PDA

View Full Version : Fishin' the Delta help.

DEVOREFLYER
08-20-2013, 09:00 AM
I will be making a trip to the Delta (Russo’s Marina in Bethel Island) the week of Sept 9th for a Bass Cat Owners Invitational Tournament. As I have never fished the Delta before any heads up as to areas and techniques for that time of the year would be appreciated to shorten the learning curve. It is a vast area and I have GPS to keep from getting lost to often. My ex business partner will be flying in from South Carolina to be my back seater and I would like to make his trip memorable.

uscjeffer
08-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I've been fishing out of Russo's around a couple times a month this summer. Fishing around Frank's has been yielding large numbers of fish but not of much size...probably around a pound or less which won't win anything on the Delta. I've been having more luck heading out towards Mildred. Most of my fish have been caught either on a frog or punching. I will basically fish the frog until the wind gets bad then switch over and punch. Other than that cranking the rip-rap has been also pretty good and allows you to cover a lot of water pretty quick.

DEVOREFLYER
08-20-2013, 10:07 PM
usc we are on the same page with Mr. Froggy and the punching. Any color suggestion and I am thinking 3/4 oz weight on the punching with 65 lb braid, do you think I should go heavier on the braid as I haven't been in heavy cover before and don't know what to expect.

Jig-Guy
08-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I was at the ICAST show in Las Vegas in July and the manufacturer of this top water bait called the bird! I do know that a larger model bass will eat a bird. Two weeks ago a guy caught a nice bass and it spit up a red winged black bird in his live well on Lake Mead.
This bait is a Delta bait like the frog. Check these folks out for information.
www.flipinthebird.com
(408) 771-8814 ask for Dan
The Bird Lure Company
They are located at 670 ardis Ave. San Jose CA 95117
Good luck on your trip and I hope you get bit and win the event.
jig-guy Bill

uscjeffer
08-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Frogs I basically fish two colors...white and black. Right now I'm fishing more white frogs. I will occasionally throw a rage tail toad over the larger mats of grass to help cover water. As for punching I pretty much only use 1.5 oz with a punch skirt. If I happen to not use a punch skirt I may downsize to a 1.25 or 1 oz weight. 3/4 oz weight won't get through the cover. I punch and frog with 65lb braid. Some guys will punch with 80lb but I don't see the need. Colors I fish the pretty standard stuff, Green pumpkin, California 420 or black/blue/hematoma RI Beavers.

It was an adjustment for me when I moved up here from socal. I fished a lot of 6,8,10 lb test lines. Up here on the delta I think the lightest I fish with is probably 12lb test. I'm usually in the 15-20lb range. So with that in mind also ditch the 4" robos and stuff, I throw a lot of the bigger baits 6-7" senkos, 10" worms etc....helps eliminate the smaller bites.