PDA

View Full Version : Bucket list net.

DEVOREFLYER
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Another item off of the “Bucket List”, well almost. I met with Greg Madrigal of Sierra Nets on Tuesday of this week to discuss the commission of a custom fishing net for my bucket list. I viewed his portfolio of the many custom nets that he has made for others, simply beautiful work that is a lost art. After selecting the hoop style and size it was then the handle style and length and the best part was selecting the wood for the net building. Wow is all I can say about the selection of rare exotic wood Greg has in stock. With an artists eye Greg assisted me in picking out the right combination of wood color, grain and figure to put together the masterpiece. The net will have a Teardrop hoop of many alternating layers of Wenge and Curley Maple. The Handle will have a Beavertail butt with Spalted Maple Burl wood comprising 2/3’s of the handle starting at the hoop and Zircote the remainder and butt. Now the hard part is the 5 to 6 months for the net to be made. Waiting is always the hardest part, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

DEVOREFLYER
09-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Just received from Greg a pic of the handle in the rough stage with the laminations and glue up done for the handle. The color and grain is amazing and it does not have the finish applied or inlay work yet. The wait is killin' me.

5150fishn
09-30-2013, 02:02 PM
His nets are a piece of art. The wait would kill me too but once its in your hands it will all be worth it!

HawgZWylde
09-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Ah boy Dev that thing is going to be a beauty. Can't wait to see it...

DEVOREFLYER
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I will tell you that having a number of items custom built/commissioned during my life NO ONE is easier or a pleasure to work with than Greg. If you want a personalized gift for a loved one or a "Bucket List" item to pass on to your heirs Greg is the GO TO GUY!! And if it can be made of wood he can make it and he does more than just fishing nets.

casting call
09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Just received from Greg a pic of the handle in the rough stage with the laminations and glue up done for the handle. The color and grain is amazing and it does not have the finish applied or inlay work yet. The wait is killin' me.

Wow. Thats some nice grain. The right side looks almost like a nautical chart!