PDA

View Full Version : September 1st. Blast em

Joshua
08-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Dove opener is Sunday Sept 1st. A much anticipated date. For me the dove opener create more excitement than the trout opener.
I have been driving to Phoenix the past 2 Sundays and did some scouting along the Salton Sea. The private fields I hunt were holding alot of birds. Will be a quick limit for sure, then get back to OC for my daughters softball tourny.

For those that will be in the field, good luck and be safe.

If it flies, it dies.

bowler
08-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Yup. If I go I might try the high desert. Last time I went to Niland a few years ago I almost got peppered twice in the same field. Since then we hunted are friends ranch in moor park and max ppl there is 3 hunters.

Joshua
09-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Late report
I had done some preseason scouting so I knew to expect some good shooting. Got to our spot before sunrise. Grabbed a box of shells and went to my normal spot. Much to my dismay, 3 truck loads of people showed up and the circus car kept producing more clowns. THese were obviously locals. Must have been 20 people shooting, many of them were kids. WOW it was ugly and unsafe. These idiots would shoot in your direction, over your shoulder. They were actually on an adjoining property so I couldn't tell them to leave. There field was the field that I saw 100s of birds on my scouting trips. They did venture onto the ranch I am allowed to hunt, so I told them to leave. Conveniently they forgot how to speak English. Policia and La Migra got their attention. Despite the extra shooters in the area, I managed a quick limit. Which allowed my to go into defensive mode. I kept holding my spot to keep the idiots from moving in. I walked to the car once, to come back and find this moron about 10 feet from my chair. And he shot at a bird right over my shoulder. I felt him mount his gun so I leaned over and plugged my ears. I cussed at him in English and Spanish and some language that I made up. F-You is a universal language
My nephew was in a Red Bull funk and wasnt shooting very well. He did get his limit before 8:30am. We drove around the area and found several other promising fields. Walked one field and watched 100 birds escape out the back edge of the field. I made a mental note of this field. It was new citrus trees, so it will be productive for another 3 years.
Made it home for my daughters softball tournament. Only missed one game, made it to the championship game.
My nephew went back last Saturday and had to work for a limit. The birds didnt fly until about 8am. I guess they learned that when you fly early you get shot. Once it is 105 degrees, the 2 legged guys with bang sticks go away.

Viejo
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Late report
I had done some preseason scouting so I knew to expect some good shooting. Got to our spot before sunrise. Grabbed a box of shells and went to my normal spot. Much to my dismay, 3 truck loads of people showed up and the circus car kept producing more clowns. THese were obviously locals. Must have been 20 people shooting, many of them were kids. WOW it was ugly and unsafe. These idiots would shoot in your direction, over your shoulder. They were actually on an adjoining property so I couldn't tell them to leave. There field was the field that I saw 100s of birds on my scouting trips. They did venture onto the ranch I am allowed to hunt, so I told them to leave. Conveniently they forgot how to speak English. Policia and La Migra got their attention. Despite the extra shooters in the area, I managed a quick limit. Which allowed my to go into defensive mode. I kept holding my spot to keep the idiots from moving in. I walked to the car once, to come back and find this moron about 10 feet from my chair. And he shot at a bird right over my shoulder. I felt him mount his gun so I leaned over and plugged my ears. I cussed at him in English and Spanish and some language that I made up. F-You is a universal language
My nephew was in a Red Bull funk and wasnt shooting very well. He did get his limit before 8:30am. We drove around the area and found several other promising fields. Walked one field and watched 100 birds escape out the back edge of the field. I made a mental note of this field. It was new citrus trees, so it will be productive for another 3 years.
Made it home for my daughters softball tournament. Only missed one game, made it to the championship game.
My nephew went back last Saturday and had to work for a limit. The birds didnt fly until about 8am. I guess they learned that when you fly early you get shot. Once it is 105 degrees, the 2 legged guys with bang sticks go away.

Are you shooting 20 ga?