PDA

View Full Version : recommendations to make the lake a more pleasant experience:

Matt_Magnone
08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
as many of you know, ive done a great deal to try and keep people pumped on diamond valley lake. a lot of my time and energy on my days off have gone into sharing new bites, creating videos and helping others understand our fishery. by all means i'm no expert, but i have spent a great deal of time on the water there. as of lately its obvious through this, and other, forums people are feeling a little "off" with it. im watching attendance diminish and i know its more than the fishing. i hear my share of opinions but this is YOUR time to be vocal. the lake as well as the higher powers have been looking into ways to make the lake a more enjoyable experience. a lot has been changed in the last year up at the lake as far as the atmosphere goes. while things are changing, there are better ways im sure to keep people wanting to come back.

although it hasnt been brought to public forum until now, this is your personal opportunity to voice your opinion on what you like at the lake or what you think the lake should look into changing for the upcoming year. im sure i'll get "talked to" about this post, but it needs to be written and people cant be afraid to just take charge and do it.

please voice your opinions in a polite manner as us anglers are the voice of the lake. if we respond in a way showing MWD and the lake that we're ungrateful, rude or ignorant we'll never be taken seriously.

please list your "3" most important things you would like the lake to look into. it could be something as stupid as how you dislike the restrooms, boat rentals, parking etc.

i'll start:

a lot of shore anglers complain that its a chore to walk the shoreline. while the majority of shore anglers are between 20 & 30 its not too too bad, but the elderly people have a hard time getting around and many choose not to visit the lake as a result. i would like to see in the future a dock or them to find a place to sit and fish.

many anglers love the idea that the lake is open at night the first friday of every month. the fact that the amount of boats showing up doesnt reflect it, i would like to see this opened up to once a week in the summer months. many people have hectic schedules and just cannot commit in advance. others, plan to take the summer off due to the heat based on medical conditions or what not. if the lake ran a once a week deal it would give the majority of anglers the chance to take advantage of something fun. more opportunities to fish when its cooler at night will make more people look forward to going to the lake.

metropolitan and the lake being more vocal to the public about current events.

-why is the lake going down?
-how low do we expect it to go?
-what events are being ran?
-why is the algae the way it is?

there are a lot of questions the public has with nobody to give them the answers they need. lets face it. were all experts whether we like to admit it or not. we all have opinions and all seem to "know" whats going on. when we have a HUGE amount of people that are all networked its easy to spread inaccurate information or rumors when there's nobody to give the straight to the point truth. the truth is accepted ; speculation starts a tornado of rumors.

i realize i'm opening a can of worms but this is LONG overdue.

-matt

EL JEFE
08-17-2013, 10:35 AM
First off, thank you Matt for getting this post started. I agree, it's important for MWD to hear from the community of anglers and others that use the lake.

1. A boat slip marina was part of the original plans when the lake was proposed. Residents of Hemet were sold on the opportunities the new lake would provide. Unfortunately, only the launch ramp and fishing access have reached fruition. A marina with boat slips (with electricity), docks, restrooms, etc., would, in my opinion, raise the use of the lake along with a steady stream of revenues being generated from monthly and yearly slip rentals. I, and many others locals, would keep our boats there year-round.

2. I second the once a week night fishing opportunities for the same reasons you described.

3. Campground facilities near the lake. This was also a portion of the lake development plan. Again, this would increase the use of the lake, generate a steady stream of revenue for both MWD, local businesses, and the City of Hemet.

Again, thanks Matt for getting this thread started!
Carlos

Tom
08-17-2013, 11:04 AM
I for one cannot fish diamond valley. They have no way for a Disabled person to fish it
The ramp is way to far to walk. No parking near the shoreline for disabled.
No float tube access
The Shoreline should be open to all. Not just the Young people who are not disabled.
lake Perris has shore parking for those who cannot walk 100 yards or more.
Even lake Isabella and Crowley have areas that a disabled person can park next to the shoreline

Tom

as many of you know, ive done a great deal to try and keep people pumped on diamond valley lake. a lot of my time and energy on my days off have gone into sharing new bites, creating videos and helping others understand our fishery. by all means i'm no expert, but i have spent a great deal of time on the water there. as of lately its obvious through this, and other, forums people are feeling a little "off" with it. im watching attendance diminish and i know its more than the fishing. i hear my share of opinions but this is YOUR time to be vocal. the lake as well as the higher powers have been looking into ways to make the lake a more enjoyable experience. a lot has been changed in the last year up at the lake as far as the atmosphere goes. while things are changing, there are better ways im sure to keep people wanting to come back.

although it hasnt been brought to public forum until now, this is your personal opportunity to voice your opinion on what you like at the lake or what you think the lake should look into changing for the upcoming year. im sure i'll get "talked to" about this post, but it needs to be written and people cant be afraid to just take charge and do it.

please voice your opinions in a polite manner as us anglers are the voice of the lake. if we respond in a way showing MWD and the lake that we're ungrateful, rude or ignorant we'll never be taken seriously.

please list your "3" most important things you would like the lake to look into. it could be something as stupid as how you dislike the restrooms, boat rentals, parking etc.

i'll start:

a lot of shore anglers complain that its a chore to walk the shoreline. while the majority of shore anglers are between 20 & 30 its not too too bad, but the elderly people have a hard time getting around and many choose not to visit the lake as a result. i would like to see in the future a dock or them to find a place to sit and fish.

many anglers love the idea that the lake is open at night the first friday of every month. the fact that the amount of boats showing up doesnt reflect it, i would like to see this opened up to once a week in the summer months. many people have hectic schedules and just cannot commit in advance. others, plan to take the summer off due to the heat based on medical conditions or what not. if the lake ran a once a week deal it would give the majority of anglers the chance to take advantage of something fun. more opportunities to fish when its cooler at night will make more people look forward to going to the lake.

metropolitan and the lake being more vocal to the public about current events.

-why is the lake going down?
-how low do we expect it to go?
-what events are being ran?
-why is the algae the way it is?

there are a lot of questions the public has with nobody to give them the answers they need. lets face it. were all experts whether we like to admit it or not. we all have opinions and all seem to "know" whats going on. when we have a HUGE amount of people that are all networked its easy to spread inaccurate information or rumors when there's nobody to give the straight to the point truth. the truth is accepted ; speculation starts a tornado of rumors.

i realize i'm opening a can of worms but this is LONG overdue.

-matt

elbowlayer
08-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Allow float tubes!

Perris_holic
08-17-2013, 02:16 PM
My only question would be why are the boat rentals so expensive compared to somewhere like lake Perris?

prankster13
08-17-2013, 03:26 PM
When the floating out houses are out of order put some kind of sign on them saying so. I almost left a nasty present for them on the deck not too long ago. Other than that I love that lake and everything about it. What ever they decide to do is cool with me as long as I can launch my boat and fish any time I want.

pupfish
08-17-2013, 03:39 PM
My only question would be why are the boat rentals so expensive compared to somewhere like lake Perris?

On the lake Perris site it says that a basic boat is $80.00 all day, if that is true then DVL has lower prices on their basic 16 ft. Lund that comes with a near new 20 horse four stroke. $72 all day with parking and you can get 25% off on Tues. and Thurs. coupons. They also have 50% off on Wednesdays, so you can have the boat all day for under $40. That seems like a pretty good deal compared to other places I have rented. I will say that their old basics need some TLC to help bring them back to life, they are looking pretty tired these days.

Keep It Reel !
08-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Much respect to you Matt, your the only reason the DVL section lives on FNN. I'm a DVL angler since opening day and I drive 150 miles to fish her. Ive seen this place go down hill over the years and its all a mangement issue.

On to business:
Change opening hours like Skinner, Castaic, etc. Early Am bite could be extended for all.

Fire everyone and start with a lake manager who's interest is in the lake thriving and not about $$$$.

Either open up the entire lake to shore fishing or NO BOATS from the East dam corner (marina side) across the marina to the current "NO FISHING" sign. NO CASTING, NO GRAPHING, NO TROLLING, NO DIPPING BAIT, NO GUIDES, NO EXCUSES STAY OUT! Boat fishing begins from the attenuator.

Accurate stock, fishing information and current lake conditions not 2 week old news like its been.

Go back to stocking with boats to spread the bite out and STOP the pet feeding at the marina.

Hire lake personnel who will give out citations and enforce rules, laws, etc. I'm sick and tired of watching lake personnel allow certain people to fish off the marina dock, use live Trout, live Bluegill, live bass, live Catfish. If you got banned from DVL, you should stay banned, your records dont count.

Float tube and sit on top kayaks allowed with waders or equivelant only. Zero contact rules still apply per MWD.

Monthly night fishing events. Maybe try some shore people too. We could bid on tickets, allow a limit of 30 as a trial period and see where it goes. If the shore idiots leave trash, violate rules and cause problems during trial, cancel the shore fishing.

Morning line up should separate boaters from non boaters. No point in making shore anglers wait in the launch line.

Disabled access marina ramp for "DISABLED ONLY". Cheaters will be cited.

TOO much to list on here, lets get DVL back to a respected lake and not what its become. Boaters and non boaters alike.

Matt_Magnone
08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
thank you guys for being polite in the thread. this is absolutely the kind of replies that will get our messages across. very good ideas as well. i really like the idea of a ramp or dock in the immediate marina only offered to disabled indviduals. they could be allowed to park on the launch ramp out of the way. thats definitely something for the lake to think about!

Fishingkid97
08-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Great post Matt...

My couple complaints:
1) I would like to see that the shore fisherman don't have to pay the trail pass that they added. I think the trail pass should be for the bicycles and joggers the fisherman already pay to fish and park.

