PDA

View Full Version : LOL Dink @ San Onofre

jplee3
08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
So we finally made our way to a beach for some surf fishing. This was the first time my wife was really able to fish and practice. Still not sure how much she will get into it - I'm highly doubtful but hopeful at the same time. We'll see... Anyway, we ended up at San Onofre after deliberating what to do after our 10am eye appointments in the Trabuco Canyon area. Originally the plan was just to head down to Coronado but decided to keep it local and go to Newport Beach. Then I had a change of mind and wanted to try something outside my element (and for the first time), so San Onofre it was.

Man, it's so hard being an early bird! I wish I was one after hitting the throngs of people that were there by mid-day. Really, it wasn't too bad - just mostly bad near the main entrance. We camped in an open spot closer to the entrance at first and were skunking it up. We decided to move a bit north and try to get away from the crowds. Found a decent spot and I threw my LCs, a panther martin, and a swimbait with no such luck. Ended up relying on the trusty ole perch crack camo sandworms and it paid off with a dink lol:

Courtesy of my wife and her photo-stitching skills...
https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1174957_10101962541532891_238213737_n.jpg

I got a good burn on the neck and cheeks from not re-applying/applying enough, and my wife got mad, but otherwise it was a relaxing day. I've come to realize that we really shy away from going to the beaches and getting stuck in the crowds! But maybe it's that way because we always end up going when everyone else is going (later in the morning/afternoon). It's harder once you're married too - I'd feel bad leaving my wife at home all the time just to fish. That's why I bought a license for her, in hopes that it could be a win-win. But so far, it's been harder getting to the water than anticipated... *sigh*

murrieta angler
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Try, try and try again.
Next time, try the trails.
Little bit of a walk, but there are some isolated places there pretty much any time of the day.
Thanks for reporting.
Robert
<><

Wingnut
08-26-2013, 07:39 PM
At least you spent quality time and had fun... and beating the Skunk. :Big Grin:
Come to HG5... the both of you will have a great time. :Wink:

jplee3
08-26-2013, 08:00 PM
At least you spent quality time and had fun... and beating the Skunk. :Big Grin:
Come to HG5... the both of you will have a great time. :Wink:

Thanks guys. I'll look into hiking the trails if we go next time - I didn't do too much Google recon beforehand as it was a spur of the moment decision.

I'd love to make it to HG5, but I'll actually be down in San Quintin that weekend. Several buddies and I are planning a trip down there... gonna see if we can lock into some bft or yft maybe. But hopefully some good quality yellows, lings, rocks, etc at the least :)

jplee3
08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Dohhh, I just realized we were at the wrong place hahaha! My wife just pwned me and was like "uhh we were at San Clemente State Beach" oops hahahaa. I was wondering why none of what I was looking at on Google maps looked remotely familiar. Ahhh well....next time :)