PDA

View Full Version : Lake Access DVL and Mathews

eah
08-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Elsewhere in FNN we are providing input intended to improve Diamond Valley operations. I hope for success, however, I suggest we are really trying to improve access to the water the public owns through MWD. It seems to me, that, except for the length of time they have existed, there is little if any practical difference between Diamond Valley, and Lake Mathews. How do we get access to Mathews debated, and the lake open?

DEVOREFLYER
08-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I believe there was an attempt to get Matthews opened a year ago or so but it did not happen and likely has killed any future hope also.

goodguy
08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
i believe there was an attempt to get matthews opened a year ago or so but it did not happen and likely has killed any future hope also.

^^^this^^^^

alexgee926
09-02-2013, 10:54 AM
lake mathews isnt gonna happen any time soon. u could always go fish it at night though lol :Cool:

jicasiano
09-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Is Lake Matthews pretty wide open?

carpanglerdude
09-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes. This is on Lake Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2fCUC-giY

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

HawgZWylde
09-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Yes. This is on Lake Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2fCUC-giY

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

Indeed. So whose "private clubs" gets the privileges?

And that was a fairly decent Jerry Cantrell imitation...

Fish Dog
09-04-2013, 11:27 PM
What I have heard of Matthews is one of two things (and it may be a combo of the two that's the truth)...

#1 - Matthews is the last link in the chain that sends water into the system that eventually gets it into our houses and therefore is protected from any possible pollution or contamination by keeping it closed to the public.

#2 - Matthews is a brood stock lake for DFW and is protected so that DFW has access brood stock when they need it. (I also heard that due to stripers making their way into Matthews that DFW will occasionally send employees out there (non-paid I understand) to thin out the stripers).

...It could be one or the other, a combo of the two or what I've heard could be totally bogus, but that's what I heard.

QB7940
09-05-2013, 02:37 AM
If you work for DFW in the socal area, there are 2 days in the year where they have a depredation hunt on the striper there. Its invite only, and employees can bring friends, a lot of guys with nice bass boats get invited. Really stupid easy fishing. Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of striper are caught. Instant hundred fish days if you have even just a drop of striper knowledge.

Tom
09-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Lake Matthews is Not Public Land
A much better fight would be to open the public roads the Indians have closed leading into and on public lands out of banning.
They have closed Public roads.

carpanglerdude
09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Lake Matthews is Not Public Land
A much better fight would be to open the public roads the Indians have closed leading into and on public lands out of banning.
They have closed Public roads.

Tom, I agree with you. There are several interesting canyons and creek near Banning that I would love to explore. However, they are accessible only through Native American roads and therefore off limits. Heck, there is several in San Bern that are blocked as well. It's a shame when public lands are blocked by private groups or other entities.

However, if Matthews is not public land, who owns it? A private water department? Help me out here, I'm having a hard time deciphering the mixture of public/private water programs in this region.

chompot
09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Tom, I agree with you. There are several interesting canyons and creek near Banning that I would love to explore. However, they are accessible only through Native American roads and therefore off limits. Heck, there is several in San Bern that are blocked as well. It's a shame when public lands are blocked by private groups or other entities.

However, if Matthews is not public land, who owns it? A private water department? Help me out here, I'm having a hard time deciphering the mixture of public/private water programs in this region.

My guess would be that MWD is an investor owned utility and not a municipality like DWP is. SCE is also an investor owned utility, so they own the lands, the dams and the lakes they use for hydro power.

I am not sure what kind of utility MWD is, so do not quote me on that, just a guess. Since DWP is a municipality, funded by the residents of Los Angeles I would assume you could push them to open some of their water ways that are closed.... but not sure about that either. Just a thought, I am not a lawyer.

chompot
09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I have been told that one (maybe more) of the so cal bass clubs fish the lake as well. Not sure how they have the connection, but I have heard they fish it as part of their club tournaments.

Do not go in there thinking you are going to catch teener LMBs. I have heard that those fish are pure strain northerns. If they were all floridas there could be some toads.