2) I like the idea posted above about float tubes and sit on top kayaks with waders on to be legal.

3) the campground suggestion above is a great idea. I was told by an older guy he won't fish DVL because they did not hold up to what they showed in there plans.

njmello
08-18-2013, 06:18 AM
I recently went to DVL to shake down a new (to me) fishing rig - 12' Jon boat, 2 hp, 4 stroke Tohastu O/B - all required safety gear and was denied access because I didn't have a 'red flag', but was told I could buy one for 5 bucks at the store. I told the 'inspector' a red flag was only 'required' for water skiing, that I was alone, no skis, no tow rope and 2 hp motor was not going to 'pull' (or push) anything more than a boat rated for 400#, BESIDES WHICH DVL is a no body contact lake where water skiing was not allowed. 'Inspector' INSISTED a 'red flag' was 'required' or no access.

Pissed me off - got a refund and left. Went to Perris next day, got 'inspected' in 10 minutes at the entrance booth at the ramp 5 minutes later.

Sent a politely worded 'nasty-gram' to MWD legal dept regarding the episode and got a polite letter of apology, with their 'intent to discuss' the matter with the concessionaire.

MWD spent a looong time (and a great deal of money on propaganda) seeking (pre-construction) 'approval' of the locals - touting the 'benefits' to local economies and all of the 'facilities' planned for 'recreation' - very few of which ever materialized.

While I think DVL is a great fishery with huge potential, MWD is leaving the day to day 'operations' in the hands of 'entrepreneurial' non-fishing amateurs who are more concerned with 'survival' income than they are in developing the fishing potential. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

trollmiester
08-18-2013, 09:57 AM
been going since the second day it opened,love the lake.if night fishing was till 2 in the morning it would be nice like irvune lake.when we drive 240 miles round trip and it gets dark at nine off the water by 11.45 ,its not worth the drive to fish for less than 3 hours in the dark--extend the hours and we will drive------thank for this op to post this.

Keep It Reel !
08-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Couldn't agree more on the Trail fee BS for shore fishing. I'll gladly pay the trail pass fee if I could access the entire trail not 1.1 miles of shore line.

I however cant agree with making it a camping lake. Too much filth and ignorant human behavior happpens here in So. Cal during daylight hours and I'd hate to see the trash and graffiti, damaged or stolen rental boat/equipment, constant fishing violations and more fake DVL fish records. Sorry I see enough trash on shore, dont need to start seeing the diapers, empty bbq's, and broken beer bottles everywhere.
Great post Matt...

My couple complaints:
1) I would like to see that the shore fisherman don't have to pay the trail pass that they added. I think the trail pass should be for the bicycles and joggers the fisherman already pay to fish and park.

2) I like the idea posted above about float tubes and sit on top kayaks with waders on to be legal.

3) the campground suggestion above is a great idea. I was told by an older guy he won't fish DVL because they did not hold up to what they showed in there plans.

desertstorm
08-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Awesome thread! Glad it isn't being abused and people are posting their recommendations in a professional manner. I used to shore fish DVL a lot, but I haven't been back to the lake in almost a year for the following reasons.

1) very limited and difficult shoreline access, I'd much prefer a parking lot or some way to access more shore around the lake than just the small stretch that is allowed to fish right now

2) No float tube access, even the san diego resevoirs allow tubers so long as they wash their tubes at the facility and wear waders. Not everyone can afford a boat so many are resorting to float tubes and their a great fishing experience and I think a lot of business would be made should float tubes be allowed.

3) This is the biggest reason why I don't fish the lake and it's the fees. Not only are the boat rentals twice as much as Skinner and Perris, but they charge entrance fee, parking fee, and even a trail fee to shore fish so if I want to fish with a buddy it's almost 20 bucks for 2 people to fish when I can go to Skinner and pay $12 or Perris who only charges $10 for parking no matter how many people are fishing.

I also like the idea of a nearby campground but I already posted my 3 things. Thanks everyone!

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2013, 10:25 AM
How about a SENIOR DISCOUNT for us oldie's. lol

riverside_angler
08-18-2013, 10:35 AM
The shoreline is difficult even for the "30" year olds. My buddy, who is a FNN member, broke his ankle this past February trying to walk down to the shore. He failed to post that news when it happened...I guess he didn't want everyone to clown on him.

ezfishn
08-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I've fished DVL since about 2007 which is probably not as long as some. I've noticed considerable changes in the lake. Rates were increased to get the water level back up and didn't expect that to last forever but seems like a chunk of money on top of everything else just to go fishing. That ramp with the water level so low is a heart attack waiting to happen...LOL Don't seem to be any enforcement to speak of for fish taken out of the lake. Not sure of background reasons so can't really comment on the management company but seems to be lacking. Would not recommend a campground at the lake because of pollution...haven't seen any place in CA that cares about trash and pollution. No offense to the waders or kayaks but wouldn't prefer to see them on the lake unless they had a separate area dedicated only for them...would hate to see an accident with some of the speedsters out there.

Thanks Matt for the post and hope there can be some beneficial changes to improve the lake.

Hardcor
08-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Matt ! I brought this up a little while back and got jumped on ! And when I jumped back because I have fished it with no problems until the Quagga ! Silence !

You had an AS_S whole doing inspections for a long time and it turned a lot people off Big Time ! You have to let them know that turd is gone !

You have to tell them that the guys that work there now are a blast ! Tell them it's fun again ! Tell the guy's The Mean Witch is gone Too !

People put up with a lot of guff ! I was mad ! I had a dry boat and was turned away ! Not once but four times ! I got turned away after my boat sat the whole Tuna season !

I got turned away one day with the Ranger and the next day with the Hardcore ! Was It just happening to me ! I felt like that until me along with the next three boats got turned down !

We wanted his AS_S and he ran like a little baby ! That was the last time I fish it until recently when I heard the dork and the witch were gone !

I trolled the lake with The Legend, Striper Only, Trout Only, Bob ! We could not keep the Green Bass off our lines ! People will come if you let them know it has changed for the

common people !

Corey

PS Tell the Big wigs to let us know when they turn the water on ! That is when the Striper bait bite go's off and every body go's to DVL ! Remember the masses outside the saddle dam and buoy lines !
PS Tell the Big wigs the fisherman know there is Quagga in the lake !
PS Tell the Big wigs there is poaching going on and nobody cares !
PS Tell the Big wigs Handy Cap people fish too !

fishinone
08-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I met that quagga turd out there. I don't even need more info, I'm sure it has to be the same guy. I'm glad to hear that he's gone.

1) Make quagga inspections common throughout the state. Going that far in the middle of the night is a bummer when you get turned away because dew is forming on everything in the morning.

Matt_Magnone
08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Matt ! I brought this up a little while back and got jumped on ! And when I jumped back because I have fished it with no problems until the Quagga ! Silence !

You had an AS_S whole doing inspections for a long time and it turned a lot people off Big Time ! You have to let them know that turd is gone !

You have to tell them that the guys that work there now are a blast ! Tell them it's fun again ! Tell the guy's The Mean Witch is gone Too !

People put up with a lot of guff ! I was mad ! I had a dry boat and was turned away ! Not once but four times ! I got turned away after my boat sat the whole Tuna season !

I got turned away one day with the Ranger and the next day with the Hardcore ! Was It just happening to me ! I felt like that until me along with the next three boats got turned down !

We wanted his AS_S and he ran like a little baby ! That was the last time I fish it until recently when I heard the dork and the witch were gone !

I trolled the lake with The Legend, Striper Only, Trout Only, Bob ! We could not keep the Green Bass off our lines ! People will come if you let them know it has changed for the

common people !

Corey

PS Tell the Big wigs to let us know when they turn the water on ! That is when the Striper bait bite go's off and every body go's to DVL ! Remember the masses outside the saddle dam and buoy lines !
PS Tell the Big wigs the fisherman know there is Quagga in the lake !
PS Tell the Big wigs there is poaching going on and nobody cares !
PS Tell the Big wigs Handy Cap people fish too !

great points man. yeah the whole atmosphere at the lake is defintely 110 times better. although i personally never really had any issues, a few of my friends were in the same boat as you. they just couldnt get their boats passed for anything. and ended up fishing elsewhere. since the lake has found a solid system my friends are back fishing dvl and happy campers.

this is sweet everybody is laying it out there. this is exactly what we need. who knows this all may be a lost cause but at least were all doing our part in trying to make change happen.

great job guys, thank you!

flyhigh123
08-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I can't even consider dvl due to my 2 stroke. But I doubt that one will ever change.

ghost2uu
08-19-2013, 08:49 AM
1. How about a fish cleaning station like every other lake in California.
2 Permanent restrooms with stalls where you can actually sit on the toilet and not have your knees pressing against the door of it.
3. How about some fishermen's hours. Enough of the kangaroo rat b.s. for keeping the lake closed. Fishermen must wait until daylight but park employees can go tearing up the road in the dark at 4 a.m.?
4. Get rid off all the *** hats working there. I pay money and use my time to come there. I don't need some punk acting like it's a privilege that I am there.
5. Shore fishermen getting screwed with the trail pass even though they can only go on 2 miles of shore line.
6. Open the lake earlier and keep it open later.
7. Please see #6
8. I like the trout plants taking place at the marina, it gives shore anglers a great shot at the fish as they spread out over the next couple days.
9. Updated trout stock information. It seems this is the only lake that hides it's stock days and locations. I can call any other lake and get the day and location stocked. Here is it some secrete society. (Thanks Kwin)
10. Please see #6

sweetfish
08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
These are all great ideas.

