PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Shore Fishing?

Master Baiter1
08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Taking the family to Avalon this weekend and while they are snorkeling I was thinking about a little shore fishing. Lures only. Is it worth taking a rod and some tackle? Is there shore fishing access there? I have been many times on my jet skis in the past but never fished it. Taking the Catalina Express boat this time.

jaggerbub
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Went on a Carnival cruise last month and I took a stroll over to the left side where the Catalina express docks. There are a bunch of big calicos and garibaldi swimming in the big kelp beds at the end of the dock. There was a guy catching the garibaldi's with frozen peas. If you do fish, I would bring some stuff to fish for the calicos. I was tempted to go rent a rod to fish after seeing how big they were. Lol. There were a bunch of atleast 5+ ponders. My wife would have killed me if i would have hunted down a rod so I decided not to. Good luck!

CrownTown
08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Chuck a Krocodile way past the kelp off of the pier you see when you first get off the boat. Let it sink (it is very deep) then reel it back slowly. I have caught bonita, calicos, macs and have had a few barracuda follow it in. Hope this helps

Master Baiter1
08-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks jaggerbub and CrownTown. If I cast past the kelp won't the lure snag and bust off bringing it back in with or without a fish? I was going to take a Curado E lowpro reel with 12lb mono and a MH action rod. Yes I was definitely going to pack a few Krocs, some leadheads with swimbaits and flukes. Some hard baits too but don't want to donate them to the kelp if you have to cast past it? Is the pier you speak of a public fishing pier?

jaggerbub
08-16-2013, 07:29 AM
If i remember correctly, the kelp is down pretty low. It's deep there. Just don't drop it down too far and work the suface and you shouldn't lose any lures. And it is a public pier. People fish off it. Im talking about the concrete platform to the left side of the catalina flyer as you are arriving to catalina. Not the pier that sells food/excursions on the right side. Theres fish there too, but not bigguns like at the one im talking about.

one long cast
08-16-2013, 10:32 AM
M/B 1 ask before you start to fish the area around the piers, some of the area's a preserve and unk. if posted no fishing. The Garibaldi is the state fish and the last time I checked it can not be possessed. If caught release it. Pick up some weedless lead heads and use some large grubs or AA hammers. If you can get on it, try the old Boy Scout camp grounds, not a long walk.

CrownTown
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
"If I cast past the kelp won't the lure snag and bust off bringing it back in with or without a fish?"

The kelp is only by the concrete platform. When you are almost done with your retrieve just reel in fast and keep your lure near the surface to prevent getting snagged. Past the kelp there are no snags

Master Baiter1
08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
If i remember correctly, the kelp is down pretty low. It's deep there. Just don't drop it down too far and work the suface and you shouldn't lose any lures. And it is a public pier. People fish off it. Im talking about the concrete platform to the left side of the catalina flyer as you are arriving to catalina. Not the pier that sells food/excursions on the right side. Theres fish there too, but not bigguns like at the one im talking about.
Great. I was envisioning the kelp coming all the way up to the surface but if not then working over it sounds fine.

M/B 1 ask before you start to fish the area around the piers, some of the area's a preserve and unk. if posted no fishing. The Garibaldi is the state fish and the last time I checked it can not be possessed. If caught release it. Pick up some weedless lead heads and use some large grubs or AA hammers. If you can get on it, try the old Boy Scout camp grounds, not a long walk.
I think I'm just going to stay on the piers. I really won't have too much time to fish since we will be doing activities with the family but maybe when we get off the boat and before boarding to come back to LB, I will get some tosses in? Wasn't planning on keeping anything I catch.

"If I cast past the kelp won't the lure snag and bust off bringing it back in with or without a fish?"

The kelp is only by the concrete platform. When you are almost done with your retrieve just reel in fast and keep your lure near the surface to prevent getting snagged. Past the kelp there are no snags

Sounds good. What if a hooked fish runs into the kelp bringing it in?

