PDA

View Full Version : BONITA,WORTH IT TOO KEEP?

fishshep
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Going on a 3/4 day out of san diego tomorrow with five newbie rod renters when the reports been saying lots of bonita,not my target but if there is alot caught , is it decent to barbecue,and how is it best to season, prepare, or cook? .

valhalla_1_2000
09-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Not suitable for human consumption, but makes excellent catfood.

Funjunkie74
09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I couldn't disagree more!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070915/DSCN0615.jpg

You can pan fry, stir fry, BBQ, smoke, sushi, sashimi...SO GOOD!!

But like with anything, it's a matter of preference.

Check out my recipe for "Spicy Boney".
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=7415

Enjoy!

FJ74 :twisted:

Troutman65
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
If you bleed it right away and cook it in some butter with garlic and seasoned salt and pepper good. Had it on a cattle boat once. Also if you bleed it right away and take it home and smoke it on a smoker its good too.

Troutman65

ninjaturtle420
09-18-2007, 01:29 AM
i would DEFINITELY eat bonita very good textured meat. i personally season it with my "secret" cajun spices and throw it in the smoker. comes out amazing

justin

CAPT'N
09-18-2007, 06:25 AM
The most important thing is to bleed it RIGHT AWAY!

If you dont, the meat is nasty.

fishncatalina
09-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Great lobster bait......lobster season is right around the corner :wink:

San Felipe Bob
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
MMMMMMM
Smoked Bones..
Yummmmm Yummmmmm.
I need to get out there and get a smoker load full.

SFB

Roboworm99
09-19-2007, 03:38 PM
You dont need to bleed...if you filet just cut out the "blood Line" and your good...smoked is good, fan fried with some butter garlic..marinate in some teriyaki sauce even and then pan fry even better....enjoy

valhalla_1_2000
09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Fishncatalina is right, it makes really good lobster bait in addition to being a favorite of the neighborhood feral cats. Also, if you plan to do any rockfishing, it's makes fairly decent cut bait, as most of the less discriminating bottom dwellers will eat it.

Ambassadorhawg
09-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Besides bleeding them immediately, make sure that you cut the dark meat off before you cook it and cook it while it is fresh. Within 24 hours.

Also makes great jerky!

BBL2Baja
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I've done Baja style tacos with bonies before. Done right, it's good stuff.

Later,
Scott

SanDimasLMB
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Here we go again, huh Joe? :roll:

LA Smoker
09-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Mmmmmm... just finished my bonito from this pas weekend and it made my mouth wah-tah.

trollmiester
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Growing up in redondo all my life caught tons of bonita.I fillet them put them in tin foil with whatever spices and oils you like on top of a barbq. The fish come out pure white. I am laughing when people say non edible. I had a party with like 70 people and i cookedbonita only.All the people there said( Hey this is yellowtail right not some fish u caught on the rocks. I said sure it is it was caught 100 miles out in sea its is yelowfin tuna. To this daqy say say how good it tasted and i have never told them the truth that it was bonita. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Troutman65
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Growing up in redondo all my life caught tons of bonita.I fillet them put them in tin foil with whatever spices and oils you like on top of a barbq. The fish come out pure white. I am laughing when people say non edible. I had a party with like 70 people and i cookedbonita only.All the people there said( Hey this is yellowtail right not some fish u caught on the rocks. I said sure it is it was caught 100 miles out in sea its is yelowfin tuna. To this daqy say say how good it tasted and i have never told them the truth that it was bonita. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats a great story Trollmiester !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always say , It how its cooked .

TM65

Beeracuda211
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM

LOL, TROLLY WAS THAT REALLY EEL YOU GAVE ME AT YOUR HOUSE?? I WAS DYING LAUGHING WHEN YOU TOLD ME ABOUT THAT CHICK AND THAT POPSICLE STICK.... LOL!!!

B/C

valhalla_1_2000
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah, it's definitely how it's cooked, that's what they say about squirrel and possum.

DarkShadow
09-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, it's definitely how it's cooked, that's what they say about squirrel and possum.

I believe you can have two philosophies in this argument.

You can have Philosophy #1

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know ’cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy motherf**ker."

-- Jules, Pulp Fiction, 1994

http://www.aj.cz/img/smpulp.jpg

or

You can have Philosophy #2

“Hell, I’ll eat a pig’s a$s if you cook it right.”

--Chris Rock, Bring the Pain, 1996

http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Chris_Rock.jpg

Troutman65
09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
:rofl:

TM65

Fisher-of-Men
09-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Going on a 3/4 day out of san diego tomorrow with five newbie rod renters when the reports been saying lots of bonita,not my target but if there is alot caught , is it decent to barbecue,and how is it best to season, prepare, or cook? .

It makes good catfish bait. The Big Blues are begining to stir at Irvine. :wink:

Save 10 lbs or so with the heads on. Just cut them in half and Lip Hook the head portion.

Good Luck!

Fisher-of-Men