PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lake Under Water Trolling Video Report 8-18

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
The fishinone sent me this video of a Striped Bass hitting an Umbrella rig ! This was his first attempt and all though the camera was a was a little high,

It was pretty good ! Nice Ron ! I know it will only get better !

http://youtu.be/L9yp6j0YZiM

cutbait
08-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Nice first attempt at it.

Call it a success!

How was the bite out of curiosity? Big numbers?

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Nice first attempt at it.

Call it a success!

How was the bite out of curiosity? Big numbers?

All most sunk the boat !

cutbait
08-18-2013, 02:48 PM
All most sunk the boat !

Come on now Corey. You know I know the real answer and you can't stand to admit the youngin is right

fishinone
08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I was just about to post a report. Guess I'll jack this one.

The troll bite was slow. I trolled through at least 30 schools in lots of places, the fish were everywhere. I didn't find any really active schools I just picked up a fish here and a fish there.

I tried first to see if the big ones would play but didn't get any takers. That made for a boring first 30 minute video.

This video is from the second 30 minutes after I moved to dink alley.

I wound up catching 6 fish. 2 were 10" long, I tossed them back.

At noon I called my wife and made a lunch date.

I took this picture before I gave my fish to a couple guys in a rental boat and headed for lunch.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/U%20video/20130817_1205121_zps15c78df9.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/U%20video/20130817_1205121_zps15c78df9.jpg.html)

My goal was accomplished, I got underwater trolling video.

I've made some adjustments to the setup. Now when is this heat wave over?

cutbait
08-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I want one of those cameras Ron!

True innovTor

dk4885
08-18-2013, 03:36 PM

True innovTor

Put me on that list

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM

True innovTor

This is why Ron's helping me with a project ! He told me he bought the camera for 5 dollars or less !

He made something to put it in and bang !

In the video you can learn how Ron's U-Rigs slowly spin in a clock wise motion ! At times his baits are upside down !

I'm wondering if Ron knew this before hand ! All ways learning ! I'd like to see what mine look like on that thing Ron !

I use swivels on my baits, I wonder if it still spins ! The big one I snagged from DVL was rigged like Ron's. I gave it to Andrew !

cutbait
08-18-2013, 03:51 PM
This is why Ron's helping me with a project ! He told me he bought the camera for 5 dollars or less !

In the video you can learn how Ron's U-Rigs slowly spin in a clock wise motion ! At times his baits are upside down !

I'm wondering if Ron knew this before hand ! All ways learning ! I'd like to see what mine look like on that thing Ron !

I use swivels on my baits, I wonder if it still spins ! The big one I snagged from DVL was rigged like Ron's. I gave it to Andrew !
I noticed the spin also.

My concern mirror yours.

I'm interested in the number of fish that are interested but turn away at the last second identifying its artificial.

If any?

MikesOcean
08-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Very nice!!

Check this out!!

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/mikesocean/0ED1AB43-7C3E-49E3-99D9-C7317D5125A0-180-0000000511C86DB9_zps30d7ed71.jpg

Fishin4runner
08-18-2013, 04:15 PM
If your rigs are spinning like the one in the video you can stop it from spinning by adding heavier jigs to the bottom of the rig. The 3arm arm ones balance themselves out, if your running the six arm ones just put the heavier jigs on the two arms you want to be on the bottom.

fishinone
08-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Put me on that list

I'll get it worked out and let you guys know.

It was just under $10 for the camera. I figure that if I'm going to troll it in the places where I catch lots of fish, I'm not going to want to put $800 out there. Who knows if I'll see it again.

I noticed the spin also.

My concern mirror yours.

I'm interested in the number of fish that are interested but turn away at the last second identifying its artificial.

If any?

I balanced my first U-rigs by using heavier jigs at the bottom. They stayed upright.

Letting them spin didn't seem to cut into the catch. I catch lots of striper with the hook in their bottom jaw.

I've been thinking of using swivels on my leaders. I quit using them when I first started trolling because I was loosing them so fast and I wanted to save money. I just never started using them again. The one bad thing is when I get a mini dink and drag it a mile, it twists the line up.

I think the spin could help. It's the kind of thing that real bait balls do.

I was hoping to see fish moving in and out but I only saw that one fish. I think that there might be another behind it in one place on the video but I'm not sure.

Master Baiter1
08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I was just about to post a report. Guess I'll jack this one.

The troll bite was slow. I trolled through at least 30 schools in lots of places, the fish were everywhere. I didn't find any really active schools I just picked up a fish here and a fish there.

I wound up catching 6 fish. 2 were 10" long, I tossed them back.

I'm gonna kill you. You told me you got 6 and I said I was disappointed and you replied back 6 limit. Haha. Good one. Thanks again for the invite but as you know I couldn't make it cause I was going to Catalina with the family that day.

Letting them spin didn't seem to cut into the catch. I catch lots of striper with the hook in their bottom jaw.

I think the spin could help. It's the kind of thing that real bait balls do.

Yup. I wouldn't change a thing. Not Castaic or lake specific but I think I have mentioned to you before about what the perch do in the duct and how they shift and flash and spin and do what I call the dance. I mimic that with the lures as best I can when I see them doing that. Usually it's just by offsetting where the hook comes out of the plastic to make it swing and rotate sideways. Often I can just rotate the fluke or swimbait a little to the left or right so it doesn't swim true and actually goes sideways on a pull or pop. The theory works in a single lure application and I can see it working in a U-rig that rotates too. Actually we know it works cause it has caught a lot of fish.

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Ron ! When I fished with you, I noticed that the u-rigs were not spinning when I was checking them to see if they were tangled right before sending them back !

How deep were you running at the time and were you at 3.9 mph ?

fishinone
08-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Ron ! When I fished with you, I noticed that the u-rigs were not spinning when I was checking them to see if they were tangled right before sending them back !

How deep were you running at the time and were you at 3.9 mph ?

I don't try to make them spin. They weren't spinning at the surface on Saturday either.

If I count the camera as not affecting the depth it would have been at 12 feet when the fish hit it.

I was trying to get 3.9 MPH. I don't know if I had it right when I got hit on Saturday.

fishinone
08-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm gonna kill you. You told me you got 6 and I said I was disappointed and you replied back 6 limit. Haha. Good one.

I think that if you read that text carefully, you'll find that it says ".6 limits".

Master Baiter1
08-19-2013, 06:24 AM
I think that if you read that text carefully, you'll find that it says ".6 limits".

If the boat wasn't bouncing around I might not have missed the . part? That . is very significant!

fishinone
08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Very nice!!

Check this out!!

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/mikesocean/0ED1AB43-7C3E-49E3-99D9-C7317D5125A0-180-0000000511C86DB9_zps30d7ed71.jpg

Is that a Troll Pro?

vampirebret
08-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Very impressive!!!!

fishinone
08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Well I'm happy that it worked. I think that I've got it aimed better now.

I can't wait for the next test.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

flyhigh123
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM
could the camera be causing the spin? Since it creates some more drag, and at the right angle, the camera spins?

fishinone
08-22-2013, 06:20 AM
could the camera be causing the spin? Since it creates some more drag, and at the right angle, the camera spins?

I don't think it is but I guess it's possible. There's a swivel in the line between the camera and the u-rig. If the camera were causing significant turbulence the force would act on it also.

In the other video I can see an attractor laying up over one of u-rig arms. I might have put it out the same way again.