PDA

View Full Version : Need some saltwater advice please!! Any help

Mr T-rex
08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Taking my boat out for the first time this sunday. im heading out from Cabrillo beach but im new at saltwater fishing so I don't know what fish to target or what spots to hit, any information would be highly appreciated

Thank you & I hope to get some useful information

.:LOLLY:.
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
If this is your first time on that boat, I would recommend you stay inside the wall until you get the hang of things. Other than that, what type of fishing gear do you plan on taking? Than can help in narrowing down the answer so we can know what fish you are capable of targeting.

Mr T-rex
08-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Yes first time on my boat and okay that sounds good
well I have rods from 20lb up to 40lb test

Mr T-rex
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
So much for a forum if you don't get any replies

Frequent Flyer
08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
wrong demographic. youre not going to get many replies for saltwater on a forum that is mainly freshwater. look around for other forums

Mr T-rex
08-16-2013, 04:28 PM
That's true let me see what I can do

wrong demographic. youre not going to get many replies for saltwater on a forum that is mainly freshwater. look around for other forums

JL
08-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh come on there is plenty of Saltwater info on this website. You just have to do a little searching You should look under the bay / surf fishing because there is a lot of info there about fishing within the wall.

Going outside the wall is gong to depend on your boat size, motor? Number of people on the boat and if you know all the capabilities of your boat. This weekend it looks like it may be quite calm outside the wall. So if you go outside the wall fish up close to the wall. Anchor out some and cast into the kelp along the wall. Calico bass, Sand bass, even possible halibut could be caught in those areas. Out from the wall you need to have info on locations. Go to your favorite fishing store and buy some of the maps available. Some of the locations on the maps are worth the trip.
Good Luck

madbass
08-16-2013, 06:35 PM

try bloodydecks, thats all about saltwater and they are pretty cool at giving helpful tips.
bring light gear, 12lb to 20 should be plenty. but try bloodydecks first.

good luck!

Jig-Guy
08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Mr. T-rex! What is the length of your boat? What size engine is on your boat? What kind of electronics is on your boat, fish finder depth finder.
Fishing the wall or Federal breakwater is easy. JL posted above me, start with what he said. Heck I have trolled fresh water bass plugs along the wall and caught all kinds of fish. If you go outside you may want a map and a compass for sure. I would at least want to know how to drive my boat back to Angles Light house so I can get back to the launching ramp.

I just posted this kind of information for fishing inside the Wall (Federal Breawater). Go down to Belmont Shores Pier and drift in 20 to 30 foot of water East of the pier along the beach, drift down to the jetty. Also drift East of the Seal Beach pier down to the jetty. I have caught many keeper halibut 22"+ doing this and it is relatively a safe thing to do. Bait anchove & squid. I use a banana jigs in 3 oz. on the botton and 3/4 oz. above it with squid for bait both jigs (a droper loop with a jig for the bottom weight 3 oz. & the 3/4oz. jig above it 18 inches from the bottom jig).

The sand bass will more than likely be outside the Wall out on the flats. You can see (have a map) the derick Eva off Seal Beach / Huntington Beach (OIL DERICK). Same deal fish your bait on a droper loop (2 hooks & 3 oz. sinker) at the bottom same bait and see what happens. Fish between the derick and the end of the breakwater out in front of Seal Beach. Easy to get back to the end of the wall (breakwater) so you can run back up to the launching ramp behind the breackwater.
You will be going up hill when the wind starts up in the afternoon, the wind & chop will be in your face.
I have been fishing this area since 1952 & I hope this helps,
Jig Guy / Bill

TUNAVIC
08-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Plenty of good advice on this forum let me add my two cents,once you get outside the break wall check and double check everything,bilge any water? Try bilge pump,working? Shut motor off,restart,all cool?
Check conditions,see whitecaps already? Stay in the harbor fish halibut,big swells? If you don't feel comfortable with big swells and big following seas,stay inside and fish halibut.
Ok,ready to go out?
Proceed,first of all look around,what do you see? A lot of boats in one area? A lot of birds diving in one area?
Not much of either? That's ok,if your going out of Cabrillo and have no GPS waypoints to fish I would do this,head straight out to about 80-100ft,hopefully you have a fish finder sonar set up,now go south towards LB,and try to stay on the same depth line,remember your still looking for some of those earlier mentioned sights,boats,birds,lots of life,action ect..
Watch your meter (fish finder) when you see any changes like structure,drop offs,mounds,any kind of changes,go a little up current from the marks and try and fish till you drift past the spot,give it a couple of drifts.
Repeat this prescription and any other fine tips you get from this site,and please,call us back in the morning and let's us know how you did. Jmo

Cya TunaVic

Mr T-rex
08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Wow all of this information is very useful and I appreciate it guys!!
Thanks for everything, now I'm excited and ill have a report to follow with my first trip

Frequent Flyer
08-16-2013, 10:42 PM
try bloodydecks, thats all about saltwater and they are pretty cool at giving helpful tips.
bring light gear, 12lb to 20 should be plenty. but try bloodydecks first.

good luck!

didnt wana name names, but :Wink:

DockRat
08-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Classic, "I want it now" Your post was not even 6 hours old on a weekday.
The key to become a great fisherman is patience. Don't know if you are on a 13' aluminum or a 26' cabin cruiser. Did you want Catalina advice, inside the harbor, bass, shark, halibut ?
Lots of different advice depending on your target species.

Some great fishermen on this website that will share, also people get busy.
Tell us about your trip. Thanks.
DR