PDA

View Full Version : The one that almost got away ...

Dawn Treader
08-18-2013, 08:25 PM
The water’s been warm and the sea has been calm (flatty calm) lately. Seems we get much more days than not of kelp infested breakers . A fishermen’s enemy . Work has been busy but I find my way to the surf a few week nights and at least one weekend day . The halibut have been starting to show up the past couple weeks . And the large bsp’s are still hanging out after dumping there pay-loads . Wet suit shorts ,t-shirt and bare feet , summer is great .

So I am out with my buddy Perchin Dave a few days ago and I started hooking into some big bsp’s one after another . They were all congregating around this one boiler rock . Thirteens fourteens , fifteens …two and 3 of each , and then bam drag is spinning , and the fish weaves around the rock twisting up into the kelp that’s growing off the side . I’m snagged ! Not on this fish , no way I say to Dave . The rock is about ten feet out as I wade to it , it gets about waist deep. And I see the fish …oh ya it's big ! It’s lying on the surface in the kelp , so I figured I’d grab the kelp behind him and tear it away from the rock. Then walk back to shore with the kelp and fish in one had and rod in the other . As soon as I started tearing at the kelp, the hook and fish break off the line and start drifting down into the clear water . Oh man …without thinking my rod comes flying out of my hand into the water . I immediately try reaching down with both hands after the fish a couple feet under , and to my surprise she complied . I tucked her against my chest and reached to the bottom for my rod . Dave is getting a kick out of the drama as I walk in for a photo and release . Looks like a sixteen in the photo but the tape has a bend . A hair short and 2.2 pds .

August fish for points:

1 - bsp 15.9
1 bsp 15.5
1 -bsp-15
3-bsp14.5
6-bsp14
4- short hali’s

Carry on Fellows ... Brad

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/bradfordjay1/photo_zps758a360b.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/bradfordjay1/media/photo_zps758a360b.jpg.html)

Perchin' Dave
08-18-2013, 09:34 PM
I was fishing alongside Dawn Treader and this is Perchin' Dave's account.

Brad had done very well this day, the bite was light and he had the feel. He pulled in several excellent BSP and was just about to call it a day. The light was low and Brad makes his last cast. BAM! He was smiling really big, he kinda made a grin like "Dopey" in Snow White and Seven Dwarves. I knew it was big by the bend in the rod, really big. I next see that he snagged and his prize was stuck sorta floating on top of the seaweed but Brad was -not- gonna let this one go! He wades out. His line tight he works his way to the boiler rock. What I see next shocks me. It looked as IF he threw his rod and reel back overhead and behind him and into the water. I couldn't believe it. What??? With both hands free he lunges for the fish with two hands. And after the fish was secure, he reaches back into the water trying to find his rod & reel. This is a nice fish. Really nice! But I couldn't believe Brad was going to sacrifice his rod and reel for the BSP.

And as we were laughing & talking later, apparently the line had broke as he was wading for the fish, and the reason the rod flew out of his hands. My-oh-my. Way-to-Go Dawn Treader, Nice fish. Always an honor to fish with you. You are definitely on your way to that 16.5" BSP you caught last February. Fish on! Enthusiastically! Perchin' Dave

exfactor
08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
A good account of a great story from the surf. These guys are fishy, I say. I struggled again at a northern beach this weekend, but I did meet a nice lady who wanted me to guide her on the ways of the surf. Best part of the evening was she asking me, "why is your reel on the wrong side?" lol. I gave her a shot at trying to cast it, and I'm sure you all know the results. On another note, one of my bait and wait buddies pulled a 33" white sea bass in yesterday, and he was smiling ear to ear today. Thats my "tales from the northern zone" report. 2 thumbs up Brad, and Dave!!!

skunked4life
08-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh Brad....that fish looks awfully close! First, I can tell you that I can count at least 4 times I had broken off on what I felt could have been an induction fish. No doubt in my mind they were beasts. Alas, I just shrugged it off and kept trying. Second, I applaud you for being straight on the measurement on that pig bsp! When I measured out my induction croaker, I made dang sure that it was at least 18", but knew it was more. Better be safe than sorry. I didn't cheat the measurement and am glad that you have the character to call this pig short. Still, it looks so awfully close! Third, OMG!!!!! Those are some pigs you caught and more impressive, it's late summer! Wow! Last, that story tells me how serious you are taking the challenge. That is what makes you stand out! Not only did you sacrifice gear, in the end, it turned out better for the poor toad who wod have otherwise swam around with hook and leader stuck to it. Amazing feat! Great job out there! Seriously? That was a great report! Such a fantastic way to end my weekend: to read your report! Thank you!