DockRat
08-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Bounce a swimbait/leadhead or dropshot a white/silver on the bottom for a halibut.
Toss some swimbaits way out by the rocks or kelp for Calicos if you go walking.
If you lose gear just tie on another one, lol. LCs too. Duct gear is fine.

The place with the most fish is the marine preserve (no fishing allowed) just south of Avalon Bay. No fishing allowed -- it's where the glass-bottom boats go. And they will nail you -- it's in plain view. But just outside the closed signs you can sometimes get some good bites.

DockRat
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Catalina Express is free on your birthday.

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/birthday_promo.php

Catalina Express is celebrating City of Avalon's 100th Anniversary by giving you a free ride to Catalina on your birthday.

Here's What You Do:

You must pre-register online!
Special Note: The Free Ride on Your Birthday Promotion has officially been extended for another year starting May 1, 2013 to April 30, 2014. To qualify, you must re-register on this page for the 2013-2014 Free Pass.
You will receive an email confirmation from which you will download and print your Free Birthday Pass. Make sure to add Catalina Express to your safe sender list.
Before traveling, make your boat reservations online or by calling 800-995-4386. Your birthday promotion code, found on the Free Pass, must be entered for online reservations or mentioned at time of booking by phone.
Bring your Free Pass and valid photo I.D. to the Catalina Express ticket window on your birthday and hop aboard the Catalina Express to Catalina Island!

Free Pass On Your Birthday - Details:

Valid for round trip travel on your birthday. Offer good through April 30, 2014.
You MUST begin travel on your actual birth date. You may return anytime within 30 days after your departure date.
You must provide proof of your birth date and valid identification. Valid IDs accepted are Driver's licenses, State or Government issued IDs or government issued passports. If you are under age 18 and do not have any of the above, either an original or notarized birth certificate must be shown. School IDs or children security IDs are not acceptable. Photocopies are not acceptable.
Your valid I.D. name must match Free Pass.
Valid for general seating only. Upgrade options available to the Commodore or Captain's Lounge, call for booking.
Subject to availability.
No refunds, no cash value, non transferable.
Frequently Asked Questions
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab113/littlethais/IMG_0039.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/littlethais/media/IMG_0039.jpg.html)
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb189/prima_corporation/events/block%20003%20minireunion%20summer%2007/departuretocatalina.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/prima_corporation/media/events/block%20003%20minireunion%20summer%2007/departuretocatalina.jpg.html)

Master Baiter1
08-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Well I had a total of 15 minutes to fish when we got off the boat while the group we were with was unloading and gathering to take the trek to the dive/snorkeling area. I make my way to the fishing side of the Mole and on the 2nd cast I hook up and feel a nice fish on. Of course it runs me deep into the kelp and luckily I had my 30lb braid spool on the and after some time of tugging and slowly pulling it broke free without losing the fish. Fighting it in and it hits another bunch of kelp. Same thing, I play and drag it through and I can now see color. Yes it's a decent size calico. Bring it up to the surface and the kids from the local pool's snorkeling excursion we were on are gathering around and all excited. I have to pull it up by the line and hope it doesn't shake or break off. Lip it and it's landed. One of the other parents wants to take it home to eat but it was a nice sized one and I felt better to release it. Take a pic and a stranger that was there and saw it wanted to take a pic with it too cause he said that it was a nice size for the pier and wanted to show his friends. I snap a pic with his phone and back it goes in the water. Tried for several more minutes but no more bites. Had to make the march to the other side of the bay to get the kids prepped and into their adventure. So in the end, it was worth taking a fishing rod even if it was for just 15 minutes of fishing. I was hoping to get some time in before the boat arrived for the return trip but we barley got back to the Mole for our departure.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk313/delfanilou1/Calico1_zps5a88fcf2.jpg

jaggerbub
08-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Awesome. Glad you were able to get on one in 15 mins. Good job on the release also.

Master Baiter1
08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm glad I took the 30# braid spool. I don't think 10-12# mono would have been able to get it out of the kelp.