PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 seaforth landing 8/19/2013

christainmetalhead909
08-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Just seeing if anyone else is planning to be on trip??? This is my first overnight trip and I'm so excited haha. Made the reservation already, wish me luck.

casting call
08-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Good luck out there! Looking forward to your report!

christainmetalhead909
08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Good luck out there! Looking forward to your report!

thanks man!!!

LGHT
08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Good luck. I do several 2-3 day trips a year. What type of gear are you using and what boat are you going out on? The key to the tuna is get the bait that you can't catch in the tank, toss it as far as possible and keep the pressure on it and keep your line tight. If it tries to swim back to SD you should get bit! If you can get it out about 100+ yards that's your best chance of getting a tuna!

christainmetalhead909
08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm going with a 25, 30, and a 40 pound set up single speed reels. I am going out on the aztec. Thanks for the info!!! I appreciate it!!! I'll be going out alone so all the info I can retain will help a lot haha

Good luck. I do several 2-3 day trips a year. What type of gear are you using and what boat are you going out on? The key to the tuna is get the bait that you can't catch in the tank, toss it as far as possible and keep the pressure on it and keep your line tight. If it tries to swim back to SD you should get bit! If you can get it out about 100+ yards that's your best chance of getting a tuna!

bassmeister
08-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Make sure to cover several size's of Fluorocarbon for leaders. I usually take 20,25,30,40, and 60 for trolling but not necessary like the lighter stuff for soaking bait. I've been on a couple of trips where the fluoro made all the difference. Sometimes even ringed hooks can make a bit of difference, I haven't been out this year (work is slow) but hope to make at least one trip or two before the bite ends. Have a safe trip and kill some tuna :)

christainmetalhead909
08-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info Bas!!! I have the ring hooks even though I hate the price haha, I'm going out today to get new spectra put on my reels and pick up fluorocarbon ill have to get some of each size line!!! thanks again for the info!

Make sure to cover several size's of Fluorocarbon for leaders. I usually take 20,25,30,40, and 60 for trolling but not necessary like the lighter stuff for soaking bait. I've been on a couple of trips where the fluoro made all the difference. Sometimes even ringed hooks can make a bit of difference, I haven't been out this year (work is slow) but hope to make at least one trip or two before the bite ends. Have a safe trip and kill some tuna :)

midgettosser1
08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Recently did an overnighter on the Aztec, and figured I'd share my experience.

The boat didnt have the best numbers, but I managed 4 nice BFT.

Guys at the landing said circle hooks were the way to go... but once on the boat, the crew was saying size 2 J hooks were the way to go. I came prepared with both. Caught my 3 bait fish on the sz 2 J hooks, butt-hooked. The boat seemed to have plenty of J hooks on board for those that didnt have their own.

Also caught a jig fish on a blue/chrome tady 9. Hooked one on a fast retrieve, but that one came unbuttoned. On the very next cast with the jig, a fish took it on the drop. Managed to land that one.

All my fish were on 30lb fluoro. Had 20 and 40 with me as well. Hooked one on the 20lb but my spectra to fluoro connection snapped. That particular knot was a double uni connection, which has never failed me before on the lighter setups. But these were nicer grade fish, and I think the knot strength for the double uni just wasnt up to par. For my 30 and 40 lb leader connections I used a Bob Sands knot. Hung 4 nice fish on the 30lb with that knot. Definitely my new connection of choice.

Make sure if you are going straight spectra to fluoro, that you use a long leader. I've had terrible results in the past with 4ft leaders connected straight to spectra, while everyone around me was hammering tuna. Plus, if you do catch a fish on a short leader and the deckhand snaps the hook off, your leader will just get shorter and shorter. On the recent trip I used roughly 20ft of leader. Worked like a charm. I didnt limit out (though I had the opportunity... lost 1 fish to that broken double uni knot, 1 bite off after a long fight, 1 pulled hook with a circle hook, and 1 lost jig fish), but I was the runner up as hot-stick for the boat.

bassmeister
08-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Go with as long a leader you are comfortable with, I even put several yards so I don't have to make a new spectra to leader tie up unless things go real bad. I have been using a triple surgeons knot ( easier for me to tie with my bad eyesight) with pretty good results and have heard of the bob sands knot being very good but have not tried that yet.

murrieta angler
08-13-2013, 06:55 PM
1 tip,
Try to be the first to have your bait in the water when the trolling rods start to sing.
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

christainmetalhead909
08-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the info!!! I how long of a leader is good from the spectra to fluorocarbon???

