PDA

View Full Version : I Did't Get The Memo and Almost Got S.W.A.T.ed

SP Dan
08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
This report is a bit of a lengthy read ..... so just scroll to bottom for final fish count. :Cool:

Duration: Feet wet from 0545 hrs to 1030 hrs.
Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous.
Sun Rise: 0617hrs, Sun Set: 1936 hrs. (The day lite hours are getting shorter and shorter every week).
Air: 61 - 81 deg, Wind: 7 - 15 MPH, Water: 61 deg, cooling down ever so slightly each week.
Surf: 1 ft, Swell: 0.6 ft, Sec Intervals: 9
Conditions: flat (with a few rouge waves thrown in the mix), clear and clean, almost salad free.
Tides: 0600 hrs ICT 2.4 ft, 0848 hrs HT 4.1 ft, 1100 hrs OGT 3.0 ft, 1348 hrs LT 1.7 ft.
Isolunar Forecast: Major Period: 0908 to 1208 hrs. :BFish::BFish::BFish:
Assault Tactic: LC 110 MS Anchovy and Drop-shot.
Gear: Saint Croix Avid 9'-6" 8-17 lb MF, Van Staal VS-100G reel with 55 lb 8-carrier braided Diawa Samurai line for my LC. My second setup is the same set-up except I have 20 lb Izor XXX mono on the reel and I use it for the Drop-shot..
AO (Area of Operation): Pacific Ocean, LA County

I completed my 3/4 mile hike in the pitch dark and stepped into the salt at my 1st AO at 0545 .... right at gray light.
The conditions looked great and I'm thinking to my self that it's going to be another fantastic session like yesterday!
So I proceed to throw the LC 110 from every possible angle and direction imaginable....... for not even a thump nor a bump! NADA!
My session only lasted from 0545 hrs to 0635. And that was too long! :LOL:
I guess I didn't receive the memo that all the fish pulled out and relocated over night! :Rolls Eyes:
I decided to abort from this AO and made the trek over "Heart Attack Summit" from 0635 to 0650 hrs. It's a 15 minute trek.

I completed my 1/4 mile relocate hike and stepped into the salt at my 2nd AO at 0650.
The conditions didn't look as good as the first AO but .... here I am! And so I started throwing the LC immediately.
For the first forty minutes .... I got NADA! So I decided to tie up my second set-up with the Drop-shot.
First cast .... finally I get a thump and a line pull at 0730 hrs.... I'm thinking junior WSB .... but ended up being a YFC! That's Ok ... It's my skunk buster! :Big Grin:
My next hook up was one hour later at 0830 hrs ... a 12" Hali ... that's a bit better! I continued with the Drop-shot and beached two more YFC's.
It's getting to be High Tide and the ocean would be calm as I reported above but then all of a sudden I was facing five sets approx 3 ft over my head and at 4-5 seconds apart!! :EyePop: I kept running out to clear the wave curls and took a lot of salty face slaps ...spit, spit, spit ...and then it got huge and ....... I had to take the stance and lean in to waves crashing 3 ft over the top of me! I mean I'm completely under water!! Spit, spit, spit! HUH!!! :EyePop: Even though I didn't get the high surf Memo .... I did receive Poseidon's water swating! :LOL:
I was getting ready to give up but decided to get out of there and switch back to my LC throwing rig and I'm glad that I did.

I got out of that area (beaten, soaked and :Sad: feelings bruised!) and hiked to the far north end of the AO and the conditions were looking stellar and so I start casting again for NADA! And I'm once again thinking that I didn't receive the memo that all the fish were out of town for the remainder of this weekend! :Rolls Eyes:
So I made a desperate move .... I button down the drag on my Van Staal (it has a 30 lb drag) and start casting way deep inside the fingers of the kelp alley-ways :EyePop: and on the first cast .... Blam! I PTO'd it out of the kelp as fast as I could.... it ended up being a 21" Hali :Big Grin: .... I couldn't have been happier! :Big Grin: I also couldn't get any more action from this location and so I thought that I would fish my way out and call it a day.

I'm moving slowly to my left ... casting ahead and in front of me and I didn't notice the flooded boiler next to me and I stepped in the hole... over knee deep ... just as a wave raises up and then hits me in the face, which would have normally been no more than at the top of my legs! "Oh well....salt happens"! :Rolls Eyes: :Embarrassed: Spit, spit, spit!
I'm back up on my feet and know I get a good look at all of the boilers in front of me. So I figured ..... "What the heck!" and I cast one out in front of the boilers and .... BLAM! I beached it quickly and it taped out as a 16" Calico Bass!

Final fish count: (3) YFC, (2) short Hali's with the largest being 21" and (1) 16" Calico Bass. 7 points for the team today. :Smile: It's been a nice weekend!
Next time I'll look for the memo! :Wink:

All fish were CPR'd and only one fish picture was taken of the 16" Checker side due to most fish were released in the water with a quick release shake from my pliers. :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

skunked4life
08-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Dan! Oh man, you have my permission as team captain to take a break! You have contributed not only by adding points, but also by motivating me and the rest of the crew by your persistence and intel! Great job out there sir! When life, HG5 and the rest of the summer dust settles, let's plan a lengthy and relaxing session...no points, no induction fish, nothing but you and me and Poseidon.