DockRat
08-19-2013, 06:42 AM
That is quite a story and piggie. 4 posts since March and your a SWAT prospect ?
You need to step your game up !
Thanks for the report, great read.
DR

skunked4life
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh Brad....that fish looks awfully close! First, I can tell you that I can count at least 4 times I had broken off on what I felt could have been an induction fish. No doubt in my mind they were beasts. Alas, I just shrugged it off and kept trying. Second, I applaud you for being straight on the measurement on that pig bsp! When I measured out my induction croaker, I made dang sure that it was at least 18", but knew it was more. Better be safe than sorry. I didn't cheat the measurement and am glad that you have the character to call this pig short. Still, it looks so awfully close! Third, OMG!!!!! Those are some pigs you caught and more impressive, it's late summer! Wow! Last, that story tells me how serious you are taking the challenge. That is what makes you stand out! Not only did you sacrifice gear, in the end, it turned out better for the poor toad who wod have otherwise swam around with hook and leader stuck to it. Amazing feat! Great job out there! Seriously? That was a great report! Such a fantastic way to end my weekend: to read your report! Thank you!

You DID IT! 16' on the dot! Congrats! Welcome Brother! :High Five:

Dawn Treader
08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
It's official , Sir Arthur has dubbed me a Swat Brother for my catch (big thank you). Looking forward to days ahead as a team member and hanging with new friends . S4L thanks for your post and comments !!! You may notice I took on a new name now that it's official . I realized another fnn'r already went by DockRat so I came up with Dawn Treader ...more reports coming , and see u on the water soon ...Brad

PS . Dock ...yep time to step up my game , now that I've stepped off your name !

skunked4life
08-19-2013, 10:17 AM
It's official , Sir Arthur has dubbed me a Swat Brother for my catch (big thank you). Looking forward to days ahead as a team member and hanging with new friends . S4L thanks for your post and comments !!! You may notice I took on a new name now that it's official . I realized another fnn'r already went by DockRat so I came up with Dawn Treader ...more reports coming , and see u on the water soon ...Brad

Nice new screen name! I just got done putting your info into my phone as "Wharf Rat" to text you. I will change it right away! Congrats again "Dawn Treader!"

SP Dan
08-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Hey Brad with new aka: the "Dawn Treader"!

"Congratulations" on your induction into S.W.A.T.!

That was one monstrous 16" BSP indeed! :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

DockRat
08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Dawn Threader, It wasn't meant to be taken as a insult, relax. Just an idea. Many members fish and don't report much. Even skunk reports are good. Say a guy goes and puts in 3 hours for a 5" BSP, write a report. Could be some good info in it, tides, salad ect. What helps the website is posts, replies ect. How is someone supposed to know of a name change ?
Congrats on your induction too.
DR

bachiboy
08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Way to go Brad! Welcome aboard...although this was just a formality.:Wink: That's a pretty amazing fish count you've got for the month with some quality pigs! But, dude, that is SERIOUSLY going after "the one".:EyePop: I've trounced on fish before and waded in pretty deep to try and free fish, but not sure I woulda ditched my rod.:LOL: That's a man on a mission right there.

Congrats, BIG time and great report!
Don

Dawn Treader
08-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks bachiboy , the rod ditching was a sudden impulse. I think the fact the water was only three feet deep and crystal clear, and I do take my reel fully apart pretty often , it was a no brainer ;) LOL

bloox8
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Congrats Brad!
Way to go above and beyond for you trophy fish. Life is too short to not do silly or risky things. Otherwise, whats the point!?
... But I don't know about tossing my rod and reel in the soup. Thats pretty crazy :LOL: I am glad you got it out safe.

Thien

Wingnut
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Congratulations Brad, welcome to the Brotherhood. But like I said, we already considered you a part of the family. :Big Grin:
That BSP might be a hair short of 16", but your integrity and the extra effort you made to get that fish more than made up for it. :Applause:
The Challenge rules don't change... but it can bend a little. :Wink:
Looking forward to seeing you again next month at HG5. :Cool:

Nipple Twister
08-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Brad,

Congrats on the PIG of a induction fish........well done........

murrieta angler
08-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Hey Brad,
Welcome to the, " He-Man, Woman Haters Club"....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMQ
j/k Tess..:Big Grin:
You've been doing well in the count department, keep it up.
I look forward to meeting you at HG5.
Robert
<><

Dawn Treader
08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Bloox , Wing , Nip and Mur ...thanks for the congrats ! Looking forward to HG5 . Ten days left for team Butt Heads to catch up to team Bones , I mean Killerz .