PDA

View Full Version : New location great results 8_24_13 morning fishing

Slickwill43
08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Decided to venture out of the OC and hit the beach down between San Clemente and Onofre (per suggestion)

Brought squid, shrimp, and clams to see what like what, pre-rigged carolina and double droppers depending on conditions

Arrived to grey grey grey cloud cover as has been the usual most of this summer by my experiences, didn't start to burn off until
after 10am

Firs location near the SC main park, nothing doing except for one (thornback?) ray, so we moved about a half mile down towards San Onofre
found a nice are with a deep trench and some rips with a big area of slack between.

Bam! We started getting hit left and right, BSPs hitting hooks way to big for them, Sting-Rays, Thornback rays (new species), Bat rays (new species), 1 tiny YFC, 1 small grey smoothhound (new species) and many Shovelnose.

The best was my buddies PB shovelnose that fought really hard the last 10 feet going on 6 runs against his full drag until I could grab his tail
and help pull him in.

Check out the eye-candy, awesome day of fishing is all I can say and glad we tried out a new area.

Question does everyone else have a hard time getting a hook out of a bat rays mouth, there crushing plate is ridiculously tough.

bachiboy
08-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Nice mix plate of fish there. Sounds like a fun-filled day!

Congrats!!!
Don

DockRat
08-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Oh yah ! Magic trench, great selection of fish there.
Thanks for the post.
DR

skunked4life
08-26-2013, 10:26 AM
2 new species and a bunch of perch? Sounds like a ton of fun! Keep at it and you will easily add to your new species list quickly!