PDA

View Full Version : 8/17 Guests with Bananas Revenge of Stripey and Beating the Skunk

DMS
08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Today we had a friend of the family and her college age daughter. Friend has been amazed at our results and wanted very badly to go. Lulu and I really enjoy being out there having time together, but some friends call for special consideration. The boat all geared out really is good for 2, OK for 3 if the third can help with duties requiring front of boat, but 2 that have never caught a fish are another story. The early morning call did not deter our friends so we were off.

Not to digress, I thought about space and had to make some tough choices. I decided that B&W would not work as there would be nowhere to work the cutting board, no way to handle the rods in the front to help them (remember first timers) and I was feeling that trolling up 40 dinks might be a good plan. I knew I couldn't try to net shad either. So, I took out the bait rods, the shad net the back anchor and cutting board... still crowded but a bit better.

We called them at our 3:15 wake up time and they where up. OK, on track... and the arrived within 5 minutes of the agreed upon departure. I pushed them to park and get their stuff loaded and off. We got there pretty early to be the 3rd boat in line and what a line it was today. I think that the end of the line was all the way to Lake Hughes (I have never been there, just saying). Fishininone was getting his trolling cam together and I got the boat ready to dump in the drink.

Finally in the lake and I realized that I can launch, park and get back to be boat faster than guests can pee. LOL. so we headed off up the fish arm to look for the stripers I didn't kill last time. On a tip from Bassfan, i tried to keep an eye out for weeks and grass on the trollers. I did see one breaking fish and tossed a surface plug for an attempt by stripey to eat my steel, but without a hitch.

As I was marking fish, it was pretty dang slow. finally a hook and it comes off and then we got a solid dink hook up. I helped guest daughter reel in her first fish ever. Mom said, "so big" and lulu told her it was a very small dink and the big ones are 10X that size or more. I rolled back through and more nada and then found some really good marks on lock jaw fish.

About this time I was noticing that guests were asleep, or trying to sleep from the boredom of an hour of trolling. Of course, very polite, but obviously not loving it. I started getting questions about fishing different ways and lulu was explaining "trolling".

i broke out my coffee and knew I was in trouble when that didn't spur a bite. So by and by I ran over to the ski arm and tried trolling around there. Then passenger has to pee, so I run all the way back over to SS as the pee house in ski arm is "out of order". I don't know if Cutbait's crew was in there yesterday or if they were being lazy. JK Cutbait.... ;)

so back to running over the same fish that ignored me earlier and a licer who was playing with his baby while trying to get his other kid on a drag raft runs over my line. I started yelling and cursing (sorry guests as I as dropping F bombs and calling out A.H. he stopped and I got my rigs in. I couldn't believe that I got my rigs back except one swivel was pulled out, but the rigs was OK except somehow one of the leaders was wrapped up around the line up about 10' up. I don't know how the heck that happened, but I had to unhook everything and swapped out the one rod for the other with a swivel ready to go. another couple hours of trolling up grass and daughter guest says she would like to go swimming. I said, you don't have a swim suit. I moved the topic along and about 1 pm we are off the lake.

About this time, guest break out their bananas. OK, that is the reason!!! I noticed they had banana boat sun oil too. LOL I told them that bananas are bad luck on a fishing boat. I think I convinced them with the stunning effort to come as close to a skunk as is possible (LOL).

After last week, I was sure to keep it way under the posted 5 at the ramp and got out pretty quick. I did get yelled at for parking all the way in the back under the only tree. First by another random A.H. and then the sheriff. OK, it was in the red, but there were boats buttoning down all over down there in the red. Last week the sheriff waved at me when we were in the same place. I guess that goes with the lice infestation...

so, after 3 consecutive weeks of limit fishing, including a 47# string 2 weeks ago (20 fish), stripey got his revenge. I still had a nice time on the lake and thought about how it must have been the bananas... Of course, the game plan was modified to accommodate a tight squeeze too. I don't think they will want to go fishing again. I don't think any of those other mutual friends will be so interested in trying fishing for the first time either. I thought about how nice it is to have that time with lulu. I told Lulu that baiting would have been impossible because of the crowd and we talked about fishinone's times with us. She said, no problem with Ron... he wouldn't get bored, he will handle the bait, his own rods AND pull an anchor too! I don't think Ron will bring bananas either!

I did see Bassfan and Flyhigh too. They all did better than me today, but I think it was slow for most of the fleet. Bassfan texted me that he couldn't figure the lockjaw schools and asked if my guests brought bananas. LOL how did he know! Sorry guys, it must be my fault!

Next week revenge will be mine!!!

DMS

cutbait
08-17-2013, 07:09 PM
There is only one region kicking out fish on the troll.

Major props to you guys for getting young ones out there.

I can attest to your launching quickness. I've seen you run

TroutOnly
08-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Youre wrong carpboy ,,,,theres several,,,,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
It is my opinion and I stress opinion that the full moon has bite switched off.

My buds and I have been on top of the bite pretty good.

For the past month and half the troll bite stopped at 1030

Soon it was 900

Then 8

Last Saturday it was 745 for me

Yesterday it was 730.

On all our trips the bite picked back up at 130 fish to close.

All fish have been from the exact same zone, minus two days Darth, Skywalker and Leah found em at c point heavy.

I also have noticed a switch to the swat style hit and less of an aggressive feed hit.

In my experience, this swat hit coincides with boils. I predict boils big time just after full moon. I believe they are actively feeding heavy at night.

Mid morning they are no doubt returning to the depths. 130 back to feed.

We will see if I'm right or wrong but this is best guess CB has

cutbait
08-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Youre wrong carpboy ,,,,theres several,,,,,,,,,,,,

I disagree!

Go show me

TroutOnly
08-17-2013, 09:25 PM
i already did,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
i already did,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm saying they switched since

TroutOnly
08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
carpdink now youre being retarted,they switch everyday they switch every hour , they switch every pass over them.......put the beer down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
08-17-2013, 09:44 PM
carpdink now youre being retarted,they switch everyday they switch every hour , they switch every pass over them.......put the beer down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OK, time will tell. I say tough till moon goes bye bye! Sure are a few "tough" reports from today?

However saying that I'm sure I can get multiple limits in the hot zone. Not lake wide

TroutOnly
08-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Thats because they were not from me ,the hot zones are in several areas not just one,,,,,,,,,im about done talking to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Thats because they were not from me ,the hot zones are in several areas not just one,,,,,,,,,im about done talking to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:Sissy Fight:

cutbait
08-18-2013, 09:41 AM

Done?

Come on Bob

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 10:04 AM

He still sucks the teet Bob !

cutbait
08-18-2013, 10:12 AM
He still sucks the teet Bob !

Sounds like Corey and Bob need a new trolling video proving my trolling opinion wrong soon.

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Sounds like Corey and Bob need a new trolling video proving my trolling opinion wrong soon.

Naw, we need a "GREAT STRIPER SMACKDOWN". I wonder what happened the last time that was suggested, oh ya, Crickets. :Envious:

Jus stirrin' da pot.

cutbait
08-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Naw, we need a "GREAT STRIPER SMACKDOWN". I wonder what happened the last time that was suggested, oh ya, Crickets. :Envious:

Jus stirrin' da pot.

Nah, we don't have anything to prove to each other.

If it wasn't for Bob I wouldn't even be doing this troll thang.

I do have confidence in my opinion and if anyone can prove it wrong it is Bob.

Bob is the one who preaches the new moon, and hates the full.

Don't know why my opinion is questioned so hard as to call me a drunk or sucking on teet.

Sorry DMS, I was just trying to commiserate with you in the tougher trolling bite and share my thoughts. Sorry it got to this.

I will keep my opinion to myself from here on out.

Love ya Bob and even you Corey, even though you don't return calls or PM's anymore

harlanx1
08-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Why does everyone want to beat up on poor ole cutbait. He really is a nice guy. Even though all he catches are the dreaded lmb. I guess thats how he got the name carp boy. lol i'm cutbait. hahaha

dk4885
08-18-2013, 11:31 AM
He got the name carp boy from a trip he took to SA.

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 12:59 PM

All Bob's saying is work harder ! The wind is different look at other places !

Bob and I make video's all the time ! I am still learning and listening and learning !

The Legend tells you something, I listen, I learn ! And I'm not even fishing Castaic ! I'm 100 miles south west catching Bluefin Tuna and I'm learning about Castaic !

If DMS or fishinone or The Legend say hay ! Don't say Hoe !

http://youtu.be/TuXk3J_z3m4

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Corey what motor and prop are you running on that rig and how slow can you troll with it, the Optimax with a 26p Tempest on my boat at idle is 5.7 mph, too fast for trolling.

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Corey what motor and prop are you running on that rig and how slow can you troll with it, the Optimax with a 26p Tempest on my boat at idle is 5.7 mph, too fast for trolling.

It's a four stroke 115 horse, so at Idle 2.5 no wind ! The fishinone and Bob like 3.5 to 4.0 at Castaic !

When I had a two stroke I would drag a 5 gallon bucket to slow me down !

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Well I guess that leave's me to boil chasin' or bait and wait'n, but I can get to a boil really FAST!!:EyePop:

Thanks

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Why does everyone want to beat up on poor ole cutbait. He really is a nice guy. Even though all he catches are the dreaded lmb. I guess thats how he got the name carp boy. lol i'm cutbait. hahaha

http://youtu.be/sG-EiEJIF-o

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
He got the name carp boy from a trip he took to SA.

http://youtu.be/LWw5_fLfa_c

fishinone
08-18-2013, 02:31 PM
When DarthOnly talks people listen!

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
When DarthOnly talks people listen!

http://youtu.be/fKvtbaMkYIo

fishinone
08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
DMS,

If I recall You took me out on 2 Saturdays and shared bananas with me at lunch on both days. The bananas were delicious and the bite was great!

fishinone

DMS
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
DMS,

If I recall You took me out on 2 Saturdays and shared bananas with me at lunch on both days. The bananas were delicious and the bite was great!

fishinone

LOL I thought of that, maybe the high level Fishinone fish karma overcame the banana curse. :)

DMS
08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
DMS,

fishinone

Also, I am not superstitious, but the guests are LOL!!!

fishinone
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
LOL I thought of that, maybe the high level Fishinone fish karma overcame the banana curse. :)

Oh! Yea! Uh, Next time you take bananas for lunch you can pay me to come along.

trollmiester
08-19-2013, 03:11 PM
bananas are only bad in saltwater trips only,does not apply to freshwater--------------and thats a fact-no skipper in the ocean will allow a fisherman to bring bananas on board.lolollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllland thaTS THE TRUTH

TroutOnly
08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
THE ONLY THING BANANA'S ARE GOOD FOR ARE FOR CARPBOY TO SIT ON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,d/o,,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
08-19-2013, 04:29 PM
THE ONLY THING BANANA'S ARE GOOD FOR ARE FOR CARPBOY TO SIT ON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,d/o,,,,,,,,,,

Lmao!

Bobarino

DMS
08-19-2013, 05:25 PM
bananas are only bad in saltwater trips only,does not apply to freshwater--------------and thats a fact-no skipper in the ocean will allow a fisherman to bring bananas on board.lolollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllland thaTS THE TRUTH

However, on long range trips, they always have bananas.... I figured there must be some exception there. And my guests didn't know. It was a good excuse anyway. Of course, I don't like to have off days, but it keeps me appreciating the great days and I makes me more determined to figure them out even better. Payback time for Mr. Stripey this Saturday.

MikesOcean
08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
You have had MANY successful trips! I'd say waaaay more then struggles. The bad days are good for us! They humble us and really appreciate all our great days we have had and they keep us on our toes!! I have no doubt that you will be going back with full revenge and you and Lulu will get yours.

Same thing happened to me when I took my daughter last month she was all excited hearing all the fish I been catching and I really struggled out there with her.

Looking forward to your next report!!

DMS
08-19-2013, 10:45 PM
You have had MANY successful trips! I'd say waaaay more then struggles. The bad days are good for us! They humble us and really appreciate all our great days we have had and they keep us on our toes!! I have no doubt that you will be going back with full revenge and you and Lulu will get yours.

Same thing happened to me when I took my daughter last month she was all excited hearing all the fish I been catching and I really struggled out there with her.

Looking forward to your next report!!

Yes... That is true. Lulu is so good as she says that she enjoys the process and she says that these days make her appreciate the fish I can put us on usually. Also, I expect that the rumors out there will keep most trips to lulu and me in our boat instead of a line of heartfelt requests. Also our friends who usually get a fish or two are blaming it on our guests. Lol lol!