My biggest beef with DVL is the fees. For me to launch my boat there and have 2 others fishing with me, the cost is $27.00 bucks. However with the same situation at Skinner and Perris I pay $22.00 for Skinner or $18.00 for Perris. I know it is only like 5 bucks but with 4 kids and other expenses the 5 bucks could be used on something else. Plus the hours are ridiculous. They should make it like other lakes 1/2 before sunset instead of the 6:30 or 6:45 cutoff.

HuskerRod
08-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not I beleive a lot of people are turned away because of simple economics. My DVL year pass cost me $450. My Perris Poppy Pass, which is good at Perris and a whole lot of other places, was less then half. Plus..........................DVL then tacks on a $3 per person fishing fee on top of the $450.00 annual pass every time you fish. DVL also charges an additional $25 for a shore fishing pass on top of the $450 year pass if you want to leave the boat at home and fish from shore. And for a while DVL was charging an additional $2 to tag your boat at the end of the day.....wow.

My personal gripe are the lake hours. The lake closes way to early, but unfortunately since it is designated a wildlife refuge area they are required to open no earlier then an hour after first light and close no later then an hour before sunset. To bad, those are some of the best times to be out there. This summer I'd fish until the lake closed, which was 7:00. Im not sure if it ever went to 7:30 pm, but I eventually just switched to Perris where I could beat the heat and fish considerably later.

dockboy
08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
I like DVL a lot, even at 250 a round trip.

Fees are pretty steep. For an additonal $5, I can launch and fish Irvine till 2am
The inspections are good, but is it really necessary to deny non MWD tags? Its not 2008 anymore, just about every local lake has a quagga inspection or a cable system that works.
Open it to the night fishing at least twice a month
Open the lake earlier. Driving 2 hours knowing I cant even fish the best topwater period during the summer sucks
Chop the fishing fee. I'm already paying $30 to launch at your lake and probably investing another $40 in gas at local gas stations. Adding a fishing fee is just greedy.
Why can I launch a 2 stroke at Perris and Silverwood, and Big Bear (arguably far more "pristine" then DVL) but not DVL? They are all water supply no? So why the double standard?

seal
08-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Why can I launch a 2 stroke at Perris and Silverwood, and Big Bear (arguably far more "pristine" then DVL) but not DVL? They are all water supply no? So why the double standard?
[/LIST]

Their time will come and I'd bet sooner rather than later.

GdHkSet1
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Pretty cool to read all the feedback, I have a couple of gripes but my good experiences and many fun memories at DVL far outweigh the negatives of this fine
fisherie that they established back from the rearing pond to present day.

1. Extend hours of operation from at least Mar thru Oct

2. Shore access for handicap disabled( a long shot - due to the shore configuration and changing water levels) a fishing pier/dock would be cool but only when the water levels would be optimum)

3. Fee adjustments.

4. Allow Tubers

Thanks Matt for the thread and conversation.

mod12man
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
For us, it's simple. DVL costs $31.00 for me and my 2 kids and boat. Perris costs $18.00 for the same. Both are great fisheries, but the $13.00 savings is huge these days with money so short for everyone. We go to Perris 5 times for every 1 time that we go to DVL. If costs were the same, or even a bit closer, we would Fish DVL more often.

BassinPLS
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Matt, Thank you for your thoughtful post of this thread. Hopefully you do not catch too much heat for it; but it is obviously "well intentioned"!

I thought I would share some insight I have in the additional development at DVL. MWD has a Master Plan of Development which was approved when the lake was developed. However, MWD is not in the development business. They are in the water business. The improvements in accordance with the Master Plan will, (eventually), been done by private developers. I am now retired; however, when I was working, I was to be the Project Master for the final engineering plans working for a partnership between Centex Homes and Eastbridge Partner. These two companies had been selected by MWD to develop the vacate lands east of the east dam. The way the development agreement with MWD worked was the private development entity would do a million dollars worth of improvements and in exchange the developers would get a million dollars worth of land to develop. The lands north of Domenigoni Parkway and east of the lake entrance road is Master Planned for housing. The land immediately east of the eats dam is planned for a golf course, another smaller lake for sail boats, etc., a hotel and other facilities, all of which I don't recall at this time. Part of the required improvements was to run a sewer line into the marina, which requires the installation of a sewer lift station to pump the waste out of the marina area. All of these improvements were to be made at the developers expense in exchange for land.

After extension number crunching I was advised by the original development team mentioned above that they were not able to get the numbers to work out because MWD was putting too high of value on the land, (in other words they would receive too little land for the costs of the improvements they were required to make). MWD let them bow out and started negotiations with the second place development team in the beauty contest. I was later told that due to the down turn in the economy they too backed out.

The economy will turn around and the Master Plan improvements will someday be developed, (I hope). One thing we have to understand is MWD is not in the land development business and we can only hope for better times allowing the improvements to proceed.

In the mean time...I sure wish the fishing at DVL would get back to were it was prior to the draw down!!:LOL:

Hardcor
08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi Matt,
Thanks for this post and your videos. I find them very informative. I have only fished DVL twice this year and not had any problems other than not catching as many bass as I did in prior years. I had not fished the lake since before the ramp extension.

My Perris seal was respected both times and no boat inspection at all.
Never had any problems with the staff in the store and the guy at the gate is sure nice. Always compliments me for bringing my kids fishing.
As somebody else said, I do wish they had better restrooms and a sign at the gate or ramp telling us if the floating ones are out of order would be nice. That way I would not have to break the speed limit getting to the other one.

Is it really 25mph? I max out at about 40 but some of those 250hp guys are screaming across the lake. And those are the same guys who ask me why I put that bass in my live well. But they don't seem believe me when I tell them my kids like to look at them once in a while when the fishing is slow. Keeps them interested. But we always C&R bass by the end of the day. They just need to mind their own business. Sorry, getting off subject.

I feel for the shore fishermen but I would imagine it would be pretty expensive to extend the paths and/or make them better. And then there is the safety issue. How do provide emergency services for those anglers spread out all over the lake? Perhaps they could open up another part of the lake with an existing road just for shore fisherman.

I was approached both times this year by a young gal who was taking a catch census. Thought that was pretty cool and I told her that I hope the DFG keeps it up. Maybe they could provide a website so we could enter our hours fished and catch with some kind of incentive for posting our data. I am a data guy by trade and I know fish biologists use data to manage fisheries. I hope everyone is cooperating with that.

Great thread!

Nothing gets done as-s kissing !

DEVOREFLYER
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
The only difference between as-s kissing and brown nosing is depth perception. This was purely for informational purposes only.:Envious:

Matt_Magnone
08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
great posts guys. out of all these replies its quite obvious what people want in the lake and what people dislike. here's the ammo. now the ball is placed in their court. once again i appreciate the fact everyone is keeping cool and being positive. this is the kind of stuff that possibly will make change. i personally dont know "where". "how" or "if" this is the best method to show the people what needs change but i figured it would be a start.

anythings better than nothing!

keep them coming guys! more the merrier!

create an area where families can picnic. grass, benches, makeshift mini park and a gazebo. families would visit the lake for the simple fact they can check out a lake and keep their kids entertained in the outdoors. dads and grandpas could fish while the kids can play. they could come back in meet up and cook up a lunch. diamond is a fishing lake; unfortunately there are a lot of people that dont fish.
=
trash cans throughout shore fishing areas. a lot of people simply wont pick up what they drop. easier if a trash can is right in front of their faces
=
extension of shore fishing area. allow people to hike if they please. there's a high risk in the limited access now. what could happen 1/4 mile from the ramp could still happen 4 miles from it. im sure the same liability is currently there. i dont understand why it would be any different throughout the lake.
=

HawgZWylde
08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
great posts guys. out of all these replies its quite obvious what people want in the lake and what people dislike. here's the ammo. now the ball is placed in their court. once again i appreciate the fact everyone is keeping cool and being positive. this is the kind of stuff that possibly will make change. i personally dont know "where". "how" or "if" this is the best method to show the people what needs change but i figured it would be a start.

anythings better than nothing!

keep them coming guys! more the merrier!

create an area where families can picnic. grass, benches, makeshift mini park and a gazebo. families would visit the lake for the simple fact they can check out a lake and keep their kids entertained in the outdoors. dads and grandpas could fish while the kids can play. they could come back in meet up and cook up a lunch. diamond is a fishing lake; unfortunately there are a lot of people that dont fish.
=
trash cans throughout shore fishing areas. a lot of people simply wont pick up what they drop. easier if a trash can is right in front of their faces
=
extension of shore fishing area. allow people to hike if they please. there's a high risk in the limited access now. what could happen 1/4 mile from the ramp could still happen 4 miles from it. im sure the same liability is currently there. i dont understand why it would be any different throughout the lake.
=

Dang, you just stole 3 of my ideas. That's what I get for procrastinating. Bill and I have talked about how great it would be to have somewhere to get off the boat and be able to get out of the mid-day grind and eat some lunch in the shade. We almost always are on the water from open to close. A park along the shoreline with some docks would be awesome. Perhaps the existing west end launch ramp area would be a good park spot.

Extending the area for shoreline fishing is a great idea as well, lol just not in my secret spot. There's a ledge just off the shore line that in order to fish it successfully, I would have to place the boat in the line of shore-fire. The shore guys would cast right over it unable to see what's right in front of them. Dang that light refraction thing. Ok,that was a joke, first come, first served is fair enough.

