PDA

View Full Version : SWATn' at Pancakes

SP Dan
08-12-2013, 10:57 AM
:EyePop:Duration: Feet wet from 0515 to 1015 hrs.
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent.
Sun Rise: 0612 hrs, Sun Set: 1939 hrs. (The day lite hours are getting shorter).
Air: 61 deg, Water: 60 deg, cooling down slightly.
Surf: 1-2 ft, Swell: 1 ft -, Sec Intervals: 11 to 10
Conditions: basically flat (with a few rouge waves thrown in the mix), clear and clean, almost salad free.
Tides: 0515 hrs OGT 1.1 ft, 0636 hrs LT 0.8 ft, 0730 hrs ICT 1.1 ft, 0930 hrs ICT 2.6 ft, 1306 hrs HT 4.7 ft.
Isolunar Forecast: Minor Period: 0903 to 1033 hrs. :BFish::BFish::BFish::BFish:
Assault Tactic: LC 110 MS Anchovy
Gear: Saint Croix Avid 9'-6" 8-17 lb MF, Van Staal VS-100G reel with 55 lb 8-carrier braided Diawa Samurai line. My back up (same set-up) had 20 lb Izor XXX mono on the reel.
AO (Area of Operation): LA County

Stepped into the salt at 0515 and it was pitch dark, I couldn't see my lure until 0550 hrs.
For the first forty-five minutes .... nothing ... except for the things that would bump :EyePop: against my legs in the darkness!
Then at exactly 0600 hrs ...... blam! .... flat fish on! And then nothing again for another hour until exactly 0700 hrs ...... blam! .... flat fish on again!
From 0700 hrs until 0900 hrs ... my lure was being assaulted either on on the surface during the cast or on the retrieve! :EyePop: I thought to my self ... this doesn't happen very often and I was having a :LOL: blast!

I have a "The one that got away" story ......
I had this one particular hit that bent my rod in a good way, it felt super heavy and it had the head shakes and line ripping going-on just like a nice legal Hali and so I set the hook firmly (not too hard) and eased back the drag set just to let it run and tire it's self out after feeling it had already pealed enough line off of my reel .... so I thought! Also at that same moment I had this huge rouge wave coming right at me, it was way-over my head and the fish was still peeling the line off!
I had to quickly decide in a split-second whether I should run for the beach (that was out of the equation!), or if I could clear the top of the wave or just stand-fast and dive below it .... adsorbing it's pounding crash :EyePop:! I choose to hurry out and to meet the wave face-to face and to take the leap of faith just as it began to curl.............. going up I could still feel the line tension and the head shakes (YES!!) but on the way back down off the wave and as my feet landed back on the ocean floor .... :Rolls Eyes: my lure unbuttoned!!!!!! A few cranks on my reel and nothing! It was gone!! We've all had that happen at one time or another I'm sure! Oh well ...... back to catching the next fish! :LOL: Thank you for all of the excitement Poseidon!!

Bottom Line: Farmed approx 6-8 head shaking line ripping strikes and beached (9) nine short Hali's, the largest being 15 1/2".
I added 4 more points for to the team cause ..... Yahooooo!!

Well .... "That all folks!" No baby pictures ...... all infants were CPR'd quickly and most were released while in the water with a shake of my pliers!

I did have a down side to my session .... when I arrived back to my vehicle I saw that the reel (crank) handle was missing :Angry:! I phoned Van Staal this afternoon and purchased another one at a tune of $118.00 shipped. :EyePop: What was I going to do ..... my reel needs a crank handle ....... :Explode: RIGHT!

PS .... I did receive a text from our Commander telling me that he was just South of my AO and that he did quite well .... his story to tail!

Thanx for taking the time to check out my fish report. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

skunked4life
08-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey Danimal!

Is the 4 point cap on short butts a new rule? Anyways, you did your part for the month. Relax now, the pressure is off. I need to take the wisdom and skills you taught me and go up my game a little next weekend. Thanks for being my mentor obi wan!

