PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Sunday-08-11-13 Do Do's and Limits of Tails!

Tunaslam
08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I went fishing Sunday, 8-11-13, on Tony's spiffy 26' Wellcraft, “Scorpio". I met Tony, his son Alex and Alex’s wife Racal at his house in Diamond Bar at 8:30 pm Saturday evening. We loaded our gear on the boat and were off to Dana Landing in Mission Bay by 9pm. It has been several years since I fished with Alex and Tony, so it was nice to get reacquainted and first time meeting Racal, a recent bride. It always seemed like our schedules just didn’t match up each time I got an invite, a bummer for sure. Alex works every Saturday and they like to go out during the week, yet it never seemed to be on a Wednesday when I could get off?

Arrived at Dana Landing at around 11:30 pm and launched by midnight. We stopped at EB for one and a half scoops of hoss, but healthy Sardines, virtually none died all day. We cleared the Harbor at 12:20am. The 1 foot seas contained a slight swell, and the wind was at about 8 knots. Visibility was excellent and the skies were loaded with stars!

We cruised out past North Coronado Islands at 9-10 knots to conserve fuel. Our starting destination being east of the Hidden Bank, or the Tuna Pens if they were within our range? I relieved Alex from driving at 5am where we were still some 13 miles northeast of the bank. Expecting grey light at 5:45am, our timing appeared to be good for putting in the trollers at that time north of the bank, where we were some 7 miles northeast.

By 6:30 am it was already capping, and the nice 1 to foot seas were 2 to 3 building to 3 to 4. The Scorpio has a Tuna Tower and Alex was up top scanning for the magic bush while I drove. It wasn’t long before Alex hollered Kelp Paddy at 9 O’clock. It was a dandy size with one bird on it. Trolled by it for nada, reeled in the trollers and threw baits. There were instant hook ups for Tony, Alex and myself. My line was screaming toward the bow and the Dorado made a nice jump and spit the hook. Tony also lost his, and Alex had handed off his Do Do to Racal. I tossed another Sardine and it was immediately inhaled. Oh wow another great jump and this time I had a solid hook up!

Our two Do Do’s played musical chairs, in and out, around the corner and back. Racal did a great job of following her fish, as weaved over and under each other. Alex sunk the gaff into Racal’s Dorado, and then mine! High fives all around! Washed down the deck and headed back up to the kelp where another boat had already arrived and began fishing. They had several hook ups going. We set back up on the other side and all four of us were bit. I landed a 6-7 pound Yellowtail, as did Alex. Tony and Racal lost theirs.

Pictures of myself and Racal with Dorado:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/bth_100_2896680x510_zps1eeb325b.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/bth_100_2895680x510_zps22a7046f.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/bth_100_2894680x510_zpsd738cc83.jpg

The small Yellowtail constantly were short biting, having difficulty swallowing the larger Sardines. I think we all got bit several more times, but none were hooked. Moved back to the paddy and this time the other boat was right on top of it? No more bites and we moved on to find another paddy. Guys don’t get right on a Paddy, stay at least casting distance away? The fish will come off the paddy to eat.

We worked our way 3 miles south of the Hidden and then turned northwest until Alex spotted another Kelp Paddy 1.5 miles northwest of the high spot. All baits in the water were bit, however several came unbuttoned. Tony landed his first Yellowtail, so did Racal and I put #2 and #3 on the deck, with the last one being about 8 pounds. Moved back up on the paddy and landed several more until the bite died, with many short bites!

It was now 10:30 am, and the radio talk was mostly the same, paddies with small Yellowtail, some Do Do’s and one group that landed two Bluefin Tuna off a Kelp Paddy along with Tails and Do Do’s. We heard the Tuna Pens were beyond sixty miles and they were not yielding Tuna? We also heard the 1010 was dead and the south of the 425 had paddies with fish on them and a little action on the 371.

Just before noon Alex spotted a real nice sized paddy with two birds on it. We decided not to troll by and reeled in the trollers, talk about useless no bites for seven hours on the troll? This paddy was loaded and it was game on for the Yellowtail. I caught #4 and 5 real quick and switched to iron so I could release them easier. It was instant bite on the iron. Everyone caught their limits and we left them biting.

At 2:30 pm we pulled in the trollers and kicked it up for home, still looking for paddies. We were some 43 miles from port. Stopped on one more kelp paddy that was empty, although ahead of us was a Sporty and they had probably just hit it?

Slowed down at the Point to clean fish and were on the trailer at 6:30 pm. Back in Diamond Bar at 9pm, a full 24 hour trip.

Thanks a bunch Tony and Alex, a grand pleasure to fish with you again, hoping our next trip together will be real soon! Nice to meet Alex’s lovely wife Racal, quite a fishing lady!

Hook up! Cory

murrieta angler
08-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Nice job getting limits for the day.
Too bad some PB'ers have to get right on top of a paddy, but at least you were able to find others, holding fish.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

DockRat
08-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Beutiful DoDo pics Cory, thanks for the report.
DR

Hardcor
08-14-2013, 12:12 PM
The patties with birds on them ! That's exciting ! Nice report Cory !

Corey