PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood LMB 8/2/13

mxwrench
08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Hit up the wood for the first time this year after taking a bit of a break from my fishing obsession. My friend Phil and I launched at 6am and headed toward the far side coves (near the dam) and started with a little top water while the sun was still down behind the hillside. We had a few short strikes and a few followers, but no takers. Once the sun crested the hill, we began throwing power worms, chigger craws and some drop shot flukes. I managed 2 LMB just barely 15" and 1 under, while Phil had 3 smaller takers on the fluke and 2 smallish keepers on what was I think a tube. All these fish were holding where the vertical rock walls met the weed line. As the day progressed and the sun moved up in the sky things slowed to a crawl. I moved the boat over near Sycamore and around the bend toward the main channel and managed 1 more decent 18" LMB hiding next to some submerged timber. From that point till about 3:45 it came to a halt, but it wasn't without trying. We hit alot of my favorite spots which returned nothing except a bunch of dink stripers around 8" that were schooling near Chamise cove.
Being Phil's first time on a boat at the wood, I was a little discouraged that I wasn't able to put him on the fish like I had hoped to, but around 4, in the wind, like a switch, it all picked back up. Working the wall in Millers, Phil managed 3 nice keepers on the tube while I played one that came off at the boat on a brush hog. With our day winding down we made our way from Millers to Cleghorn and passed by the launchramp where I nailed 2 nice 3-4 lber's on a chigger craw in 18' of water. Once in Cleghorn we worked the south side weed line and Phil crushed it landing 3 more really nice LMB 18" or better, while I only had one bump.

Hungry and tired, we called it a day. Phil was satisfied with his catch and I was stoked that he had such a great time minus the 4 hrs of nothingness during the high sun period of the day. I am very happy and fortunate to have Silverwood as my home lake, and Lake Perris just an hour away! Can't wait for the top water bite to come on in Sept./Oct.

See ya'll out there!! Tight lines. BK

seal
08-06-2013, 01:02 PM
It's starting to improve on the Largemouth, the fry is still real small so they haven't turned on to the topwater for me as of yet. I think they are sensing the end of summer already, cooler nights, shorter days.

I'm with ya come on Sept.!

ChinoPreacher
08-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I was up there on the 2nd as well. Got a bunch of small stripers but also picked up this nice 5lb cat at the mouth of cleghorn.42244

Jmac
08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Nice to see the report. Went on 7/26 and struggled from the dock. Managed 1 dink LMB. My brother on the other hand hooked a pig. Around 7 to 8 pounds, total beast. Went again on 8/3 and once again managed 1 dink. Cooler weather couldn't come soon enough.

Bobber Boy
08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Nice report!

seal
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Nice to see the report. Went on 7/26 and struggled from the dock. Managed 1 dink LMB. My brother on the other hand hooked a pig. Around 7 to 8 pounds, total beast. Went again on 8/3 and once again managed 1 dink. Cooler weather couldn't come soon enough.

This week temps will be down the rest of the week nights have been real pleasant even here in the high desert, cut the wind just a bit and it will be on I'd bet.