Ken

PONTOON
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I love reading your reports Brother Dan! :Cool:

I'm going to have to say a nine short halibut day is pretty darn good. I would have liked a to hear you got the one that got away but that's what keeps us all coming back. You'll get 'em next time Dan.:Thumbs Up:

Rooster
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Im with you Pontoon, Always enjoy Dan's reports. Action packed ... Well done :Thumbs Up:

Wingnut
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Brother Dan... I was thinking a lot about you today, and not in a bromantic way. :Envious:
If you need anything, I'm a phone call away my friend... :Cool:
I'm glad that you had a good session, I was wondering all morning why you haven't hopped over that hill yet... :LOL:
Bummer about the big lost Hali, Poseidon will give you another shot when you least expect it. :Big Grin:
I'll be on the look out for a nice shiny reel handle the next time I'm in that A.O. :Wink:

skunked4life
08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Brother Dan... I was thinking a lot about you today, and not in a bromantic way. :Envious:
I'm glad that you had a good session, I was wondering all morning why you haven't hopped over that hill yet... :LOL:
Bummer about the big lost Hali, Poseidon will give you another shot when you least expect it. :Big Grin:
I'll be on the look out for a nice shiny reel handle the next time I'm in that A.O. :Wink:

Please also look out for my candy sardine lc near the boiler rocks nearest the wall. Its stuck on ghe opposite side of one of the middle rocks out there! :Sad:

Wingnut
08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey Danimal!

Is the 4 point cap on short butts a new rule?
Ken

Team Butt Heads Captain... you need to read your S.W.A.T. memos more carefully, lol :LOL:

skunked4life
08-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Team Butt Heads Captain... you need to read your S.W.A.T. memos more carefully, lol :LOL:

That's "captain butt head" to you sir!

bachiboy
08-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Well done there brother Dan! That's a great outing in my book even with the heartbreaker. Glad to hear you made it out there this weekend. I'm back to my "once a week if I'm lucky" schedule, but some unfortunate (or fortunate, can't figure that out yet) circumstances with work may allow some weekday sessions soon. Hope to see you out there on the grounds soon!

Congrats on a great day!
Don

manuel149
08-13-2013, 05:02 AM
WTG Dan!! You are a pancake magnet. You will land that big one next time.

DockRat
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
. my lure was being assaulted either on on the surface during the cast or on the retrieve! :EyePop: I thought to my self ... this doesn't happen very often and I was having a :LOL: blast!

Bottom Line: Farmed approx 6-8 head shaking line ripping strikes and beached (9) nine short Hali's, the largest being 15 1/2". I added 4 more points for to the team cause.

Well .... "That all folks!" No baby pictures ...... all infants were CPR'd quickly and most were released while in the water with a shake of my pliers!

Sounds like you had a blast ! Bummer on the unhooked ones. Thanks for not taking pics of all the juvi's, class act to unhook and not worry about size and pics of juvi hali's.

Thanks Dan
DR

SP Dan
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey Danimal!

Is the 4 point cap on short butts a new rule? Anyways, you did your part for the month. Relax now, the pressure is off. I need to take the wisdom and skills you taught me and go up my game a little next weekend. Thanks for being my mentor obi wan!

Ken

Hi ya Brotha Ken'

You've been great to fish with also :Beer Toast: Ken! I'm glade that we are on the same team this month!

I still remember this past weekend quite well when you had gotten busy with beaching some nice fish ..... you waved me over and really insisted that I start throwing my lure at the same exact spot that you pulled all of your fish out of! I don't know whether it was your Zen mind twist head game or your sympathy card for the old man ..... but I did notice that you didn't offer it up until you had stepped out of the sweet spot :LOL: Ha ha ha!.... Needless to say ..... fishing behind a talented angler like yourself is like sitting in a Dentist's chair ....... :EyePop: after the Dentist has already dentally extracted all of the residing teeth (metaphor for fish) and worked all of the cavities ..... there was nothing left .... they were all gone! :LOL:: Kapuut!! THANK BUDDY! Ha ha ha!

That's why I had to get out there ahead of you Sir ....... just to be able to hunt down and beach my skunk buster of the right kind .... before another of the enemy was to fall prey to your Dentist chair techniques! Ha ha ha!!

