PDA

View Full Version : Green Valley Lake Spray: Important info!

Troutin Man
08-06-2013, 11:16 PM
For those who don't know...Green Valley Lake will be spraying this week to kill off the algae bloom. The chemical company claims that the spray will not hurt the fish. However, I believe real answers are needed especially since people pay and consume fish. I asked the question before: Will the spray effect the trout bite or kill fish? Here are some answers...

My friend knows a professor from UC San Diego...a limnologist...study of freshwater, chemicals, and living organisms in fresh inland waters. He talked to him regarding my question regarding the algae spray and green valley lake. He told my friend that even though the spray may not kill the majority of fish, it will effect the ecology of the lake thus changing the behavior of living organisms and how they interact. He believes that a small percentage of fish will actually die from the spray, some will die from the effects of the algae being killed, and some will die due to consuming a concentrated amount of chemical within fish that consumed the algae in some fashion. However, the number of die off should be minimal.

He told my friend that human consumption is fine, but the aquatic life and behavior will be altered for awhile...2 weeks to a month (since GVL is small) and the spray will negatively impact the bite to some capacity. He also stated that trout especially follow the behavior of other trout and schools of trout will most likely lay low due to the shut down effect it will have on the fish. As new stockings are introduced, a large number of trout will be inactive due to the other trout already living in the lake being inactive. They will just follow their cues and natural signals from others. However as new stockings continue (like in a month), more and more active trout will overpower the inactive trout and bring energy to the lake combined with the effect of the food chain changing and adapting in a month or so.

Bottom Line: the bite will be difficult over the next few weeks (starting this week). Trout bite will be active in a month or so. With the stockings and inactive fish for awhile, the bite should really go off in September!

Hope this helps my fellow FNNers. Motto: Real Investigations. Real People. Real Answers. :Soap Box:

seal
08-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Sounds about right.

Bobber Boy
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info!

Troutin Man
08-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Hey Guys...it's verified. GVL sprayed to kill the algae today. I'm going to hit up other waters until September. Save some dough (money and pb...haha).

Troutin Man
08-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I am currently in Santa Barbara. Does anyone know of freshwater trout fishing in the area or is it not worth it? Maybe if there are no good recommendations, I will try ocean shore fishing with all my other gear. What to do...what to do...

Marley
08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
I am currently in Santa Barbara. Does anyone know of freshwater trout fishing in the area or is it not worth it? Maybe if there are no good recommendations, I will try ocean shore fishing with all my other gear. What to do...what to do...

Summertime trouting at Cachuma is supposed to be pretty good. All about boats and deep water, but that also gets you into the narrows and some great catfish action. Good luck!

Troutin Man
08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I hear cachuma is pretty nice. Didn't have a chance to get up there. Fished the shore at Carpinteria and had a blast catchin some mudsuckers using squid.

My bud went to GVL. He wanted to go to Arrowbear and I told him that Arrowbear is probably dried out. He went...he was bummed(probably cuz I was right) and ended up at GVL by default. He caught 2 crappies on jigs. Said it was slow. He said he saw someone catch 1 dfw trout onpowerbait near the dam during his 4 hours.

I'm going to wait until Sept. and check it out. There must be something to what the limnologist (trout psych?) Said about the spray.

Troutin Man
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info!

No problem. Don't want anglers wasting their hard earned dough and doughbait!

Trout Daddy
08-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Fishing here is horrible due to the spray off. I would stay away, rumor is they may not stock again until the week of the 26th to let the ecosystem repair itself. Guys at the lake the last few days had 1 or no fish......

esteban1t
08-15-2013, 01:06 AM
that sucks ): pretty much the only lake i fish in the summer, since i really am clueless on Catfishing. hopefully next season will be better

angelsfan951
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
you guys should check their website... it says fishing is GREAT i wonder whats going on

esteban1t
08-15-2013, 05:52 PM
It might be good, but who knows, SARL always says stuff like that. I just know i most likely wont go until they stock one more time or until i see a actual report from someone else.

Troutin Man
08-15-2013, 10:43 PM
you guys should check their website... it says fishing is GREAT i wonder whats going on

Don't always trust a pay lake...especially since we all know the truth about the spray. On the website, it said that the water cleared up due to cooler weather...bunch of B.S. What...the temp got into the low 50s? The high still has been hovering around 80-82 for the last month and if you fish from the point, you just bake and burn out there.

Again...they mentioned cooler weather but nothing about the spray? Why not be honest? Why fail to mention that algae killer was put in the lake???

Maybe fishing has gotten better for a couple of days, but others are still reporting that fishing is nonproductive. The website writer is one of the board members and of course...they need to sell it.

GVL is a great place if you've got the cash, but I am just asking for a little honesty. Transparency is important. Why not just say...hey we sprayed cuz the algae sucks and is sucking oxygen out of the lake. gonna kill the green bastards to make fishing better!!!