Currently, I think adding a waterproof escalator at the launch ramp is needed due to the dropping water level. Big heart attack risk to the older guys and gals having to walk up that stinkin mountain at the end of the day. Ok, another joke, but a ride up the mountain on a golf cart or something wouldn't be asking much would it?

Great thread Matt, but we are up against a monster in order to get anything done at this lake due to the fact that all land inside the DVL fence-line has been declared protected wildlife habitat. Look how long we had to wait in order to get on the lake before sunrise because of the Kangaroo rat. If we want to get something done here, we have to get organized and start presenting proposals to the DFW and the MWD. Signed petitions with drawn up proposals and requesting meetings with representatives of both entities would be a good start. Getting backing from local politicians would be critical in getting anything done like providing sewer and power services. Funny thing occurring here though, the reason why the lake is dropping, is because they are generating ELECTRICITY, D-ohh. Same for the currently low level of many Sierra lakes. All because of the death of the San Onofre nuke power plant, which in my opinion should have been fixed. From what I hear, the earliest any water will flow back into DVL is next May. But what if a drought is declared and no water comes to DVL? DVL was supposed to be an emergency only water source??? Ok, I'm getting too deep here.

I'm willing to help in getting something going...

trollmiester
08-22-2013, 09:13 AM
thanx for reminding me about the sea witch is not there anymore.when the lake was too low to launch ,we had to rent boats ,she got mad beacvuse we had blood all over the boat.hey if we were not catching fish she would not hsave a job.so one day me and pontoon had a 387.pound stringer of catfish--yes 387 pound-so we pulled up to the sign to take a picture,she came running and yelled--no parking here.i said we are taleing a picture so u can promote your lake.she said firmly no parking here i do not care about your pictures.before leaving i said -i am going to buy you a santa suit so you can spread your cheer and joy in this great world we live in.gald see his gone i am going to power down a bottle of ice water in celebration.

zzzfish
08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
The main reason why I don't go more often to this lake is the fee. I would think they would do a lot better if they get rid of the discount on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and have a reduced rental price overall. I can only fish during the weekend so I find it hard to justify spending $150-$200 on entrance/fishing/boat rental fee. I can get the same thing at Irvine lake for $75-80 and fish from 6AM-12AM on Friday/Saturday.

Extending the shore line fishing and create better trail down to the lake shore would be great too. Navigating over unstable, jagged rocks w/possible rattlesnakes in between isn't that fun.

Hardcor
08-22-2013, 10:36 AM
thanx for reminding me about the sea witch is not there anymore.when the lake was too low to launch ,we had to rent boats ,she got mad beacvuse we had blood all over the boat.hey if we were not catching fish she would not hsave a job.so one day me and pontoon had a 387.pound stringer of catfish--yes 387 pound-so we pulled up to the sign to take a picture,she came running and yelled--no parking here.i said we are taleing a picture so u can promote your lake.she said firmly no parking here i do not care about your pictures.before leaving i said -i am going to buy you a santa suit so you can spread your cheer and joy in this great world we live in.gald see his gone i am going to power down a bottle of ice water in celebration.

They let her attack people for years ! Every time she yelled at us I told her to go clean her bathrooms ! Every body had an eye on that ***** !

That was really bad business practice for a long time ! Her and the Dork inspector enjoyed screwing people ! Over time people just never came back !

Hardcor
08-22-2013, 10:41 AM
And this is why FNN is going down the tubes, as-s wholes.

People like you kissing it ! Made the lake that way ! No more kissing it ! Got It !

Your on ignore Kiss my as-s off !

Pete Marino
08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
hahahahahahahahahhaha..............:Popcorn:

Pete

Hardcor
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
hahahahahahahahahhaha..............:Popcorn:

Pete

You know what's on top of my bucket list Pete ! It's going to happen one day ! I hope you can handle ME !

Corey

Pete Marino
08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
If I can handle your brother I can handle you...Not sure if I can handle both of you nutcases together though..lol . He told me that he would take me out with you and him and go catch some DoDos after I get back from the US OPEN!!! That will be a blast showing you boys my skills in the salt!!!! lol

Hardcor
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
If I can handle your brother I can handle you...Not sure if I can handle both of you nutcases together though..lol . He told me that he would take me out with you and him and go catch some DoDos after I get back from the US OPEN!!! That will be a blast showing you boys my skills in the salt!!!! lol

It will be an honor and a pleasure ! Now go out there and win that thing ! You know it's in you ! Stay loose and don't get frazzeled !

Let it go baby ! All the luck in the world to you !

Corey !

http://youtu.be/ycOvNcfr56s

Pete Marino
08-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks Corey I appreciate it!!! Im gonna give it a shot!!!

Pete

numbnuts bob
08-22-2013, 03:51 PM
:LOL:wow are you serious...............how about leave the water supply alone and I dont need a bunch of float tubers or night fishing............. just get rid of the darn humans
and keep the wives and children out of my way.....................handicapped people ??????????????????????????????????????
this is not about fishing its a troll .........what is this ? sounds like the economy is effecting the income coming into the closest tackle shops to the lake and they are trying to get people to go fishing more and thats my perspective BOB
heres a photo of my sons 1st halibut..............its a fish forum right??????????

DEVOREFLYER
08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
With that first post I would have expected NOTHING LESS from a guy named NUMBNUTS BOB. Yip NUMBNUTS, ya got that right.

fishinone
08-22-2013, 04:11 PM
:LOL:wow are you serious...............how about leave the water supply alone and I dont need a bunch of float tubers or night fishing............. just get rid of the darn humans
and keep the wives and children out of my way.....................handicapped people ??????????????????????????????????????
this is not about fishing its a troll .........what is this ? sounds like the economy is effecting the income coming into the closest tackle shops to the lake and they are trying to get people to go fishing more and thats my perspective BOB
heres a photo of my sons 1st halibut..............its a fish forum right??????????

Wow! That's a nice halibut from DVL!

Keep It Reel !
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Oh ya Matt is know for his trolling at DVL! Jk Matt dont fish jinx me or anything.

Shout out to all tackle retailers in the I.E. and others that are affected by DVL trolling. Last chance bait and tackle, Kenny's rod and reel, Blue water, pacific star, fishing 25, Takas tackle, sav-on tackle, sports authority, sports chalet, big 5, bass pro shops, The marina at DVL, that liquor store by Perris with all the robo worms.

Troll bite is over guys lets move forward. Keep the GOOD info coming.

I actually liked the dock witch! She was the only person who actually tried to enforce rules. Lots of you boaters act like biatches. You have a boat that goes over 50 mph and can cover DVL in minutes, but because there is no law enforcement and your not being watched by mommy and daddy, you think you can just do what you like. You run over quiet water, and park your boat within casting distance of shore fishing only spots. Then you complain because my baits are splashing too close to your boat and causing an unsafe condition. I especially like it when you decide to cast at the boil my lure just made hitting the water! Very impressive watching you troll to the boil because you cant cast for Shizzz.

BentRod
08-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Like the lake the way it is. Not a bunch of boats and people. I would however like to see it return to a full pool. Oh, and by the way , this "boater" does respect your shore fishing space.

youronecastshort
08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Guys. ...guys....guys! Can we take it easy on this Dock Witch lady. She is my wife and All

Matt_Magnone
08-22-2013, 10:02 PM

the objective of this thread is to get angler opinions on the lake. do you like it, hate it or just dont care. it's apparent that a lot of anglers are unhappy but aren't willing to be vocal about it. at first i didnt know how to take corey (hardcor). i wasn't really sure who he was or what his deal was. then after we exchanged replies i gathered that corey speaks his mind. if he doesnt like something, he's not gonna sugar coat it but rather just tell you. he's been very vocal about what his views are of the lake and what he wishes the lake would change. cool dude. more of us should be more vocal. it made me think a little. if we're unhappy with what we have now, in the future were still gonna be unhappy. why not make an effort to change that? why not make an effort to try and keep the lake open? thats what it really boils down to.

unfortunately not many people on the site have an avenue to use in order to get their message out and be take seriously. by sending in an email to MWD, calling the lake, calling DFW the majority of times, as much as it sucks, we're probably being brushed under the rug. as always, at a rish, i'm using my reputation in the industry as a way to get people together to brainstorm. whether this goes anywhere; who the heck knows. at least its an effort. my MAIN objective in all my posts, videos, responses on here is to keep diamond valley open for fishing. with all this constructive criticism in one place, i would hope the MWD, the lake and DFW can take at least a few ideas and possibly improve on them. if 1 or 2 things were done; thats a whole lot better than none at all.

Matt_Magnone
08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
keep these posts coming guys! the ideas are excellent. im gonna have megan make some calls to the water district, owners and the concession about this thread and at least have them look at it.

HuskerRod
08-23-2013, 08:24 AM
I think a lot of people have opinions and would like to voice them, but to who? EMWD is a big outfit (bureaucracy), but I wouldnt know who or how to talk to anybody with any say on DVL. I guess one could talk to the marina/concessionaire at the lake, but you might have better luck on discussing with them whether or not they stock "Hohos or Twinkies", "Trident or Wrigleys" gum then anything with the lake. And that is not a knock on them. They are just there to rent boats and merchandise. They dont have any say on the lake issues. somebody in a huge glass house, somewhere on the 32nd floor must be calling the shots somewhere.

Im gonna recommend we have "hardcore" setup an appointment with this mystery DVL shot caller. He sounds like a tough/honory cuss not afraid to tell it like it is.

