PDA

View Full Version : Shovel nose...( and other stuff)

hbstriker
04-25-2007, 09:56 PM
guitar fish?, Is there a season for them? Haven't really seen or heard of one caught lately. At granny's surf city rumble there was one caught. I saw one today when paddling out, at about 2pm. Pretty big, my body board is 41", and this one was at least that long. I saw two triangular shapes sticking up out of the sand, and it took off as I got near. Chased(followed) it for about 5 seconds before I lost sight of it, all in about 2 feet of water. A good sign?? Still no sand crabs where i surf though. The last few days of surfing though, I noticed that the big south swell that rocked us tore a deep channel along the beach, from the longshore current. Pretty goood "structure" for fishing, noticed a quite a few croaker type fishes hanging out. Alot of young baby fish swiimming around too on the surface, and the water has gone from brown to a better shade of blue. I love spring time!!! Summer will be even better.

Cangler
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Yep ... Summer rocks here ....i love it ...and im going to graduate from BSP to Corbina and Shovel Noses !

Fisherman57
04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I caught a couple smaller SNGF a few weeks ago near Malibu....... they're there......

and you're totally correct, there's some nice structure right now and there is some good deep inshore troughs out there holding fish.

BUT......the 'beans" will be in town soon with the arrival of crab beds on the beach....... last time out I spotted a few crab beds......

I love targeting Corbina as they are one nice fight in the surf........ incredible eyesight, I know some guys that fish them squating down, wearing beach colored clothing (beige shorts, even blue shirts to match the blue skies :roll: )...... etc. just so they stay in a "stealth" mode when they're fishing for em'.

I've caught SNGF almost throughout the year.. not sure if thats just my dumb luck, but throw a nice chunk of squid out and let'er sit!

uandme
04-26-2007, 04:25 PM
sngf are pretty much all year round. but their prime season is summer time to early fall. they attack anything and everything they feel like. i've caught them on grubs, morf, LCs, krocs, sandworms, live lugworms, whole squid, squid strips, shrimp, chovies, and smelt.

a lot of time when they attack, they will do a tail whip and your hook will be caught on their back tailfins. it makes landing these brutes a lot harder since they tend to run straight out into the open water. all you can do and want to do is keep your rod tip high, keep a constant pressure on the rod and fish, and reel in straight when the fish stops running. when it gets close to shore, loosen up the drag a little and time the wave to help you push the fish onto the sand. the last thing you'd want to do is pump and reel the fish then try to land it while the waves are going out.

i remember the amount of sngf everyone caught at halijedi's sngf derby on 6# test last year. lots of fish were over 30" and i landed 2 over 40" on cut chovie and squid strips. it took about 20 mins to land those bigger models but it's a whole lot of fun! my arms were SORE the day after though.

:D
pm me if you want to know THE hot spot for sngf.

Troutman65
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes its nice until the red tide comes in.