PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Mammoth Lakes

DJM86
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

My friend and I will be headed up for our annual fall trip toward the end of Sept. We will be camping at East Fork Campground near Rockcreek Lake. We wanted to rent a boat all day at one of the Mammoth Lakes. I read that Alper trout will be stocked in the Mammoth Lakes the week before we get up there.

Any advice on which one of the Mammoth Lakes would be best for an all day boat rental to potentially get into some Alpers? I haven't really fished the Mammoth Lakes too much before. Or if anyone has some advice on any other Lake in the region we could get a boat would be great too.

Thanks in advance!

fishrbouy
09-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't know if I would rent a boat for the whole day. Go half day and if
you guys are scoring switch to full.

Lakes to hit would be mamie, mary, twin.
try by the waterfall at twin. Stay back apx 30-40yds. Power eggs with half a crawler have worked good. throw some standard lures at the same time and you should score.

mary -work the mouth of the small marina , troll, bait, lures all will work at differant times. also there is a good drop off by the larger marina too.

mamie - work the area to the right of the small marina in front of the parking area. also, the area in front of drainage can be very good.

the guys at rick's are great along with performance anglers to get some
very good local knowledge.

have a great trip........ :)

DJM86
09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply and the great info. I'll be checking the easternsierrabentrod.com and performace anglers fish reports before I go.

Thanks again

Rawkon
09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
i fish twin lakes alot. gold and red thomas boyant, no bigger then 4lb test.
2 hot spots on the twin lakes basin. about half in between the marina and waterfall is a huge deep hole. and also fish the weed line.

second spot in mid twin on the east side of the lake (main road in and out side)

Ive caught a 7.7lb alper in the upper lake and a 5 or 6 lb brown in the mid lake.

excellent lake.

Power worms do really well, and other trout lures can produce well also. if things are hot or you want to experiement. go to Ricks in mammoth and grab a few black, yellow, and maroon "twin lakes specials" with the bead head. they are the premier fly for that lake. you can fish that fly with a bobber and long leader. just slowly real it in and wammo it can produce all day.
dont bother fishing from shore on twin lakes grab a rental boat.

the other lakes you wanna fish the inlets where the water is moving. mamie is usually slow and windy.
goerge and mary are huge and can be hard to fish but also produce big fish.

Lots of bears in that area so watch your stuff especially if your on shore. Ive seen bears running along the shore banks scaring fishermen from there igloo boxes a few times.
let me know if you need clarification or more info

heres a shot of my big brown on the opener this year on mid twin.
http://www.offroadworld.net/gallery/Rawkon/153527.jpg