DEVOREFLYER
08-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Slap the dumb *** that bought the docks up side the head and tow them to an area where shore fishermen and the handicapped can use them. Replace the existing docks with one that have the RIGHT HEIGHT bumpers so a Bass Boat is not damaged when the wind is up , even with bumpers on the boat if you get caught in a trough your going to get damaged!! Stock some Trout the size that will allow it to survive Mr. Stripy and enforce a slot limit on them. Eliminate the $3 boat tag fee, jeeze don't we pay enough to fish there. Senior discount would be nice. Change the lake hours (open earlier-close later) as the best fishing times are limited. Weekday night fishing events. Fish cleaning station for those that keep their fish. Teach the employee's what service is about, it's not to be confused with the farmer bringing the Bull in to SERVICE the Cow.:EyePop:

ps: I C&R.

Hardcor
08-23-2013, 09:28 AM
And this is why FNN is going down the tubes, as-s wholes.

FNN is getting stronger everyday ! If it were not for Megan and Matt and FNN, there would be no Extension ramp !

I'm here to stay BuB ! Don't tell me to go someplace else ! This is my lake Too ! I'm going to help get things right !

Reel fisherman don't Kiss As-s ! It does not help when people are complaining about the staff and you come in an say you never had a problem !

That's a KISS AS_S ! I am an as-s hole at times ! But in my whole life I've never been a Kiss As-s !

Kiss As-s !

Corey

http://youtu.be/92uqs592sVM

DEVOREFLYER
08-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Hardcore I could not agree more and we seem to be of like minds. My Doctor "Practices Medicine", my Lawyer "Practices Law" and I rather like being a "Practicing A-ss Hole" myself. Everyone's entitled to "MY" opinion and I don't lose any sleep if they agree or not.

Hardcor
08-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I just gave my experiences and opinion at DVL and then this over zealous hater comes at me and call me an as_s kisser... WTF, grow up! You know I don't get out as much as most on FNN and try to post helpful posts and participate the best I can, but there is an obvious clique on FNN for this lake and others and I guess I am just wasting my time.

Some of these comments sound like people think they have some kind of special rights to DVL. It's a business. If you don't like the product, go somewhere else. If you think you can do a better job, then make a bid for the rights and go for it.

I have been a trouble shooter longer then you have been alive ! To fix a problem you start a form and ask questions ! Data ! Just like Matt's doing now !

There are lots of veritable's that you add to the equation looking for answers !

You never add the veritable KISS AS-S !

http://youtu.be/KMRCOMoxiIo

HuskerRod
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Okay, im gonna go there. I have heard a few people mentioning the word "closing" in the same sentence with DVL. Is their talk if admission doesnt pick-up they are just gonna lock up and close the whole enchilada?

Skinny
08-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Since nobody gets to catch the fish at Lake Matthews, take them all out and put them in DVL. Haha.
Hours of operation would be my main gripe. They need to stay open until at least 9PM.

DEVOREFLYER
08-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay, im gonna go there. I have heard a few people mentioning the word "closing" in the same sentence with DVL. Is their talk if admission doesnt pick-up they are just gonna lock up and close the whole enchilada?

While that would surely be a great loss it would be no surprise as they have done little to make for a great experience and make people want to come back. I haven't been there all year because of the attitude. Imagine that a State run lake (Perris, Silverwood) has better customer service. DVL is like going to the DMV.:EyePop:

JigStop
08-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Matt: Your best idea is the dock.....
Make it a long and wide fishing dock and put some structure underneath it. (hint: brush piles)
A campground would be too costly. Maybe some fish cleaning stations cause that dock will definetly hold some monster panfish.

Rick Grover
08-23-2013, 02:16 PM
1. How about a fish cleaning station like every other lake in California.
2 Permanent restrooms with stalls where you can actually sit on the toilet and not have your knees pressing against the door of it.
3. How about some fishermen's hours. Enough of the kangaroo rat b.s. for keeping the lake closed. Fishermen must wait until daylight but park employees can go tearing up the road in the dark at 4 a.m.?
4. Get rid off all the *** hats working there. I pay money and use my time to come there. I don't need some punk acting like it's a privilege that I am there.
5. Shore fishermen getting screwed with the trail pass even though they can only go on 2 miles of shore line.
6. Open the lake earlier and keep it open later.
7. Please see #6
8. I like the trout plants taking place at the marina, it gives shore anglers a great shot at the fish as they spread out over the next couple days.
9. Updated trout stock information. It seems this is the only lake that hides it's stock days and locations. I can call any other lake and get the day and location stocked. Here is it some secrete society. (Thanks Kwin)
10. Please see #6

Of all the posts on here before the crap started, this was the one that hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I want to work in the AM and leave Anaheim and go for the afternoon. By the time I get there, I get a whopping 3 hours or so to fish and its just not enough. Make the Lake have the same hours as Perris, [Gee wonder where all the hardcore bassers went?], open in the dark and close after the sun is down. Make the yearly pass a reasonable price, [$250.00?]. We all need to get past the fact that the lake has settled into what it is going to be from now on. Seasonal bites that are dictated by water level and change from season to season. Just like Brad Pitt says in the movie "Moneyball", Adapt or Die. When San Vincente reopens next year, it will be the new DVL for a few years, so get ready. If I lived in the DVL area and got off work each day at 5 or so I would be at that lake in the evening a bunch. Its the hours.

HuskerRod
08-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Rick,

Man, i'd love to fish DVL after work, but it closes so dang early I just drive on by and go to Perris and I can see the dang lake from my office window. I've tried going after work, but the place closed at 7:00 every time I fished. Id park, launch, and haul backside to my spot and by the time it almost got great it was time to come in.

Im a year pass holder, but cant justify renewing unless something changes with the hours.

HuskerRod
08-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Why DVL is struggling in simple terms:

-Lets put a lake in the middle of no where with absolutaly nothing to offer but fishing (okay, could be a positive)
-Lets make it pricey to get into
-Lets give it the shortest hours of operation of any of the lakes
-Lets make you get special inspection to gain the privelege to pay to fish......and lets throw your *** to the curb if you dont pass

olfishergal
08-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Just my Opinion but I would like to see the campground below the lake next to that useless swimming pool. I live much to far away to do anything else but camp. Gets interesting when I have to haul my butt over to Perris after a short day at DVL.. Funny, I set up camp and head down to the lake and fish late. Maybe I should just fish at Perris. Extend the lake hours, closes way too early and opens way to late. Need a fishing dock. Need nice people in that little tackle store who actually know something about fishing. Need a fish cleaning station. Lower the fees. Need some rest areas (docks) at different places with a few trees just to have lunch, take a break. Need to have the gate move faster. One person collecting those high fees makes the line go so slow. Enforce speed limits on the lake. wow those bass guys haul as_s way to much making the wakes they create kind of dangerous and annoying.

twcthfsh
08-25-2013, 11:12 PM
First--Leave the lake open longer. Pulling a boat a long way and having to quit fishing by 5PM doesn't work. They have night fishing on occasion, so why not have boats off the lake say 2 hrs. after sunset.

Second--Plant some more fish--when the fish are biting, fishermen come in great numbers.

Third--When boats are starting to come out, have a golf cart to help run older fishermen to the top of the ramp.

HawgZWylde
08-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Lake hours as of late are 5:30 am-6:30pm. They have been opening before sunrise and require lights until sunrise. We go every week and stay on the lake for the full day. Absolutely hate getting off at the end of the day when the late afternoon-evening bite is heating up...

Keep It Reel !
08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm an annual pass holder and have been for many years. I will NOT be renewing my pass this year just because of the inconsistent management. I went to college in Anaheim for 3 years, got out at 1pm and drove to DVL 4-5 times per week. Even though I knew I'd only have 1.5-2 hours to fish, I was strict with time and knew how long it took to get back to the parking lot at 4:30 from every spot I fished. I always paid the fishing fee, I have a trail pass. Sometimes, Id just leave the parking lot running, and return jogging, I am very technical and knew my window was small. When management decided to start closing 20-30 minutes before the posted time last year , I questioned every lake worker why this was happening. They would say they've been there since opening, they are short on man power, I'm the only car in the parking lot, etc. Every excuse you could think of, I heard it!! By now I was just pissed and angry because I had to drive back to Buena Park to go home.
I did my part, paid my dues, paid a load in gas $$$, dumped tens of thousands of miles on my car and this is how I'm treated? Talk about a mangement failure! I think Rick Grover and Anglers or Matt and Last chance should take over management. Either fix DVL and make her the fishing jewel she could be, or close her down and let the protected animals roam.
Where is the founding father at now? Mike Giusti was a person to thank for the opportunities at DVL, maybe he could fix this mess?

Keep It Reel !
08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Third--When boats are starting to come out, have a golf cart to help run older fishermen to the top of the ramp.[/QUOTE]

Great comment!! Leave a golf cart at the rental dock, and one at the marina office, plug it in, cost efficient and environmentally safe. This could be on the paperwork you sign off on for boaters, (check this box if you agree to waive liability) because you cant risk an at fault accident as management/operator. As management you want to be cost effective and safe and encourage attendance. You would not need to hire someone specifically for this job, any lake personnel could do it.
I definitely would want to bring someone like my Mom (senior) out to DVL if this plan existed!