Ken ..... you are a lot of fun to fish with and I hope that many others will be able to say the same! :Thumbs Up:

I love reading your reports Brother Dan! :Cool:

I'm going to have to say a nine short halibut day is pretty darn good. I would have liked a to hear you got the one that got away but that's what keeps us all coming back. You'll get 'em next time Dan.:Thumbs Up:

Hi Brotha Terry,

The tides are looking pretty sweet this week .... you ought to call in and tell the boss that you are sick! :LOL: Ha ha ha!
Let me know if you are available this Sat and we'll go and find them together!
Thanx for responding to my report ..... Boss! :Cool:

Im with you Pontoon, Always enjoy Dan's reports. Action packed ... Well done :Thumbs Up:

Thanx Rooster,

I appreciate that you took the time to respond to my report!
I hope to meet up with you at HG-5!

Thanx "Commander"!

I thought about making the trek over "Heart Attack Summit" but the fish bite was so unusually good for me at my present AO that .... well I really didn't want to leave it and besides ..... Ol' "Snake Bite Hoover" almost got his hand snake bit :EyePop: just the other day while making the trek on that very path!

There will be a modest $ reward for the return of my lost Van Staal VS-100G reel handle! Just PM me!

Thanx Brotha Arthur for always being there for my Rhonda and for the your bright guiding light!

I'll see you at the up coming HG-5 Brotha!

SP Dan <"))>< "Danimal ..... The Grasshopper"!

Well done there brother Dan! That's a great outing in my book even with the heartbreaker. Glad to hear you made it out there this weekend. I'm back to my "once a week if I'm lucky" schedule, but some unfortunate (or fortunate, can't figure that out yet) circumstances with work may allow some weekday sessions soon. Hope to see you out there on the grounds soon!

Congrats on a great day!
Don

Hi Brotha Don,

I don't quite know how to find the words to your (unfortunate or fortunate) circumstances with work but I'm certain that when the dust settles .... that things well be the way that they were always meant to be! My positive arch of energy is now approaching you and your loved ones! I hope for nothing less than the very best of out comes for you!

If circumstances go in the direction that you can fish on the weekends .... please ....let's hook it up and have some fun fishing together! :Cool:

I'll see you at the up coming HG-5 Brotha!

WTG Dan!! You are a pancake magnet. You will land that big one next time.

Hi ya Manuel,

MAN! ...... you can say that again!! Dan the magnet! :LOL: Ha ha ha!
In the past at a known nursery, the pancakes would attack my drop shot set up all day long and never touch my lure but on this particular day .... they went after my LC 110 in the "Poseidon Salt Shaker" with a vengeance! Go figure! This has never happened for me at this AO ever before!

Really looking forward to hooking up with you and your family at the HG-5 Event in September! :Cool:
I've been reading your fish reports and can tell that you are getting your "RINGER" Marrisa all primed up and ready to go! Best of luck to you and yours!

Sounds like you had a blast ! Bummer on the unhooked ones. Thanks for not taking pics of all the juvi's, class act to unhook and not worry about size and pics of juvi hali's.

Thanks Dan
DR

Thanx Martin,

UN-necessary harm and cruelty to the Juvenal Hali's and any other of Poseidon's marine creatures is what we strive to avoid here on FNN.
I believe that we are actually making a positive difference on how people handle their catches!
Granted .... a lot of pic's are taken that probably should not have been! But on the other hand if I had to pick between two :Twisted: evils ... I would choose that pictures be taken :Wink: and not the fish! At least in the water .... the fish have a better chance of survival!

Keep your INTEL coming!

I hope see you at the up coming HG-5 DR! I would like to put a name with your face! :Cool:

fishshep
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Congrats. on your nice session :Smile:

It,s all good :Wink:

Jaysuuun
08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Slowly but surely! Way to crank it out Dan! Sorry to hear bout the lost fish. That must have been a heartbreaker. I think you made the right choice going head on with that wave. In my experience with rogue waves, it's always ended in a disaster when I try to run or turn away from it.

SP Dan
08-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Congrats. on your nice session :Smile:

It,s all good :Wink:

Thanx fishshep!

Slowly but surely! Way to crank it out Dan! Sorry to hear bout the lost fish. That must have been a heartbreaker. I think you made the right choice going head on with that wave. In my experience with rogue waves, it's always ended in a disaster when I try to run or turn away from it.

Hi ya Jason,

How are you doing out there Brotha? I miss your ... face!
I know that the other team is well ahead of my team but that won't stop me from doing what it is that I enjoy doing to relax..... and that is fishing!
Fish come and go but I'm here for the long haul Brotha!

Thanx for taking the time to respond to my fish report Jason!

SP Dan <"))>< "the Danimal"!