PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Surf Fishing Rod/Reel Advice

ErikAllen17
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
OK fellow FNN-ers... I am fried.:EyePop:

I have been doing research for weeks now on what would be a good all around rod/reel combo for surf fishing. I've seen so many reviews of so many different rods and reels, my head is spinning. I would really like to get something soon so I can start practicing with it for HG5 in Sept. I would really like it to be interchangeable between surf and pier if possible...

A couple of reels that have caught my eye and have been referenced as possibilities over and over again are:

- Shimano Corvalus 200 Round Baitcasting Reel
- Shimano Cardiff Baitcasting Reel
- Daiwa Saltist 30H
- AVET MXJ

I have done enough research to walk away with the advice that you should pick your reel first and then match an appropriate rod to it. Problem is... I would like to get a longer rod (9+ ft) for surf fishing. I already own a couple 7-footers that I use mainly for pier fishing. I'm sure they would work well in the surf as well... but I would like to have that "go-to" rod for just fishing the waves.

If you submit a reply on any of the reels above or even a reel NOT listed... please also suggest a rod that would pair up nicely with it. Thanks!

skunked4life
08-07-2013, 11:27 AM
ErikAllen17,

As to your reel choices, keep in mind that if you fish the surf for an extended amount of time, the heavy reel will make you tire faster. Those reels you listed are heavy IMO. If baitcasting is your preference, I hear great things about Lews reels. I personally have not used one, but there are a few guys that I respect that really love them.

Ken

P.S. check out dinkla's post a few threads down from yours. Those Abus are nice also. A couple of my good S.W.A.T. friends really love the Revo's.

ErikAllen17
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice... I wish I had gotten in on that deal. Looks like really nice gear! I went to a tackle shop and picked the guys brain for about 30 min regarding above. We came to the conclusion that one of my reels is actually pretty nice and would be perfect for the surf. I have a Shimano Symetre 3000 that's on a 7' Daiwa stick. He said to just buy a quality surf rod and slap that reel on it when surf fishing. Then when I go to the pier, put it back on the Daiwa. It made sense...

He pointed me to two rods. One was the Shimano Clarus 8'6" MH and the other (what he said HE would get) was a 9' Berkley Air IM8 Spinning Rod, medium action. Each was about $110 at their shop, but I looked online and it's just under $90/shipped on Amazon for the Berkley and the Shimano is $100/shipped.

Now... which one do you think would be the right rod for my Shimano Symetre 3000 reel? Any other suggestions in the same $100 or so range?

skunked4life
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I hear good things about the Berkely Air. For $100 you can get a nice clarus. I love the clarus rods. Look for them used and you can probably get one for anywhere between $60 and $80. I use a 7 foot rod in the surf and have had very few problems except for not being to cast out to the kelp beds in some AO's. I personally like the 7 foot range. BTW - my preference in spinning reels is the 2500 to 3000 size like the Symetre that you have.

ErikAllen17
08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I ended up buying the Shimano Clarus... super excited to try it out! Thanks for your help you guys!