HuskerRod
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
As if their hours werent short enough already, now they are closing before the posted times???? UGHHHHHH
I'm an annual pass holder and have been for many years. I will NOT be renewing my pass this year just because of the inconsistent management. I went to college in Anaheim for 3 years, got out at 1pm and drove to DVL 4-5 times per week. Even though I knew I'd only have 1.5-2 hours to fish, I was strict with time and knew how long it took to get back to the parking lot at 4:30 from every spot I fished. I always paid the fishing fee, I have a trail pass. Sometimes, Id just leave the parking lot running, and return jogging, I am very technical and knew my window was small. When management decided to start closing 20-30 minutes before the posted time last year , I questioned every lake worker why this was happening. They would say they've been there since opening, they are short on man power, I'm the only car in the parking lot, etc. Every excuse you could think of, I heard it!! By now I was just pissed and angry because I had to drive back to Buena Park to go home.
I did my part, paid my dues, paid a load in gas $$$, dumped tens of thousands of miles on my car and this is how I'm treated? Talk about a mangement failure! I think Rick Grover and Anglers or Matt and Last chance should take over management. Either fix DVL and make her the fishing jewel she could be, or close her down and let the protected animals roam.
Where is the founding father at now? Mike Giusti was a person to thank for the opportunities at DVL, maybe he could fix this mess?

HawgZWylde
08-26-2013, 02:29 PM

"Either fix DVL and make her the fishing jewel she could be, or close her down and let the protected animals roam."

The lake hours are determined by the amount of daylight. DFW set those hours just to "protect" the Kangaroo rat. Judging by your post, I would think YOU would support that. I don't, I think it was flat out wrong seizing the land around the lake and designating it "protected habitat". It should be a park. As I posted above, the lake hours have been 5:30am-6:30pm. A DFW policy change must have happened recently since we are now allowed in before sunrise. They cannot and will not close early if anglers are still on the water. If it's close to the posted closing time and no one is there, perhaps they might close. Why not, private businesses are still hurting badly due to the economy. And with the upcoming implementation of Obamacare, expect more pain in the private sector. Perhaps even the two private businesses you mentioned. And I still say an escalator up the ramp would be great...:Wink:

ezfishn
08-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Its always about $$$$$$$ and politics whether the lake management or MWD. The fishing quality at DVL has declined over the past 5 years that I've fished there. I've heard some say its just a cycle but they evidently are drinking too much of the water...just look how low its getting...LOL Where else do you have to pay $50 + for a license and then get told when you can fish...LOL They need people to monitor the fish taken out and more transplants. But as long as it is a water resource managed by a MWD then it is what it is....JMHO

twcthfsh
08-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Matt--lots of input. Are you going to put out a summary report? Would be interesting to see what the top 5 suggestions were.

Matt_Magnone
08-27-2013, 09:03 PM
very interesting read if you actually go back and look.

if i could narrow it down to the top 3 things talked about it would be:

fees to get into the lake
hours of operation
shoreline access for elderly or disabled

there were a lot of good ideas brought up and these seemed to be the most talked about in pretty much that order.

while the lake hours are pretty much going to be set in stone and most likely will never change the main two things that could possible ever change would be fee's to get into the lake as well as making the lake better shoreline accessible.

i did my best to find the lake entry fee's to lakes in our general area. dont hold me to these prices as i usually just pay the money and fish. i know at dvl i hand them $3, skinner i hand them a $20 and perris i hand them a $20. i went ahead and looked online and this is what i came up with.

perris:
vehicle- $10
launch- $8

skinner:
vehicle-
non holiday $6
holiday $8-$15
launch- $5
fishingadult $4
fishing kids $2

elsinore: (average)
lake use- $15
launch- $10
day use- $10

silverwood:
vehicle- $10
boat- $8

diamond
vehicle- $7
launch- $12
fishing- $3
trail- $3

with the prices, im not sure if its as simple as just hacking $$$. it would be nice for them to go over the data from all the local lakes and re evaluate their prices. maybe make them match some of the others.

as far as the shore line accessible areas; i would highly doubt there would be a way to make the whole shoreline easily accessible. a dock or set of docks seem feasible even a stairwell or two in a few of the key areas. what are your views on that? do you think it would be possible? docks seem like a no brainer but the only thing of a set of stairs would be a potential liability if someone fell off.

it almost feels as if im beating a dead horse but at least we can try to do things. the fact of the matter is people WANT to fish dvl. this post was made to show the powers that be what the REAL reason many choose not to go. fishing is fishing. we can all deal with a crappy bite. being that its more than just the fishing. this is something they need to know.

fishinone
08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
You left out inhospitibillity. That was discussed many times.

You also left out quagga mussel inspections. Taking tags from other SoCal lakes.

When you combine inhospirable staff with quagga mussel inspections, we get kickedoff our more local lakes for a week if we fail an unnecassary inspection after driving all night to get to DVL.

Keep It Reel !
08-28-2013, 08:02 AM
"Either fix DVL and make her the fishing jewel she could be, or close her down and let the protected animals roam."

The lake hours are determined by the amount of daylight. DFW set those hours just to "protect" the Kangaroo rat. Judging by your post, I would think YOU would support that. I don't, I think it was flat out wrong seizing the land around the lake and designating it "protected habitat". It should be a park. As I posted above, the lake hours have been 5:30am-6:30pm. A DFW policy change must have happened recently since we are now allowed in before sunrise. They cannot and will not close early if anglers are still on the water. If it's close to the posted closing time and no one is there, perhaps they might close. Why not, private businesses are still hurting badly due to the economy. And with the upcoming implementation of Obamacare, expect more pain in the private sector. Perhaps even the two private businesses you mentioned. And I still say an escalator up the ramp would be great...:Wink:

If I was gonna judge you based on your posts, I'd say your just a Bass guy, Stripers are too much for you.

No, I'm not about giving in to the Kangaroo rat, I'm a shore angler why would I agree with restriction? I'm saying if this place cant attract anglers and keep attendance up and make positive revenue, close it and leave it. It sounds good when you say "they cannot and will not close early if anglers are still on the water. You boat fish, you dont know what goes on with shore anglers vs lake personnel.
I'm in the private business sector, I own my own business, I have a degree in CPU networking and I dont ever close or leave a job because I'm tired or I'm the only car in the parking lot. Maybe that's why I've got customers/clients scheduled 24/7 365. Hawgz, this issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with Obamacare, besides, I've seen seniors benefit from Obamacare already.
What's next a floating bathroom fee for boaters? Anybody else notice the marina stocks went from thousands of lbs to hundreds of lbs.??? No, I'm not referring to the DFW stock, I'm talking about the fishing fee which was implemented to pay for private marina stocks.

Keep It Reel !
08-28-2013, 08:07 AM
why dvl is struggling in simple terms:

-lets put a lake in the middle of no where with absolutaly nothing to offer but fishing (okay, could be a positive)
-lets make it pricey to get into
-lets give it the shortest hours of operation of any of the lakes
-lets make you get special inspection to gain the privelege to pay to fish......and lets throw your *** to the curb if you dont pass

The definition of DVL!

eah
08-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Matt, I think your rates for DVL maybe understated, or I was over charged for my last trip. My wife and I, with our boat were charged $28. I believe that is your listed amounts, plus a $3 charge for the re-entry tag.

ezfishn
08-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Matt, I think your rates for DVL maybe understated, or I was over charged for my last trip. My wife and I, with our boat were charged $28. I believe that is your listed amounts, plus a $3 charge for the re-entry tag.

Eah, you were charged correctly....$25 for two people plus $3 for tag = $28

ezfishn
08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Wasn't there a petition signed the last time the water level was this low and MWD agreed to raise the level if we paid higher fees? So are they going to jack up the fees again to compensate for the low levels.

seal
08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Float tube and kayak (SOT) access was mentioned multiple times but not included. I understand boaters don't like them, more people to share the lake with but that's the gotcha, people like the lack of crowds but lack of crowds could be lakes demise. The lake needs to market to as many people as possible since fishing is it's only financial support, it currently is not marketing to much of anybody except boat owners with quite a bit of money and even they are complaining.

Although I don't think upgrading the store or bathrooms will necessarily bring in that much more revenue but it is ridiculous the promises made before the lake was built and what has been delivered, only honest attempt was at getting the fishery in good shape but since DVL is not at the top of the list for water storage in draught years well then stripy rules and all else suffers.

Good luck!

eah
08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I do not have a dog in the trail fee fight, but my opinion is that charging $3 to use the trail is ridiculous. The trails / roads are primarily there for MWD needs; to charge to walk or ride a bike does not pass the smell test. As far as a fee to have a boat banded, that too is also ridiculous; the band reduces MWD (inspection) cost; there should not be a tag application fee.

flybynight
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Matt sure stired a bundle of worms on his Post !

Fishingkid97
08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
How about in the winter having a couple bigger trout derbies to help raise money for the trout stalking? Try to get the larger stocks back in the lake.i recall several years ago they had some trout tournaments with separate weigh in for boats and shore.

HuskerRod
08-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Interesting points............................curious to know how much of that three dollar a head fishing fee actually goes to stocking fish.

Okay, so here is the ultimate poor customer service DVL example. A buddy from work was riding the trails on his bike around the lake. Somewhere around the midway point he blows a flat and is SOL. He then has to walk his bike back all the way back to the launch arriving well after close. At that point an angry looking lake employee is sitting in the parking lot, scolds him, and hands him a ticket. He tries pleading his case and he only gets more scolding.

seal
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Interesting points............................curious to know how much of that three dollar a head fishing fee actually goes to stocking fish.

Okay, so here is the ultimate poor customer service DVL example. A buddy from work was riding the trails on his bike around the lake. Somewhere around the midway point he blows a flat and is SOL. He then has to walk his bike back all the way back to the launch arriving well after close. At that point an angry looking lake employee is sitting in the parking lot, scolds him, and hands him a ticket. He tries pleading his case and he only gets more scolding.

Could be your buddy was riding where he wasn't supposed to be if he was that far out? Just a thought.

