PDA

View Full Version : Going on my first overnight any tips?

blakeb
08-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey guys going on my first overnight on the mirage out of oxnard any tips for up there or has anyone been out there recently? Anything is appreciated thanks guys

Frequent Flyer
08-17-2013, 12:32 PM
They've been getting mostly rockfish with some white seabass and halibut mixed in. If you're fishing deep go with the dropper loop on 40 lb test, I don't know if they hit Catalina or not but if you're against kelp or milky water, switch to a 1/4 oz sliding sinker on 30 lb. Don't be afraid to pin two or three squid on your hook either, especially when fishing the dropper loop.

titos334
08-18-2013, 10:18 PM
They've been getting mostly rockfish with some white seabass and halibut mixed in. If you're fishing deep go with the dropper loop on 40 lb test, I don't know if they hit Catalina or not but if you're against kelp or milky water, switch to a 1/4 oz sliding sinker on 30 lb. Don't be afraid to pin two or three squid on your hook either, especially when fishing the dropper loop.

Yeah and if you're fishing squid don't go small with the hook size either, use a 5/0 or 6/0

Frequent Flyer
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
yup 6/0 aki twists are the biggest ive seen at turners but they may have up to 8/0 at the landing tackle shop. A 6/0 will do fine though

Ultralight
08-18-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm almost brand new to this but whoa, size 6/0 for Rockfish? i think the one trip we went, we were using 2/0 or even 1/0. Those are way too small? It was off San Diego.

Thanks,
UL

Frequent Flyer
08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm almost brand new to this but whoa, size 6/0 for Rockfish? i think the one trip we went, we were using 2/0 or even 1/0. Those are way too small? It was off San Diego.

Thanks,
UL

Up there they are almost exclusively fishing candy, aka squid, a 6-10 inch piece of bait. A rockfish has no problem inhaling the bait and getting hooked, but a white seabass or halibut has a larger mouth so the use of a larger hook increases your chance of getting good hook placement on them

Jig-Guy
08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
X2 Frequent Flyer, those fish will have no problem with those hooks. Fill up those hooks with squid and hold on. The fish out there have big mouths and can't wait for your big offering (the lunch bunch). IMHO, go for it and you will get bit.

Up there they are almost exclusively fishing candy, aka squid, a 6-10 inch piece of bait. A rockfish has no problem inhaling the bait and getting hooked, but a white seabass or halibut has a larger mouth so the use of a larger hook increases your chance of getting good hook placement on them

DockRat
08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
4/0 6/0

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/XxHandyManxX/BIG.png (http://media.photobucket.com/user/XxHandyManxX/media/BIG.png.html)

Ultralight
08-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Is this because it is a ONE DAY trip going further out? When on a half day (my first time) recently, we just had short strips of squid or live anchovies. I think we were just a few miles off the shore and the largest fish we caught were perhaps 3-4 lbs. In that situation, would you still recommend the 6/0 hooks?

Taking my son out in a couple of weeks off the same in San Diego. That will be his first time and I'd like to rig it with the greatest opportunity for success.

Thanks,
UL

Frequent Flyer
08-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Is this because it is a ONE DAY trip going further out? When on a half day (my first time) recently, we just had short strips of squid or live anchovies. I think we were just a few miles off the shore and the largest fish we caught were perhaps 3-4 lbs. In that situation, would you still recommend the 6/0 hooks?

Taking my son out in a couple of weeks off the same in San Diego. That will be his first time and I'd like to rig it with the greatest opportunity for success.

Thanks,
UL
It's more that they're fishing whole live squid. Match your hook accordingly to the bait you're using. For strips of squid and chovies a 1/0 or 2/0 will work perfectly. Let me know if you have any other questions or inquiries.

Ultralight
08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you Frequent Flyer,

Very helpful.

Do have another question if I may. We did reserve the trip in about 10 days and it will be his first ever salt water fishing even if its only 1/2 day.

I found out that we may be doing bottom rock fishing which I believe I am well rigged for (30 lbs braid, 20-30lbs mono leader, etc.) but supposedly it may also be for barracuda, bass or yellowfin. In that case, I don't have a clue as to what we will need in terms of:
1. lb test line. Would the same 30 lbs braid work? We're using heavy duty spinning reels.
2. Hook size.
3. Do we need lures? If so, what type? We're looking for whatever will give us the greatest chance of success in that small few hours window.

As background, my jr high son is an avid fisherman and thinks nothing of getting up at 4:30 am to go fishing in the Sierras. he's skilled minijig fisherman etc so he's good with casting with spinning reels.

Thanks,
UL

Frequent Flyer
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Thank you Frequent Flyer,

Very helpful.

Do have another question if I may. We did reserve the trip in about 10 days and it will be his first ever salt water fishing even if its only 1/2 day.

I found out that we may be doing bottom rock fishing which I believe I am well rigged for (30 lbs braid, 20-30lbs mono leader, etc.) but supposedly it may also be for barracuda, bass or yellowfin. In that case, I don't have a clue as to what we will need in terms of:
1. lb test line. Would the same 30 lbs braid work? We're using heavy duty spinning reels.
2. Hook size.
3. Do we need lures? If so, what type? We're looking for whatever will give us the greatest chance of success in that small few hours window.

As background, my jr high son is an avid fisherman and thinks nothing of getting up at 4:30 am to go fishing in the Sierras. he's skilled minijig fisherman etc so he's good with casting with spinning reels.

Thanks,
UL
1. The 30 lb braid will do just fine, tie on a 20 lb leader and you're good to go. I use a curado 300 with 50 lb braid and can tie anywhere from a 12-25 lb leader on.
2. 1/0-2/0 hooks if youre using anchovies and strips of squid.
3. Go simple if you want to throw lures. 1/2 oz. or a 3/4 oz krockodile spoons, they have more than enough flash in them.

If you guys roll up to kelp, just flyline your bait if you see free swimmers or fish are busting on chum. Otherwise if people are catching rockfish and nothing else, drop down on a dropper loop. Pretty much adjust to the conditions you're given and watch who's catching, then see what they're doing and see if that works for you.