Recently did an overnighter on the Aztec, and figured I'd share my experience.

The boat didnt have the best numbers, but I managed 4 nice BFT.

Guys at the landing said circle hooks were the way to go... but once on the boat, the crew was saying size 2 J hooks were the way to go. I came prepared with both. Caught my 3 bait fish on the sz 2 J hooks, butt-hooked. The boat seemed to have plenty of J hooks on board for those that didnt have their own.

Also caught a jig fish on a blue/chrome tady 9. Hooked one on a fast retrieve, but that one came unbuttoned. On the very next cast with the jig, a fish took it on the drop. Managed to land that one.

All my fish were on 30lb fluoro. Had 20 and 40 with me as well. Hooked one on the 20lb but my spectra to fluoro connection snapped. That particular knot was a double uni connection, which has never failed me before on the lighter setups. But these were nicer grade fish, and I think the knot strength for the double uni just wasnt up to par. For my 30 and 40 lb leader connections I used a Bob Sands knot. Hung 4 nice fish on the 30lb with that knot. Definitely my new connection of choice.

Make sure if you are going straight spectra to fluoro, that you use a long leader. I've had terrible results in the past with 4ft leaders connected straight to spectra, while everyone around me was hammering tuna. Plus, if you do catch a fish on a short leader and the deckhand snaps the hook off, your leader will just get shorter and shorter. On the recent trip I used roughly 20ft of leader. Worked like a charm. I didnt limit out (though I had the opportunity... lost 1 fish to that broken double uni knot, 1 bite off after a long fight, 1 pulled hook with a circle hook, and 1 lost jig fish), but I was the runner up as hot-stick for the boat.

christainmetalhead909
08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks!!! I always try to be the first one out at any stop especially at the paddies!!!

1 tip,
Try to be the first to have your bait in the water when the trolling rods start to sing.
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

bassmeister
08-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the info!!! I how long of a leader is good from the spectra to fluorocarbon???

go at least 10 feet but 20 would be better for multiple re-ties.

christainmetalhead909
08-13-2013, 10:35 PM
sounds good!!! thanks for the heads up on the re ties!

go at least 10 feet but 20 would be better for multiple re-ties.

shioda
08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Going on the Aztec the 21st. Farmer's Almanac says that will be the best week for fishing in August, so good luck to us. Anyone who has fished the boat know how big the tackle rack is? I have a small box that holds 4 plano trays and a large one that is 18 inches tall. Prefer to take the large tackle box if it will fit because I can keep an extra reel and spool of line in it.

midgettosser1
08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Going on the Aztec the 21st. Farmer's Almanac says that will be the best week for fishing in August, so good luck to us. Anyone who has fished the boat know how big the tackle rack is? I have a small box that holds 4 plano trays and a large one that is 18 inches tall. Prefer to take the large tackle box if it will fit because I can keep an extra reel and spool of line in it.

On my trip we lucked out and only had 17 people on board, so there was tons of room. If you have a full limited load (24) or regular load (28 I think), I could see there being some space issue.
I don't recall the rack shelves being too tall, so I'd stick with the 4 tray box, then throw your extra reel and line in your duffle or backpack and leave it on your bunk.

LGHT
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Guys at the landing said circle hooks were the way to go... but once on the boat, the crew was saying size 2 J hooks were the way to go. I came prepared with both. Caught my 3 bait fish on the sz 2 J hooks, butt-hooked.

I've been told the same thing and came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that circles work correctly only if you plan on nose hooking the dine. If you try and butt hook it with a circle it will leave a much bigger hole and it's pretty hard to keep the dine from falling off the hook.