PDA

View Full Version : can u launch isabella this weekend labor day

trollmiester
08-28-2013, 08:19 AM
i do not have 4-by-4 but 14 foot aluminum .will my truck get stuck.

Bassnman Mike
08-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes you can launch at the South Fork ramp. The dock is not in the water but the cement ramp is. At the ramp between the dams there is a big sand bar that is giving people troubles. I would suggest launching from the cement ramp because with the lake level dropping like it is you could get stuck if attempting to launch on the dirt anywhere

cutbait
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
There is no dock to tie boat up to.

Two people best.

If solo you have to beach the boat and park truck. Keep in mind only one ramp for the lake operational so the whole lake will be there.

Also 178 had a bad mud slide last week and washed the road out. One lane open.

Check cal trans site or 1800 gas roads for hwy access. Otherwise you need to come in from the east side

trollmiester
08-30-2013, 09:11 AM
thanx for the info if i go it willbe saturady night off hgy 14

flybynight
08-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Last I heard was that all cement ramps were out of the water and at the end of them there is about a 1ft. dropoff. You might try Kissick Cove, it's dirt but packed pretty good.
Good Luck

trollmiester
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
do i need 4x4 i have a 2006 toyota truck no 4x4 ? thanx in advance

cutbait
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
do i need 4x4 i have a 2006 toyota truck no 4x4 ? thanx in advance

I had a reliable source tell me he was there last week and launched at south Marina (reds).

He said its a two man job or you have to beach the boat. He said last week there was still concrete in the water.

Unless its dropped since last week significantly (very possible)

I may join yo u on the 14th Chris!

Master Baiter1
08-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Last I heard was that all cement ramps were out of the water and at the end of them there is about a 1ft. dropoff. You might try Kissick Cove, it's dirt but packed pretty good.
Good Luck

Yes Kissack is an easy launch right on the dirt even with 2wd. It's hard packed there. Used to launch there a lot back in the day with the pwc. Red's we used to just back down the dirt and launch and camp there too.

Bassnman Mike
08-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I was there yesterday, caught some bass, crappie and catfish, not alot but still had fun.

Now for launching, good luck if you attempt to launch at Kissack because there is no water there, as a matter of fact at the eastern end of Paradise cove you can almost walk accross to the northern shore line, yes its that low.

You CAN NOT launch at the main ramp between the 2 dams, the sand bar that used to be under water on the ramp is now exposed.

As to launching from a shore line, I would NOT advise it because what you see on the shore line was under water a week or 2 ago and chances are you will get stuck.

All that beind said, I launched my 21 foot Champion at South Fork ramp and as of right now the cement did NOT end and drop off but like others have said, there is no dock so expect to get a little wet.

Another thing, be very carefull, there are ALOT of trees sticking up, some are just under the surface, there are also ALOT of submerged rock piles that are just below the surface. We saw a bird that lookied like he was standing on water because he was at least 50 yards from shore. As it turned out he was standing on a rockpile that was maybe 3 inches below the surface.

Master Baiter1
08-30-2013, 02:05 PM
I was there yesterday, caught some bass, crappie and catfish, not alot but still had fun.

Now for launching, good luck if you attempt to launch at Kissack because there is no water there, as a matter of fact at the eastern end of Paradise cove you can almost walk accross to the northern shore line, yes its that low.

You CAN NOT launch at the main ramp between the 2 dams, the sand bar that used to be under water on the ramp is now exposed.

As to launching from a shore line, I would NOT advise it because what you see on the shore line was under water a week or 2 ago and chances are you will get stuck.

All that beind said, I launched my 21 foot Champion at South Fork ramp and as of right now the cement did NOT end and drop off but like others have said, there is no dock so expect to get a little wet.

Another thing, be very carefull, there are ALOT of trees sticking up, some are just under the surface, there are also ALOT of submerged rock piles that are just below the surface. We saw a bird that lookied like he was standing on water because he was at least 50 yards from shore. As it turned out he was standing on a rockpile that was maybe 3 inches below the surface.

Damn that's low. Of course if no water at Kissack then no launching lol. I remember some years back in the 90s when I used to go to Isabella every two weeks and sometimes weekly and the level always dropped one drought year. Usually was able to find a hard packed dirt shore to launch on but did get stuck one time. Of course it was the time we didn't get out to wade in and check first. There were other campers around and one of them had a 4x4 who pulled me out.

Bassnman Mike
08-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I've been fishing Isabella since 1979 and I have never seen it as low as it is now, quite the shame because the fall/winter bite there is AWESOME and it wont be very much longer until we wont be able to launch at all.

Here's a picture of the "Jesus" bird. We were sitting about 30 yards off shore when I looked over and saw him sitting about 20 yards further off shore. If you look closely you can see the hook attached to a rock that hold a bouy.

troutdog
08-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Good luck out there Trolly!

TD