PDA

View Full Version : dvl 8/7

Matt_Magnone
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
hit the lake up today. water is getting stupid clear in some areas. never did turn the graphs on today so i cant tell you what the water temp was. started the day off throwing swimmers for nothing but followers. around 9AM picked up the fly rod to screw around with some little schools of bass. ended up murdering them with some small streamers. bass were all 4"-8" definitely a kick in the ***! after a while it got old so went back to the swimmer. ground it out till 4PM with only 4 fish to show for it. quality was so so. not big but not small. thats the game you play with the swimmer. GRIND GRIND GRIND until your arms fall off. that very next cast might be a double digit!

after seeing the afternoon wind push all that bait up on the bank i just couldnt resist the urge to try and call a couple guys bluff. i reached for the jerkbait rods. slapped on a lucky craft pointer 78dd and a megabass vision 110. found a sloppy section of bank and went after it. bite was damn good actually. completely unexpected. dan and my co worker mentioned they'd been wrecking them and i thought they were full of crap. at one point i was on an "every 3 cast" type bite. quality ranged from under 12" to keeper size. without a doubt if i were to have gone with it earlier and hit productive areas instead of (1) 1/2 mile stretch, im sure quality would have improved. i would strongly recommend getting out there with the jerkbait as you can load up and have one of those "40 fish" type days if you REALLY dedicated. ended the day with 4 swimbait fish and 15-20 jerkbait fish (lost count).

fun LOOOONG day. I'm beat. now i gotta go get the boat dialed for tomorrow!

prankster13
08-07-2013, 09:48 PM
It was good to see you again today Matt. I started out throwing a Rapala crank and caught 8 keepers right off the bat then it slowed down and I picked up the ultra light and caught a ton of small bass. The water has cooled slightly and most of my jig fish came in about 10 to 26ft. of water. I can't remember when it has been so cool in Aug. , beautiful weather out there today. I saw the biggest small mouth in the rock quarry ever in DVL, a good 4+ fish followed my bait right up to the boat and split when he saw me, very exciting to see for sure.42258

seal
08-08-2013, 06:58 AM
I also like picking on the small LMB's when things are slow midday before the bite turns back on. Hell an 8" largemouth on a 3 weight is a pretty fun battle!

Matt_Magnone
08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I also like picking on the small LMB's when things are slow midday before the bite turns back on. Hell an 8" largemouth on a 3 weight is a pretty fun battle!

haha! thats what i was doing! then i busted out the 10wt with some big EP flies and tried for something descent. negatory on that one.