think im gonna switch it out....think braid will be good on it.

also for sure see you guys at HG5, id like to put a face with the name.... :)

Thanks

TonyG
Fishingdachroanrch201e7