PDA

View Full Version : Power pro braided

esteban1t
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
I have smaller reels for trout, and max line size is 6 pound, will it be okay to put 20 pound braid on my reels for catfish, i heard braid is small in diameter.

Fishin4runner
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
You can put braid on those reels but beware. Braided line can cut through and ruin the bail and the rod guides. If the reels and rods are not meant for braid I wouldn't suggest using it. For catfish just pick up a cheap spinning combo from wall mart. It will run you about the same price as the spool of power pro.

esteban1t
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
dang /: i guess ill just stick to 6 pound line and set the drag a little loose then !
Thanks For the info, Dont want to mess up my pflueger reel !

Frequent Flyer
08-23-2013, 07:17 PM
youre good with the 20 lb, or the 6. Just go to turners or somewhere that knows what they're doing to put it on. Make sure to put either a piece of tape or some sort of backing (crappy mono) and you wont have the digging in isusue. I use exclusively pp on my stradic cI4

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-23-2013, 07:40 PM
esteban
There are other sizes of Power Pro that you might want to consider. They make 8, 10, and 15 lb test braid also. I have 8# on my ultralight spinning reels for trout fishing and even though the spools are quite small, they hold plenty of line since the line size diameter is about the same as 2# mono.
Check ebay for all the sizes available since no tackle shop has every size available. They also have some pretty good prices too and remember to figure in the cost of shipping.
TTFM

esteban1t
08-23-2013, 07:45 PM
esteban
There are other sizes of Power Pro that you might want to consider. They make 8, 10, and 15 lb test braid also. I have 8# on my ultralight spinning reels for trout fishing and even though the spools are quite small, they hold plenty of line since the line size diameter is about the same as 2# mono.
Check ebay for all the sizes available since no tackle shop has every size available. They also have some pretty good prices too and remember to figure in the cost of shipping.
TTFM
I know i was thinking about getting some, but what fishing4runner said got me pretty scared haha

Frequent Flyer
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I know i was thinking about getting some, but what fishing4runner said got me pretty scared haha

it wont cut through to the spool, or the bail/ Just don't use micro guides on your rods and you're good to go. I've been using it year round on my stradic and phenix rod with no issues.

Fishin4runner
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM
your shimano stradic cI4 is built to be compatible with braided line. Phenix rods use either aluminum oxide or titanium oxide guides so that they are also compatible with braided line. If the guides and the reel are not meant for braid I wouldn't suggest using it as I have seen what braided line will do to rods and reels not meant for it. But then again it is not my gear so it is up to you. Another factor with braid is that is has no stretch so use a shock leader or set the drag looser then usual or you will miss fish.

esteban1t
08-24-2013, 10:57 PM
i think im just going to stick with the 6lb test. Hopefully it holds up against the cats ! i only caught 2-4 pound cats so idk if it will hold up on any bigger than that

Carptain_Bao
08-24-2013, 11:19 PM
If you fish irvine as I think you do, you definitely need something heavier. I won't go less than 15 lb test mono. You just don't wanna risk your shot at a DD. But for stocking sized cat, 6lb will be just fine.

esteban1t
08-24-2013, 11:29 PM
im not looking to catch any DD size fish as i just started catfishing like 2 weeks ago lol. im just looking to have line that will catch the average fish, so 6 pound will be good for the average size cat at irvine ? I am use to just using 2 pound test and still being able to catch huge trout haha i keep on forgetting cats are a little different

Jig-Guy
08-25-2013, 12:28 AM
OK big blue catfish at Irvine, 60 pounds!!! You want to land the big catfish and have your picture taken with the fish then CPR (catch-picture-release). If you are in a boat use your 146 Penn reel with 30 pound test line, a big J hook and a big bait + a sinker. 6 pound test is a waste of time use the bigger stuff and land the DD's. If on shore use the catfish spinning outfit from Wal-Mart. Easy to do and Irvine has a lot of big catfish for you to catch.
Go Get Them!:Fishing Catch:

esteban1t
08-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Haha , you know what thats a good idea, im going to take mine and my grandpas penn reels and spool them with the 30 pound berkley big game line i have. Might be out on thursday .

Cadillyak
08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
im not looking to catch any DD size fish as i just started catfishing like 2 weeks ago lol. im just looking to have line that will catch the average fish, so 6 pound will be good for the average size cat at irvine ? I am use to just using 2 pound test and still being able to catch huge trout haha i keep on forgetting cats are a little different

First time I have heard of someone not looking to catch a DD. You can't pick and choose what fish eats your bait. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. As you know, fish love structure, which should definitely make you wanna beef up your line. Unless you are fishing from a boat in deep deep water.

titos334
09-08-2013, 12:22 AM

6lb is fine for the average size, they will give you a good fight but you should come out the victor most of the time. I typically fish with 10lb and have no trouble, my largest a 30lb was caught on 12lb and it really wasn't that big of an ordeal.

Tom
09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Power Pro or Nanofil will NOT cut your guides
That was old braided line from 20 years ago
I use power pro in 4 5 and 8lbs text daily
I also use Nanofil
I have no idea why people still say Braided line will ruin your guides or bails This is simply Not true unless you are using a cheap rod with made in china chrome guides
I do remember when this was true But 25 years have passed that old technology
Power pro will be an Upgrade for you. Not sure you need anything more than 5lbs test Power Pro and a 4lb mono leader
Tom

esteban1t
09-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I have my Penn squidder with 25 pound big game line use that with a big chunk of mack, or whole shrimp with head
a new basspro baitcaster with 15 pound braid paired with TFO trigger rod
and a couple of cheaper spinning combos with 10 pound line
might put some braid on those spinning rods though since you convinced me it would be okay