PDA

View Full Version : Mono Hot Springs info....

FishinUSA
08-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Everyone! The family and I are planning on taking a trip to the Mono Hot Springs Resort over the Labor Day weekend. This will be our first trip to the western side of the Sierras... We are planning on fishing the following areas: Huntington Lake, Doris Lake, San Joaquin River. Any information about these or any other fisheries nearby would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on bringing my usual arsenal of PB, Night Crawlers, Thomas Bouyants, Panther Martins, and a few other smaller lures. Would love to get any tips or info you may have as this is our first trip up that way.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike
FishinUSA

harlanx1
08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
the discharge at huntington can be good use silver mepps 1 or 2. This lake has some monster browns in it also try a rebel or simular plug that looks like a baby.

rainbow trout. I have scored some really nice rainbows and a ocasional brown there.

Jig-Guy
08-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Have a good time I have not been there since 1953! I do remmember the river was kind of big & fast but we did catch fish. The camp grounds were clean and they had those hot springs tubs & showers then. By this time in life I bet nothing is close to how nice it was when I was kid, 12 years old.
Enjoy and post some pictures when you get home.
Bill

FishinUSA
08-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks Harlan!

I will definitely post pics Jig-Guy...

Has anyone had any luck at Edison Lake?

creekside
08-25-2013, 01:25 PM
You definitely have what you need in the way of lures. Spinner baits dressed with natural hackle, squirrel tail or buck tail should bring on the bite. Johnson Splinter spoons gold and silver work well. That area is also known for there hot springs. My wife and myself enjoyed them immensely after a day of hiking and fishing (and the hot springs were free to bath in). The south fork of the San Joaquin alongside the hot springs held some nice 10 to 12 inch trout. We had a blast there. have fun and good luck on the vacation fishinUSA, and enjoy the ride up to the hot springs, incredible scenery.

FishinUSA
08-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks creekside! I sent you a pm with a question...

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Fishin
On Kaiser Pass Rd. on your way to the hot springs there is a small lake alongside the road called Portal Forebay where they stock rainbows. Many ppl don't know it but there are also brook and brown trout in it too.
Other than Huntington and Edison Lakes there's Florence Lake, also known for big brown trout.
During the summer they run a ferry for backpackers across Edison and Florence that drops you off the far end of the lakes where the creeks feed the lakes and there is always good fishing there. Not sure on the ferry schedule but it's worth the trip for a half day.
I'd also take along some live crickets for bait fishing. You can pick up some on your way up at Shaver Sporting Goods.
I've been fishing that area for over 50 years annually and not much has changed. Great scenery, lots of wildlife, and great fishing if you know where to go.
Have fun, take many pics, and we'll be waiting for your report.
TTFM

MustHuntAndFish
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Harlan!

I will definitely post pics Jig-Guy...

Has anyone had any luck at Edison Lake?

This was on Memorial Weekend... They were caught trolling. Edison like the other lakes in the area is very low now. The ferry is not running due to low lake level. If you are just shore fishing... I'd give Edison a try anyway. Power bait for the rainbows and night crawlers for the browns. As someone else mentioned... Portal Forbay and Ward lakes on Kaiser pass are good bets.

Good Luck.