Ken

PONTOON
08-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Dan, I enjoy reading your posts! :Cool:

I have always admired your positive attitude and your "Never give up" way of fishing the surf. I knew before getting to the end of this report that the "Danimal" made the necessary changes and adjustments to bring some fish to the beach.:Wink:

Great job out there Dan and I hope to see you soon. :Thumbs Up:

sidified
08-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Way to trek it out, Dan.. I may try gray light at that second AO tomorrow.. then head north to Alabama..

DockRat
08-19-2013, 06:25 AM
[B]

It's getting to be High Tide and the ocean would be calm as I reported above but then all of a sudden I was facing five sets approx 3 ft over my head :LOL: and at 4-5 seconds apart!! :EyePop: I kept running out to clear the wave curls and took a lot of salty face slaps :LOL:...spit, spit, spit ...and then it got huge and ....... I had to take the stance and lean in to waves crashing 3 ft over the top of me! :LOL: I mean I'm completely under water!! :LOL:Spit, spit, spit! HUH!!! :EyePop: Even though I didn't get the high surf Memo :Embarrassed:

I stepped in the hole... over knee deep ... just as a wave raises up and then hits me in the face,:LOL: which would have normally been no more than at the top of my legs! "Oh well....salt happens"! :Rolls Eyes: :Embarrassed: Spit, spit, spit! :LOL:

[SIZE=4]U Crazy Danimal !
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/dan_jk/the20danimal20animals20xc4.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/dan_jk/media/the20danimal20animals20xc4.jpg.html)

Sometimes those rogue wave sneaker sets over there can be caused by a container ship way offshore
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/ocjr2003/HPIM2584.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/ocjr2003/media/HPIM2584.jpg.html)

bachiboy
08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Man Dan, gotta be careful out there brotha! Sounds like Poseidon mistook you for me and sent in some rogue sets to have some laughs. As Nate would say, not safe to stand near Bachi when your out there.:LOL: Glad you made it outta there without any damage, a little soaked, but in good health. Way to overcome the water thrashing and end up with a nice little fish count too...topped off with a great checker. Looking forward to hearing more of your successful sessions soon!

Don

SP Dan
08-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Dan! Oh man, you have my permission as team captain to take a break! You have contributed not only by adding points, but also by motivating me and the rest of the crew by your persistence and intel! Great job out there sir! When life, HG5 and the rest of the summer dust settles, let's plan a lengthy and relaxing session...no points, no induction fish, nothing but you and me and Poseidon.

Ken

Hi ya Brotha Ken,
Like Huck and Fin ...... I'll be looking forward to it my friend! :Wink:

Dan, I enjoy reading your posts! :Cool:

I have always admired your positive attitude and your "Never give up" way of fishing the surf. I knew before getting to the end of this report that the "Danimal" made the necessary changes and adjustments to bring some fish to the beach.:Wink:

Great job out there Dan and I hope to see you soon. :Thumbs Up:

Thanx Brotha PONTOON,

I have always appreciated your responses as well on mine and everyone else's posts!
I look forward to positive words that you give to all of us ... thank you for that Sir!
I hope that we will be able to spend a session in the salt before HG-5 arrives! :Cool:

Way to trek it out, Dan.. I may try gray light at that second AO tomorrow.. then head north to Alabama..

Hi ya Sid,
I've already responded to your post and may I say .... Congratulations on a fun session! :Big Grin:

U Crazy Danimal !
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/dan_jk/the20danimal20animals20xc4.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/dan_jk/media/the20danimal20animals20xc4.jpg.html)

Sometimes those rogue wave sneaker sets over there can be caused by a container ship way offshore
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/ocjr2003/HPIM2584.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/ocjr2003/media/HPIM2584.jpg.html)

Hi ya DR,

I kept looking out to the horizon for large ships but couldn't see them from below the breakers or from beneath the suds! :LOL:
Will I be seeing you at HG-5?

Man Dan, gotta be careful out there brotha! Sounds like Poseidon mistook you for me and sent in some rogue sets to have some laughs. As Nate would say, not safe to stand near Bachi when your out there.:LOL: Glad you made it outta there without any damage, a little soaked, but in good health. Way to overcome the water thrashing and end up with a nice little fish count too...topped off with a great checker. Looking forward to hearing more of your successful sessions soon!

Don

Hi ya Don,

What I was doing was ... keeping my eye on the dirty water and trying to fish only the clean water close to it, because that is what the Halibut like.
(I know :BFish: because I asked one!:LOL:) I just happened to step too close to the murky water and was swallowed :EyePop: up by a flooded boiler!
I truly believe that Poseidon was just trying to get my attention so that I would cast out at these boilers for the Calico Bass he had in mind for me! :Smile:

Wingnut
08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
You've been pounding the surf hard lately Danimal... I think Poseidon is trying to slow you down a little. :Envious:
I think you're the points leader right now on your team. Keep up the great work my friend. :Big Grin:

SP Dan
08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
You've been pounding the surf hard lately Danimal... I think Poseidon is trying to slow you down a little. :Envious:
I think you're the points leader right now on your team. Keep up the great work my friend. :Big Grin:

Hey buddy!

It just feels so good to be out there in the surf ... it's my time and place to unwind and just relax! Catching fish during this time is just a plus!

I like to think of my fishing as a permanent life style and not so much as a competition .... but it does also make me feel good to contribute to a team effort with all of my friends! This is definitely a perk .... to have a common bond with my brotha's!

Wingnut: "I think Poseidon is trying to slow you down a little":Envious:. My reply: He may get me wet now and again but he will never discourage me! :Wink:

Thanks for all that you do for me Brotha Arthur! :Cool: