PDA

View Full Version : Tied my personal best bsp!

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
The conditions were flat today north of LA, although this is one of my favorite 'moons' to fish since the tides are fairly consistent for several hours for about half the day. It means that once you find the holes, that there's a extended chance of fishing them without the structure getting messed up. The down side is that if there aren't waves to keep the fish active then it is only your personal skill that will find the better quality fish. No waves today, bring out the skill. Now today wasn't a banner day in the quantity side of things. 10 days ago I caught 50-60 BSP (Barred Surf Perch). Not so today. Total of three in 1.5 hours, sheesh.

But it was worth the wait and I was glad I went. As is typical, I fish the grub with a carolina rig. I am very familiar with some structure around here and went to fish that since there were no waves. And I was not disappointed. During the "only" wave of the day I cast over and through a break in the rock, at 'just the right time' and fooled this lunker into the bite. I knew it was going to be a good one and it took line. zzzzzEow! Zigged, and zagged, it went in and went out. The rod was bending a bunch and I was smiling big time! Once I saw it, I was very careful to keep it in the water and walk it up the beach for this photograph and release shot, that tied my personal best, 15 3/4" (I know how you feel Arthur, NOT 16!). I didn't break the 16" barrier but the height and girth of the puppy was worth the wait. You could have fit a golf ball in her mouth, dang! And that was my day. I went out solo ... but met a good friend. After the photo ... and back in the water ... the fish smiled ... and swam away.

Perchin' Dave[/SIZE]

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/a4994817-9349-453e-8aca-fb4fc8f4dd5c_zpsda274f73.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/davesomm/media/a4994817-9349-453e-8aca-fb4fc8f4dd5c_zpsda274f73.jpg.html)

Nipple Twister
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Way cool.........thx for sharing Dave, missed your Perchin reports..........

What a pig that thing is......

SP Dan
08-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave,

MAN!!!!! .....What a TOAD!!!!
You do know what you are doing :Thumbs Up: ..... that's for sure!! ... It's just :BFish: huge!

Thanx for the fish report with the pic. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

sshaffr812
08-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Youre name is very well suited to you. If i caught a 15" BSP i would either die, or poop my pants... or both.

-Steve

skunked4life
08-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Perchin dave,

I was just reading your old posts from a couple of years ago for some insight. Great job on the piggy! Seriously, 16" is a very difficult, but doable goal. You can do it sir!

Btw-those lips looked like they were inviting a kiss from you!

Corporal Croaker

DockRat
08-17-2013, 08:52 PM
:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan:
Big Toad for mid summer. WTG.
DR

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Way cool.........thx for sharing Dave, missed your Perchin reports..........
What a pig that thing is......
Hey Nipple Twister, the fishing has been slim since about February, not much to report for awhile. I am fishing a bit differently and am 'starting to get' different results. But yeah, it is a pig, the 'tallest' BSP I have caught. dave

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave,
MAN!!!!! .....What a TOAD!!!!
You do know what you are doing :Thumbs Up: ..... that's for sure!! ... It's just :BFish: huge!
Thanx for the fish report with the pic. :Cool:
SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

Hey there SP Dan, yeah, it was a bit of a surprise to find her, but welcomed. I saw the structure and timed it just right. Once. Anyways, more important, congratulations on your success with the flatties today, way-to-go! Fish on! dave

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Youre name is very well suited to you. If i caught a 15" BSP i would either die, or poop my pants... or both.
-Steve

Yeah Steve, I almost laughed ... thanks. What's your personal best bsp so far? dave

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Perchin dave,
I was just reading your old posts from a couple of years ago for some insight. Great job on the piggy! Seriously, 16" is a very difficult, but doable goal. You can do it sir! Btw-those lips looked like they were inviting a kiss from you!
Corporal Croaker

What a sweet kiss it was, HA! I lipped him for release and my-oh-my, just calling for a kiss, SMILE! Thanks. dave

Perchin' Dave
08-17-2013, 09:12 PM
:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan:
Big Toad for mid summer. WTG.
DR

Hey DR, I used to think the big toads were only around in spring. Not so. But I have to fish differently to find them. There's a lot of -little- ones but they aren't alone :LOL: dave

bachiboy
08-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Way to go Dave! That is some serious pork there.:EyePop: Sounds like you've been hitting em hard. Glad to hear that you've been getting some nice ones in the mix. Keep it up and hope to hear about more soon!!!

Don

Wingnut
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Heartbreak! Yeah Dave, I caught a couple of 15 3/4" BSP, but not quite 16". :Envious:
You guys been hammering the Perch up there... but where's all the Halibut??? :Wink:
Looking forward to seeing you again next month at HG5 Dave. :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
08-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Yeee Hawww, ride em comboy!
That's a sweet looking perchie Dave.
Robert
<><

Perchin' Dave
08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Way to go Dave! That is some serious pork there.:EyePop: Sounds like you've been hitting em hard. Glad to hear that you've been getting some nice ones in the mix. Keep it up and hope to hear about more soon!!! Don

Yes Don, a sweetie. After catching that dinks that are so popular at this time of year it was quite the surprise. Definitely fun to catch too. I went out last night with Dawn Treader & Xfactor and we caught a few nice ones (in spite of the schmeg, kelp everywhere). I believe he will post about that later, check out the report. Last night, when catching, the fish were jumping out of the water and pulling back and doing all kinds of antics. Fun FUn FUN!! dave :)

Perchin' Dave
08-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Yeee Hawww, ride em comboy!
That's a sweet looking perchie Dave.
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert. .... but still didn't break the 16" 'barrier'. It keeps me going out in search of another :) P. Dave

Perchin' Dave
08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Heartbreak! Yeah Dave, I caught a couple of 15 3/4" BSP, but not quite 16". :Envious:
You guys been hammering the Perch up there... but where's all the Halibut??? :Wink:
Looking forward to seeing you again next month at HG5 Dave. :Big Grin:

Yes Arthur, fun to catch some big ones around the dinks that are so common at this time of year. Dawn Treader caught -one- flattie when out last night but they still aren't IN. Can't figure that one out. I -used- to average about 50-60 a year (on the grub) and haven't hooked one in THREE years. Nobody else is catching either (for the most part). They just aren't in. Just occasional ones here and there. P.Dave