Matt_Magnone
08-28-2013, 03:55 PM
maybe I did stir some stuff up but the intent wasn't there. ive been a contributor far more than a lurker. always try to come up with some solutions the best I can. if you really look back, lots of things were mentioned. majority of guys were mad about the lake opening late and closing early, the amount it costs to fish, and the shoreline access. I apologize if I missed something but I did the best I could to look through all the posts to try and come up with something. im not compiling a survey or study for myself. technically I did, but the hopes of this thread was NOT for my own informational purposes but to have something for the lake and mwd look at and answer their own question " Why has participation lacked in the last 3 years". its apparent they need business and its also apparent we want that lake. the whole point behind this is to help the lake come up with something to please both us and them. its obvious we live in a world where pleasing people isn't the same as it used to be. all we can do is try and help one another out.

all of the price info I listed were from individual lake websites in general. if they weren't up to date im apologize.

thank you guys for responding to this thread. I appreciate the good solid info given. if 1, 2, or 3 of the many items throughout this thread were met; I would be stoked.

thanks again,
matt

fishinone
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, regardless of whether people are willing to discuss it, I wouldn't want the lake, the local vendors or MWD to come away with the impression that I will be a customer if they they don't have employees who aren't hard to deal with or if my previously inspected and tagged boat can be turned away at someones whim.

I don't have to come over there to fish. Make it a pain and I'm not coming. It's as simple as that.

ghost2uu
08-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Matt,
If the lake opens at last years hours of operation I will be out there probably three or four times this upcoming fall/winter season. If they open the lake 1 hour earlier and keep it open until dark I would be there about 15 to 25 times this season.

HawgZWylde
08-28-2013, 04:54 PM
If I was gonna judge you based on your posts, I'd say your just a Bass guy, Stripers are too much for you.

No, I'm not about giving in to the Kangaroo rat, I'm a shore angler why would I agree with restriction? I'm saying if this place cant attract anglers and keep attendance up and make positive revenue, close it and leave it. It sounds good when you say "they cannot and will not close early if anglers are still on the water. You boat fish, you dont know what goes on with shore anglers vs lake personnel.
I'm in the private business sector, I own my own business, I have a degree in CPU networking and I dont ever close or leave a job because I'm tired or I'm the only car in the parking lot. Maybe that's why I've got customers/clients scheduled 24/7 365. Hawgz, this issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with Obamacare, besides, I've seen seniors benefit from Obamacare already.
What's next a floating bathroom fee for boaters? Anybody else notice the marina stocks went from thousands of lbs to hundreds of lbs.??? No, I'm not referring to the DFW stock, I'm talking about the fishing fee which was implemented to pay for private marina stocks.

Out of respect for Matt I'll spare schooling you in econ 101. You want to come over to the general section, I'll be glad to accommodate you. But I will say this, I have a few DD DVL Stripers under my belt, on top of all the schoolies, Cats, Gills, and Crappy. I've fished all over the Sierras for Trout, from shore, all 53 years of my life. And have fished in many different states too boot. But yes indeed, LMB's are my prefered target, just like Matt. Most of the people on this forum are hardcore anglers so most will find a way to fish no matter what, including me. But the general Joe public is not, and in case you haven't noticed MOST folks are still struggling to make ends meet hence the reduction in the amount of anglers at any given lake. Lower revenue to the marina means less amount of stocked fish. And you are mistaken, people need full time jobs in order to splurge on angling. Obamacare has all but killed full time hiring and the individual and the employer mandate have not even hit yet. Wait until they do...

HawgZWylde
08-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Matt has a yearly pass hence him paying only 3 bucks for his boat tag...

ShellBack USNRET
08-28-2013, 07:43 PM
WARNING!No more petitions to upgrade or add more commodities! The petition pertaining to the ramp extension, marketed around an increase in fees to pay for the extension. Well how did that work. My annual pass went from approximately $250 to $450.

Months after the ramp extension was completed, MWD started raising the water level. Boy that went over real well. The ramp extension went underwater, but the increase in fees has stayed the same. Haven't been to the lake in some time, maybe the ramp extension might come back into play. As a petitioner we asked and they delivered, hence the reason DVL charges more than the surrounding lakes.

I got burned on my first and only $450 annual pass because my return on investment was never met by going to the lake enough times to even break even. NO MORE ANNUAL passes at $450 for this angler.

I also lost money on the $250 annual pass when the lake first closed during the first draw down. When the lake re-opened I was deployed and by the time I was able to get back on the lake they only gave me two months credit. I explained the situation and asked for a military discount. Well we know DVL’s history of hospitality. I got five months use on a $250 annual pass.

For those anglers who wanted the Jewel to be their exclusive place to spend time fishing, how did DVL reward anglers who strove to control the quagga mussels? They slapped a penalty for returning to the lake and charged us $3 on a re-entry tag. So I paid $450 for the annual pass, then turned around and paid $3 for the fishing access permit, and if I wanted to avoid the next inspection pay another $3 for a re-enter tag. Did MWD overlook the last five years of this economy. Heck when people are worried about having to sell their boat and gear if they hit the unemployment line, the choice of fishing or wishing I was fishing becomes a real dilemma. No brainer, it cost more resources to jump in a boat to conduct an inspection, then to rip off a re-entry tag. This was an obvious scheme to reach once again into my pockets.

When we complained about these two issues before on this very forum, some uttered “well go somewhere else to fish”. WELL I’M FISHING SOMEWHERE ELSE

Summary
1. Price inflation
2. Lack of respect for the community who once supported this project
3. Striper’s catching more fish than I can, and they didn’t pay a single dime

Cadillyak
08-28-2013, 09:51 PM
SOT kayaks sure would be nice. I mean sit inside kayaks are allowed, when realistically, Sit ins are more recreational while sit ons tend to be geared more towards fishing. Even mandatory waders is a step in the right direction. If SOT's were allowed, a whole new world would be introduced to DVL. Even a 12ft length requirement for SOT's would be cool. Just a thought for us yakkers.

Keep It Reel !
08-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Out of respect for Matt I'll spare schooling you in econ 101. You want to come over to the general section, I'll be glad to accommodate you. But I will say this, I have a few DD DVL Stripers under my belt, on top of all the schoolies, Cats, Gills, and Crappy. I've fished all over the Sierras for Trout, from shore, all 53 years of my life. And have fished in many different states too boot. But yes indeed, LMB's are my prefered target, just like Matt. Most of the people on this forum are hardcore anglers so most will find a way to fish no matter what, including me. But the general Joe public is not, and in case you haven't noticed MOST folks are still struggling to make ends meet hence the reduction in the amount of anglers at any given lake. Lower revenue to the marina means less amount of stocked fish. And you are mistaken, people need full time jobs in order to splurge on angling. Obamacare has all but killed full time hiring and the individual and the employer mandate have not even hit yet. Wait until they do...

Yeah buddy, spare me your ECON 101. When you open a business in these "hard times" and its successful and you are hiring employees during Obamacare, get at me.
This is about improvements to DVL and it seems you get lost and always go back to Obamacare or "hard times". These times are hard because of many factors and many ignorant presidents not just 1. If you limit yourself to thinking like you do, your missing the entire picture. I too have fished many states, even bass and Striper tournaments in Az, Tx, Ill, WI. Just like you saying "they wont close the lake with cars in the parking lot" your wrong. It obvious you are old school and I wont disrespect you because I dont know you personally and I thought you were a decent DVL hardcore guy........ Not because of Matt.

I only want to make improvements to DVL, and help expose why its a failing. We all know management failed on every level. I personally lost all respect for the Management when they "Knowingly allowed a person who cheats and uses live bait constantly/ illegally to retain lake records." Even though all the DVL die-hards have called this fool out before, the management decided showing lake records being broken to attract customers. The guy even won a boat at the Trout derby by cheating and storing his fish in the 3rd cove near the cinder blocks. This is the current lake record holder according to Management. He also had the Striper record, but thankfully, Tommy/ Nhuan got a legit record fish, well deserved.

HuskerRod
08-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Wow................................in regaRDS TO THE SECOND PART.
Yeah buddy, spare me your ECON 101. When you open a business in these "hard times" and its successful and you are hiring employees during Obamacare, get at me.
This is about improvements to DVL and it seems you get lost and always go back to Obamacare or "hard times". These times are hard because of many factors and many ignorant presidents not just 1. If you limit yourself to thinking like you do, your missing the entire picture. I too have fished many states, even bass and Striper tournaments in Az, Tx, Ill, WI. Just like you saying "they wont close the lake with cars in the parking lot" your wrong. It obvious you are old school and I wont disrespect you because I dont know you personally and I thought you were a decent DVL hardcore guy........ Not because of Matt.

I only want to make improvements to DVL, and help expose why its a failing. We all know management failed on every level. I personally lost all respect for the Management when they "Knowingly allowed a person who cheats and uses live bait constantly/ illegally to retain lake records." Even though all the DVL die-hards have called this fool out before, the management decided showing lake records being broken to attract customers. The guy even won a boat at the Trout derby by cheating and storing his fish in the 3rd cove near the cinder blocks. This is the current lake record holder according to Management. He also had the Striper record, but thankfully, Tommy/ Nhuan got a legit record fish, well deserved.

HawgZWylde
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM

K, whatever floats your boat man. But if you really want changes to the lake, the DFW, MWD, and the Cali state government is where you need to look. As far as tourney's and Derby's are concerned, and the cheaters that go with it? That's their deal and their rules. I could care less. Lake, State, and world records? Again, I could care less but check out how many have been established using live bait in the past. I don't use it, never will.

