QUICK FACTS
Date fished: August 9, 2013
Driving time: 25 minutes
Other fisherman: 10-12
Poles down @ 1:00pm
Poles up @ 4:45pm
Fish caught: 5

SUMMARY OF EVENTS:
I started off the morning trying my hand at surf fishing at Thornhill-Broome. After 3 hours of nothing, just a couple of bites, I figured I'd head to the pier to try my luck there. After getting to the pier, I fished for about an hour with only a few bites, but nothing would hook up. Then I decided to try a Sibiki and get some bait fish to throw on my heavier rod. I immediately hooked up a couple of little ones, and put them on the heavier pole. Then I figured I would try to get one more... put on some new squid strips on the Sabiki and dropped the line. Within seconds, my rod bent in half. I have never seen a hit like that before. I started reeling in and ended up landing this guy. The picture is sort of deceiving because his tail actually goes downward, but he was like 14-15" long. I don't even know what he was, but he was the biggest fish I've caught in years.

THE RESULTS:
I once again got skunked surf fishing... that makes 3x out and still not one fish landed. Starting to bum me out! I don't really care for Port Hueneme Pier too much, but it was close and I figured it'd maximize my time fishing instead of driving to Ventura or Malibu. Stoked about the large fish, but I will try to avoid this pier if I can.

PHOTOS:
http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/HuenemePier_08-09-2013_01.jpg

BALLERONBUDGET
08-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Jacksmelt....fun to catch but its discard fish... not even suitable for bait..or bloody enuff to chum for sumthng lrgr...

ErikAllen17
08-09-2013, 10:16 PM
He was released to fight another day... I only fish to see the rod bend. If I were to catch a legal halibut, I might keep it and cook it up. But everything else goes back in the ocean.

sshaffr812
08-09-2013, 11:04 PM
My favorite part of saltwater fishing is that you often find yourself wondering what is on the end of your line. Regardless of what you bring in, I agree the fight is the what fisherman love. I'm glad that fish reignited your flame. Congrats!

bachiboy
08-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Don't get too discouraged about the skunks in the surf. It happens to all of us. It'll come, just keep trying. Make sure your going at optimal times/conditions...although family schedules don't always coincide with that.:Rolls Eyes: Also, look for rips, trenches and holes in the surf. Not always easy to spot but make a HUGE difference on whether you get bit or not. Try coming out to HG5 if you haven't already registered. Great family event and lots of people there who help you out with the surf fishing.:Wink:

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

murrieta angler
08-11-2013, 09:58 AM
The key to catching fish, is fishing.
Try putting on a C-rig and hit the surf.
When I was up that way, I saw plenty of perch holes by that pier.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

ErikAllen17
08-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm already signed up for HG5... can't wait!

As far as fishing, I have 4 kids, but still manage to get out 1-2 days a week.

Regarding perch holes... I have no clue what I'm looking for. I almost always fish with a Carolina Rig setup and just throw and reel in. Don't know what to look for, so I don't know where to throw other than "out".

murrieta angler
08-11-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm already signed up for HG5... can't wait!

As far as fishing, I have 4 kids, but still manage to get out 1-2 days a week.

Regarding perch holes... I have no clue what I'm looking for. I almost always fish with a Carolina Rig setup and just throw and reel in. Don't know what to look for, so I don't know where to throw other than "out".

You'll learn at HG5...:Wink:
Robert
<><