PDA

View Full Version : New guy here, with big question

Pecci
08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Just wondering why SoCal (ocean) fishing has been so bad during the last few years? Even the local 1/2 day charters have done poorly. I know that the state has closed many areas to fishing, now designated them as salt water sanctuaries. This must have hurt.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and am looking forward to learning and hopefully sharing info.

flyhigh123
08-26-2013, 05:48 PM
as far as offshore like tuna. and ytail, the last 2 seasons have been some of the best ever... as far as inshore, no idea.

etucker1959
08-26-2013, 06:18 PM
When I was a kid the local boats in the Summer time, filled their sacks with the 3 B's. Bass, Barracuda and Bonita. In the winter time it was Rock Cod. Every one of those fish with a few exceptions was overfished. Now we are just fishing for the remnants of a once great fishery. The only thing we really have left in any reasonable numbers is Rockfish.

cutbait
08-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Pos Dock rat has been fishing socal salt for ions.

He's killed them all

Frequent Flyer
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
as far as offshore like tuna. and ytail, the last 2 seasons have been some of the best ever... as far as inshore, no idea.

depends if you like rat yellowtail, then by all means its wfo, but the bluefin was ridiculous this year. Let's see if the yft make it up the line

exfactor
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Its been a banner year. Learn how to fish, and maybe you'll start opening your horizons from the half day boat

Pecci
08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Its been a banner year. Learn how to fish, and maybe you'll start opening your horizons from the half day boat

This is not about me knowing how to fish or not. It's about the local 1/2 boats daily counts for the last 3 or 4 yrs. I guess one would call it "banner" if you're oblivious to what ocean fishing was like prior to the last 5-10 yrs. or if catching a couple hand-sized sand dabs and sculpin for half a days wage floats your boat!

City Dad
08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
a combination of habitat degradation and over-fishing. sand bass limit is down to five now...

TUNAVIC
08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Nothing remains the same,you and others are right,local fishing is no what it used to be,anyone saying different is sadly mistaken,I remember catching many,many yellowtail locally,when I say local I mean Huntington flats to Rocky Point,and the Channel between LB shore and Catalina,there was at one time big Albies caught there too. And Calico Bass locally,in the past,it was not unusual to catch and release 30-60+between two guys in a day, all legal.
Locally I've caught trolling,WSB,Yellowtail,in good numbers in the past,not so much lately,hey years ago there was also less traffic,cleaner air,cheaper gas,need I say more?
Just enjoy what we have now,and the opportunity to do it,don't abuse the resource and share your success or skunk with us here.
What the future holds is a whole other issue which you probably do not want to hear my feelings on.jmo

Cya TunaVic

Pecci
08-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Nothing remains the same,you and others are right,local fishing is no what it used to be,anyone saying different is sadly mistaken,I remember catching many,many yellowtail locally,when I say local I mean Huntington flats to Rocky Point,and the Channel between LB shore and Catalina,there was at one time big Albies caught there too. And Calico Bass locally,in the past,it was not unusual to catch and release 30-60+between two guys in a day, all legal.
Locally I've caught trolling,WSB,Yellowtail,in good numbers in the past,not so much lately,hey years ago there was also less traffic,cleaner air,cheaper gas,need I say more?
Just enjoy what we have now,and the opportunity to do it,don't abuse the resource and share your success or skunk with us here.
What the future holds is a whole other issue which you probably do not want to hear my feelings on.jmo

Cya TunaVic

It's been extra bitter for me. I had left CA for a number of years and was shocked to have seen what has happened. Initially I was bitter about all the saltwater fishing closures that had occurred, but perhaps they were justified.

Cya, I think I know what the future holds also. I know what the state legislature's agenda is. It's obvious. But I'll take your advise and just try to enjoy what is.