Bottom line, the marina folks lease the rights to operate at DVL. They have to at least break even or they cease to exist. Quagga inspections are mandated by the State/MWD. If they fail with their inspections, it's on their a**** and they would then have to answer to the State. It's called LIABILITY. If they fail, again they cease to operate.

I'm still a decent "DVL hardcore guy". I just know where the real problems exist and know us DVL guys are up against a huge bureaucratic monstrosity, and an economy where a lot folks are working 3 part time jobs just to keep their heads above water. Less money and less time to fish equal less people at the lakes paying revenue equal reduced services. Really, it's simple common sense.

And I have to ask since you said it, why close the lake to all if you don't get your way? Derby or no Derby...

seal
08-29-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm still a decent "DVL hardcore guy". I just know where the real problems exist and know us DVL guys are up against a huge bureaucratic monstrosity, and an economy where a lot folks are working 3 part time jobs just to keep their heads above water. Less money and less time to fish equal less people at the lakes paying revenue equal reduced services. Really, it's simple common sense. .

Also when times are tough marketing to just a small portion of the angling population when your whole business model is based on attracting anglers is just bad business. It is obvious that if there was better shore fishing opportunities quite a bit more money could be made there. There is a reason why the DVL striper chasing crew have moved on to Silverwood and other lakes and it's probably not all due to a downfall in the striper population. If you mine the shore fishing individuals add to it float tubes and kayaks then right there the revenue will increase, word of mouth will increase which in turn would bring in more boaters. The lake needs some positive PR and it's getting nothing but negative they need to do something drastic to turn that around especially with the drawdown for this winter, basically there is relatively no hope if it's left at status quo.

But all the ideas in the world aren't going to break thru the water districts draconian rules made up for this lake. As I said before, good luck!

HawgZWylde
08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Also when times are tough marketing to just a small portion of the angling population when your whole business model is based on attracting anglers is just bad business. It is obvious that if there was better shore fishing opportunities quite a bit more money could be made there. There is a reason why the DVL striper chasing crew have moved on to Silverwood and other lakes and it's probably not all due to a downfall in the striper population. If you mine the shore fishing individuals add to it float tubes and kayaks then right there the revenue will increase, word of mouth will increase which in turn would bring in more boaters. The lake needs some positive PR and it's getting nothing but negative they need to do something drastic to turn that around especially with the drawdown for this winter, basically there is relatively no hope if it's left at status quo.

But all the ideas in the world aren't going to break thru the water districts draconian rules made up for this lake. As I said before, good luck!

" If you mine the shore fishing individuals add to it float tubes and kayaks then right there the revenue will increase, word of mouth will increase which in turn would bring in more boaters"

Yup, I totally agree. But it's not up to the marina folks Seal. The bureaucracy has complete say and I don't think angling is their top concern, water and generating electricity are. As you know, most of DVL's shoreline is steep and rocky, therefore I'm sure liability concerns are there as well in today's world of suing for stubbing one's toe. Add to the fact that it's a designated protected wildlife habitat...

DEVOREFLYER
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Like I said before move those present boat docks out for the shore and handicapped fishermen and put boat friendly docks in.

HawgZWylde
08-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Float tubes and kayaks at DVL, WOW. I'm not a hater and to each it's own. I never fished from the shore, but I sure recall that DVL is known for those white cap type afternoon winds. Spent most of my life in the Navy and one thing I don't under estimate is the power of wind and water. If you get your wish with those tubes and kayaks. Be smart!

Which brings me to another suggestion. Extend the wave attenuator. Docking on big wave days there s**ks...

DEVOREFLYER
08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Float tubes and kayaks at DVL, WOW. I'm not a hater and to each it's own. I never fished from the shore, but I sure recall that DVL is known for those white cap type afternoon winds. Spent most of my life in the Navy and one thing I don't under estimate is the power of wind and water (even in a bathtub like DVL). If you get your wish with those tubes and kayaks. Be smart!

That's why I said get rid of those crappy boat docks. The attenuator does little to stop the wind driven wave action in the marina when you try to dock your boat and get caught in a trough and a wave comes in at the dock. It could get real ugly for a Kayak and or float tuber when the wind is up.

twcthfsh
08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't think the price is too big an issue. After all this is the jewel.

All I know is that when the fish are biting there are a lot more cars in the parking lot. Stripers bit well all summer in Lake Mead and Lake Powell. Don't know why the stripers bite in DVL some summers and not others--although it seem that when water is coming into the lake the striper bite is much better. The hugh difference in DVL striper bite from one summer to another still is a puzzle.

seal
08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
ShellBack USNRET "Float tubes and kayaks at DVL, WOW. I'm not a hater and to each it's own. I never fished from the shore, but I sure recall that DVL is known for those white cap type afternoon winds. Spent most of my life in the Navy and one thing I don't under estimate is the power of wind and water. If you get your wish with those tubes and kayaks. Be smart!"

Be smart? Nope that's for boaters we all know that kayak and float tubers are total idiots right?

DVL has nothing on Crowley and even Silverwood. The key would be to only allow access to a portion of the lake as far as tubes go, kayaks can handle a little more but if you do either and don't follow weather reports then you are being foolish if you fish big water. Are tubers and yakr's any dumber than some of the boat operators out there?

tall tales
08-30-2013, 02:50 PM
well since i mainly fish the shore i would like to see a few more treah cans around the shore areas. to the east there is only one by the out house, i only know of three to the west but i could be wrong. they could have the 502 crew grab them on their rounds i doubt if the cans would ever be to full to carry. the trail fee blows cause there are very few trails even at full pool. i guess they consider the ROAD a trail but that is never near the water except in one spot. for not having that many shore fisherman there is sure alot of trash.

HawgZWylde
08-30-2013, 03:14 PM
well since i mainly fish the shore i would like to see a few more treah cans around the shore areas. to the east there is only one by the out house, i only know of three to the west but i could be wrong. they could have the 502 crew grab them on their rounds i doubt if the cans would ever be to full to carry. the trail fee blows cause there are very few trails even at full pool. i guess they consider the ROAD a trail but that is never near the water except in one spot. for not having that many shore fisherman there is sure alot of trash.

Lot's of Ninja evidence around the lake...

Calicanuck
08-31-2013, 06:13 PM
I've never been fishing there since they don't allow
1. Sit On Top Kayaks
2. Just got a boat with a 75 horse 2 stroke and found out I can't use that their either (guessing this won't change, but why not sit on top kayaks?)

Matt_Magnone
08-31-2013, 09:10 PM
i know i'm going to take heat and people will bash me for this statement but, sit on top kayaks, float tubing and wading in general all fall into the category of body contact which the lake and mwd stood strictly against since day one. otherwise they would have opened it up originally. thats what i was told the lower lakes were to be used for. while it sucks, i doubt the lake would allow it now. the argument of waders could be given and has been in the past but it usually never goes anywhere. the moment the body contact argument is brought up then in my opinion sorta opens the doors for various other avenues besides fishing. take water skiing for example. say a guy is fully covered and is skiing around the lake, which the lake could support, then falls in the water. technically he's still covered much like a guy in waders. how would it be okay for him to be allowed access and not a tuber? or vise versa? why would it be fair for the tuber to be allowed to touch the water and not the water skier? somewhat of a double standard. very tough nut to crack but i suppose it could be possible. i personally could care less. let the tube guys on. i wouldnt care.

as always i play the devils advocate when it comes to rules out there and the lake in general. while i cant stand most of the rules and think a lot are rediculous and bull...; i can understand some of them.

Brandoncrow123
09-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I think my original post got deleted, or I didn't do it right.

Plant some trees. It's unbearably hot to catfish that lake in summer. There is no shade anywhere. Eucalyptus trees survive floods and drought. Plant a few of those along the shore fishing areas of the lake. They don't cost much, weeds won't grow under them, and if you ever need to trim them, you can throw the logs right into the water, creating cover for the fish to hide in. I would love some trees.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!

seal
09-01-2013, 12:23 PM
the moment the body contact argument is brought up then in my opinion sorta opens the doors for various other avenues besides fishing. take water skiing for example. say a guy is fully covered and is skiing around the lake, which the lake could support, then falls in the water. technically he's still covered much like a guy in waders. how would it be okay for him to be allowed access and not a tuber? or vise versa? why would it be fair for the tuber to be allowed to touch the water and not the water skier? somewhat of a double standard. very tough nut to crack but i suppose it could be possible. i personally could care less. let the tube guys on. i wouldnt care.

as always i play the devils advocate when it comes to rules out there and the lake in general. while i cant stand most of the rules and think a lot are rediculous and bull...; i can understand some of them.

Ok this is the kind of logic that they may use that makes no sense. Many lakes don't allow water skiers but allow float tubes and kayaks. Water skiers need a higher speed limit not present at DVL, many lakes have certain areas for water skiing only. To equate water skiing to float tubing or kayaking is not even apples to oranges!

I understand you are only trying to interpret the purpose for certain rules at the lake and not necessarily defending them.

tree
09-03-2013, 06:38 AM
I think my original post got deleted, or I didn't do it right.

Plant some trees. It's unbearably hot to catfish that lake in summer. There is no shade anywhere. Eucalyptus trees survive floods and drought. Plant a few of those along the shore fishing areas of the lake. They don't cost much, weeds won't grow under them, and if you ever need to trim them, you can throw the logs right into the water, creating cover for the fish to hide in. I would love some trees.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!
I agree. Lots of dead trees under the water, none above the waterline. Maybe organize a few volunteer days/ a spare the air day/ Earth day or plant a tree day?