PDA

View Full Version : Shad starting to show on the surface.

prankster13
08-17-2013, 03:19 PM
I was at the lake today and saw bass busting shad in the launch ramp. This may be an isolated incident but it is the first time I have seen this in a long time. It was a pretty good morning bite but when the sun came up it slowed way down for me. I got 11 bass and I was fishing for blue gill with ultra light tackle, lots of fun.

Stinkbait
08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Saw the same on Tuesday. IMHO, they could have been fry. Such a mix at the ramp...2" to 6" size.
I wonder if they are in there because big momma is on the outside feeding on them effectively keeping them pinned in at the ramp.

Baby bass swimbait time in marina cove.

Matt_Magnone
08-17-2013, 07:21 PM
they've been busting on the silversides, baby bass and gills. i wish they were shad. in due time we'll see another shad spawn. its only a matter of time. definitely start throwing those baby bass swimbaits. i start picking them up as soon as the night tournaments start up. i'll throw them year round but during this time its my trigger.

HawgZWylde
08-17-2013, 09:29 PM
they've been busting on the silversides, baby bass and gills. i wish they were shad. in due time we'll see another shad spawn. its only a matter of time. definitely start throwing those baby bass swimbaits. i start picking them up as soon as the night tournaments start up. i'll throw them year round but during this time its my trigger.

Seeing huge schools of Silversides all over the lake. I haven't seen a Shad spawn in quite awhile. Did the same thing you and prankster did when we were out on Tuesday, took out the 7' medium light micro rod normally reserved for Trout and floated a bugger. Killed the Gills and small Bass. Had a blast. Also threw a small jerkbait, a Gill colored spinnerbait, and a baby bass colored crankbait for some decent keepers. Talked to Greg Silks in the lot at the end of the day and he said pretty much the same, Silversides all over the place. He landed a few Stripey and several LMB's...

Good job and thanks for the report prankster...