PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-08-28-13 Copper mine in Descanzo Bay.

Tunaslam
08-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I went fishing Wednesday 08-28-13, with Bill Fisher, on his 18’ Trophy, “Toad Hall”. After trying to find a ride to fish offshore for Tuna and Tails to no avail, the weather again being an issue, I called Bill to see if we could hook up for some great Critter fishing. He said come on down, the weather forecast for inshore in Descanzo Bay was good.

I scrambled to put my gear together and drove down from my home in Diamond Bar at 6pm, arriving Tuesday evening at Bill’s place south of Rosarito at 8:30 pm. We watched some Baseball, San Diego Padres and the Dodgers, before calling it a night, with a wake call set for 5:30 am.

Up and at them bright and early, we were quickly off to Las Salinas where Bill slips his boat. We arrived in Las Salinas, at 6:45 am. Always an adventure, as management has still not dredged the harbor, the exit through the harbor was not an issue today, although usually treacherous at best.

Bill set a course through bumpy seas, yet calm winds to some hard bottom spots offshore in 250 to 325 feet of depth. At first the meter was virtually devoid of marks, and neither of us were getting bit. Then we drifted over some good hard bottom ridges, and it was game on. We caught numerous Copper Rockfish, Lingcod, Bocaccio, Starries, and Green Stripes. Due to very calm seas and virtually no current, we drifted very slowly and were able to make lots of drops.

We were able to make several long drifts on this structure. We have fished this area many times and have never found so many Copper Rockfish on the chew. We have had good Lingcod fishing in this area and they did not disappoint. This was my biggest of the day:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Bill-La%20Salinas/100_2900_zps932ee2c5.jpg

Bill and I caught and released at least a dozen Lingcod, and kept four in the 26 to 28 inch range. Most of the Lings released were around 24 inches.

We worked this general area until 10am, having caught our limit of Copper Rockfish and near limits of other varieties. Neither the Reds nor the pesky Bocaccio were in abundance. It was time to fish in fairly shallow water, less than 150 feet. We made a few drifts and caught and released more Lingcod, some Starries, Bocaccio and one Red.

Bill then moved us into shallower water that had yielded some excellent Sand Bass fishing during recent trips. We caught and released about ten Sand Bass, plus a bunch of Chocolate Rockfish and more Lingcod.

It was an incredible day of fishing Descanzo Bay. The sun came out early, the jackets and sweat shirts were removed by 9am, Mother Wind never got over 6 knots, and at 2pm when we called it a day, it was still reasonably calm.

It was day on the water I needed, having been out on so many windy days, and shooting blanks on the Tuna!

Our day’s catch that was kept:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Bill-La%20Salinas/100_2903680x510_zpsbe008197.jpg

It was an easy 50+ fish day and what a blast. We cleaned the fish near the harbor and returned to Bill’s place after 3pm. Chilled out for an hour and started the long trek home to Diamond Bar, 160 miles away. Fortunately the wait at Otay Mesa was only 3 minutes to cross the border. I pulled into my driveway at 7:35 pm, extremely pleased.

Bill thanks again, the fishing was extraordinary once again. Can’t wait until our next adventure!
Hook up!
Cory

skildfisher
08-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Wow that seems like quite an adventure! Your reports are always such great reads. Those fish must be great eating.

murrieta angler
08-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Good assortment of fish Cory.
Too bad about the tuna fishing, especially with the nice sized ones coming over the rail lately.. : I
Robert
<><

webmaster
08-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Nice bottom feeders Cory. I'm glad you were able to get out and get some fish!

Tunaslam
08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow that seems like quite an adventure! Your reports are always such great reads. Those fish must be great eating.

You bet they are!

Thanks for your feedback.
Cory