PDA

View Full Version : First time out.

Fishin4runner
08-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry not much to report. Got a big skunk today for my first time ever trolling out on a lake. Got on the water later then I wanted too and quickly learned that I need heavier U-rigs and jigs as I found lots of fish but I don't think I was trolling deep enough to get to them. Even though I skunked, today was not a total loss. I met and introduced myself to the legend T/O and it was great meeting you Bob. I also figured out how to make my rigs run straight and not spin out. I know this isn't much of a report but at the moment I am going through the learning curve and I will have some better reports in the near future.

fishinone
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing. How can we recognize you at the lake? What kind of boat do you have.

I think that your U-rigs might be fine. The light ones run about 1 ft down for every 10 foot of line you put out, out to about 150 ft back. After that they only go down to about 18 foot at 210 ft back. That's assuming that you go 3 1/2 to 4 MPH.

You might need to go closer to shore. The striper use the structure to help them ambush the shad.

At first you'll get hung up a lot. Go straight back the way that you came. When you get near the rig, give it a little slack, go past it, then pull it in the opposite direction that you pulled it in, in.

If you aren't sure of the structure watch you fish finder and if you see the structure come up higher than your U-rigs, make a hard turn straight out to deep water. With a little luck and your rigs back 120 ft, they'll miss that structure completely.

Good Luck out there!

Fishin4runner
08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. The rigs I got are the 7-wire frenzy baits sniper. I got a 14-foot aluminum gregor with a 25 hp Yamaha and a tackle Warehouse sicker on the back. I will be launching with a green 1990 4runner. The fish finder said I was running between 2 and 2 1/2 mph. from your advice maybe I was running a little slow. I was running may 75-100 yards from the bank. Next time I will cut that down to 25-50 yards from the bank. I can't wait to catch my first striper on the troll.

fishinone
08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
It sounds to me like you might gain a lot by going out for a day with TroutOnly. His add is on this page. You would learn so much in a day of fishing with him, I can't even describe it.

Check out StriperCandy.com, that's all good stuff.

Try to run the rigs in 15 to 30 ft deep water, of course you can't keep them there all of the time.

dk4885
08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
It sounds to me like you might gain a lot by going out for a day with TroutOnly. His add is on this page. You would learn so much in a day of fishing with him, I can't even describe it.

Check out StriperCandy.com, that's all good stuff.

Try to run the rigs in 15 to 30 ft deep water, of course you can't keep them there all of the time.

Great advise. I took a trip with bob last year and every since I slay stripers every trip. Plus made a good friend at same time. We got 44 yesterday compared to you 0 the cost of going with bob is worth shorting the cost of all the learning curve trips you will make.

TroutOnly
08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
IT WAS NICE MEETING YOU F/4/R ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,