PDA

View Full Version : dvl 8/18

Matt_Magnone
08-18-2013, 05:33 PM
fished from 12-4 today looking for a little wind action. wind was definitely there and it lasted until i left. main objective was to go throw big stuff looking for a quality bite. the swimbait bites been there but its been a grind. totally wind driven.

decision making was a little off as the wind was blowing out of an awkward direction. ended up with a couple fish and one BIG bite 20 ft from the boat. saw the fish, felt the bite, reeled down, swept set only to realize my drag was loose as all hell. i watched the fish spin, shake and roll off the hook while i just sat there staring. it all happened too fast and i just couldnt react in time. oh well. thats how this lifestyle goes.

the "sea ayu" mag claw and the slideswimmer got all the action for my session today. follow the mudlines and fish where the mudline meets the trees. all in all the bite was a little slow but the fish were extremely active. going down the bank with smaller baits ought to KILL them right now.

Hardcor
08-24-2013, 10:56 AM
fished from 12-4 today looking for a little wind action. wind was definitely there and it lasted until i left. main objective was to go throw big stuff looking for a quality bite. the swimbait bites been there but its been a grind. totally wind driven.

decision making was a little off as the wind was blowing out of an awkward direction. ended up with a couple fish and one BIG bite 20 ft from the boat. saw the fish, felt the bite, reeled down, swept set only to realize my drag was loose as all hell. i watched the fish spin, shake and roll off the hook while i just sat there staring. it all happened too fast and i just couldnt react in time. oh well. thats how this lifestyle goes.

the "sea ayu" mag claw and the slideswimmer got all the action for my session today. follow the mudlines and fish where the mudline meets the trees. all in all the bite was a little slow but the fish were extremely active. going down the bank with smaller baits ought to KILL them right now.

Matt you give great detailed reports ! I started at Silverwood this year and bounced to Pyramid and Silverwood to Castaic and Silverwood to DVL and back and forth and did video's along the way ! The DVL site is a tuff nut to crack ! Everybody has a big secret here ! When I mentioned Shad in the marina ! I got PM's like I was telling people where the gold is ! Even though you haven't answered any of my questions in the past, I wanted to let you know your reports have helped me with the green kind when I target them ! I know there is a Striper Bite going on right now and there are no reports !

http://youtu.be/Wut1VvX1isc

HuskerRod
08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Not doubt in my mind Matts reports are the best and if I still fished DVL I'd be all over them before everyone of my trips.

DVL is sort of the Oakland Raiders of fishing. Either you love the place or hate it..their are no in betweens. Back in the good 'ol days, however, everyody raved and loved DVL. Through a bunch of bad business practices, unfortunate circumstances, and whatever people have just turned on the place. Used to be when I told people I lived so close to the lake I could see the dam from my upstairs office window they were jubiliant, envious, interested in moving into the area to be as close as me. Now, people are just glad they dont have to live in Hemet and ask me how the bite is at Skinner or Perris.

Matt_Magnone
08-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Matt you give great detailed reports ! I started at Silverwood this year and bounced to Pyramid and Silverwood to Castaic and Silverwood to DVL and back and forth and did video's along the way ! The DVL site is a tuff nut to crack ! Everybody has a big secret here ! When I mentioned Shad in the marina ! I got PM's like I was telling people where the gold is ! Even though you haven't answered any of my questions in the past, I wanted to let you know your reports have helped me with the green kind when I target them ! I know there is a Striper Bite going on right now and there are no reports !

http://youtu.be/Wut1VvX1isc

i really appreciate that man. i love that lake so much and it can be a pain in the butt to figure out. its all about helping out man.

yep there's a striper bite for sure. ive been blasted a bunch for talking about other peoples bites so im sorta sketched about talking much about them. not to mention the fact that i'm not out targeting them makes me feel kinda like im blowing smoke.

i'll tell you this much. the last time i had the graph on (last week) i located great amounts of fish mid water column. 30' over top of 60' on main lake structure spots. points and humps in specific. the fish im seeing on the graph vary from isolate marks to small pods. i can only assume the isolated stuff is carp, bass or the loner larger striper but the spaghetti we all know very well. at that time the thermocline if i remember correctly. dont hold me to it as i vaguely remember, was in i think 30'. being that the most oxygen rich part of the water column is in 30', bingo you'll find bait, and predator species.

if it were me i were to target them, i would bust out the spoon. its funny most guys forgot about it once the fly thing came around. id jut hop that baby back through the water column. either that or bust out a troll, although im sure im not good at effectively targeting those fish. downrigger at, above or just below 30' ought to be rediculous.

who knows haha.

thanks again for the compliments!