PDA

View Full Version : Calico bass question

gonzo
08-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Went out on the Gail Force on Saturday. It was slow, just got a calico keeper and a big Blue Perch. I was cleaning the bass filets when I got home and saw something I never noticed before. There was this small white thing in the filets. One on each side. It was the size of a pill capsule- like a Tylenol or something. I cut them both out. Cut one and squeezed it. White stuff came out. I'm figuring it was a gland since they were on both sides in the same place.
I didn't think to get a pic. I was kinda grossed out and just tossed them.
Anyone know what it is?

I found this pic on the internet. This one is yellow. The 2 in the fish I caught were very white, and bigger than this one. Maybe around 1/2 inch long and smooth.

TUNAVIC
08-05-2013, 10:09 AM
That's intresting,would of liked to see a picture,I've caught a lot of Calicos,and eaten quite a few in the past,it sounds like some kind of parasite or worm,but again without a pic hard to say,can't remember encountering the same. I'm sure you'll get some good possibilitys on this site,some pretty well informed folks on this forum.

Cya TunaVic

LbcLakers
08-05-2013, 10:19 AM
should of froze the fillets till you found out what it was.

DockRat
08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
should of froze the fillets till you found out what it was.
That is good advice. Thinking sperm sacs ?

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt9t1nb3sh&brand=calisphere&doc.view=entire_text

FIGURE 13. A school of kelp bass, Paralabrax clathratus.
Photograph by Charles Turner.

― 30 ―

Identification: Typical bass shape with pelvic fins under pectorals and long dorsal fin composed of spines in front and rays behind. Dorsal fin deeply notched with two longest spines of equal length; anterior part of dorsal fin forms arch not found in other members of bass family. Mouth terminal and large. Posterior end of upper jaw broad and distinct. No obvious spines on head. Dark brownish-gray or brownish-black on back with many white blotches; pale cream below. Yellowish tinge to fins. Eyes at close range often appear iridescent blue or green. Breeding individuals, particularly maies, have bright yellow snouts. May be confused with olive rockfish, which occupies same ecological niche. Distinguishing characteristics: Kelp bass have more spots (a calico look) on dark dorsal section, and these extend below midline; has distinct break between dark dorsal and light ventral areas; is more robust. Olive rockfish are more even color and have only a few blotches on back, all above midline, and have a more slender head in profile. The calculated maximum length for kelp bass is listed by Young (1963) as 28.4 inches. Five kelp bass taken off the Newport jetty were 27 to 28.4 inches long and weighed from 8 pounds 11 ounces to 10 pounds 3 ounces. The heaviest kelp bass recorded (14 pounds 9 ounces) was 27.4 inches long. Recorded from the Columbia River to Magdalena Bay, Baja California (Hosie and Bond, 1968).

Habitat-Habits: Occurs among seaweeds and rocks. Larger ones tend to live deeper, often in rocky areas with little or no seaweed. Ranges from surface to 130 feet; concentrated between 8 to 70 feet. Occurs throughout the year. Little tendency to move or wander, except during breeding migration; do not display aggressive territorial behavior. In general, solitary, but asssembles to feed on schooling bait fishs. All dart together from different directions at forage fishes. Each seizes a fish, swallows it, then follows bait at some distance; later all rush school again. Sometimes leap clear of water in pursuit of prey.

Life History Notes: Food items vary markedly with size of fish. Diet includes polychaete worms, crustaceans, mollusks, and small fishes (Quast, 1968b). Early May through August spawning. Ripe adults tend to aggregate during spawning activities, often in kelp, usually in relatively deep water. Hundreds of kelp bass and other fishes may aggregate in small area during spawning. Ripe kelp bass, males and females, form such aggregations, as do ripe sand bass and sargo, pile surfperch, kelp surfperch, blacksmith, seņorita, and sheephead. Eggs pelagic. Young ranging from slightly less than 1 to 2 inches common throughout inshore seaweeds, including eelgrass in bays. Preferred habitat inshore clumps of feather boa kelp. Young also found in kelp canopy, holdfast regions, at mid-depths, and sporadically in areas below growth of giant kelp. Young occur late summer through December and by following summer are 4 inches long. Mature at 8 inches when 2 years old. Smaller adults begin spawning late in season.

Remarks: A most important sportfish (Young, 1963), taken by trolling spearfishing, and hook baited with live or cut bait. Feeds lightly during
― 31 ―
winter; almost impossible to catch then. Excellent eating. Includes but does not require giant kelp in habitat, also inhabits rocky areas without kelp. For example, large numbers of young to adult kelp bass occur off Guadalupe Island, Mexico, where no giant kelp present

gonzo
08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
I froze them right after cleaning them up. I kinda thought they could be sperm sacs, since they were in the exact same spot on both sides/each filet. I didn't really see anything connecting them to anything else. They were just imbeded in the meat, which made me think parasite. I've been searching for ideas as much as I can at work. Closest I found was a pic of these yellow grubs in the flesh of a bass, which were larvae.
I did cut into one and squeeze it with the tip of the knife. It oozed white liquid. There was no head or tail- they really did look like a white medicine capsule. I'm guessing it's a parasite.

DockRat
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for adding the pic. I don't think they are sperm sacs now after looking at the pic.
I do not think the are dangerous to eat.
DR

one long cast
08-05-2013, 01:19 PM
If you do eat them, I suggest taking the morning after pill just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GhettoBasster
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
If you do eat them, I suggest taking the morning after pill just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL!!! I was thinking fish nads too. Watch out for the milt stream.

gonzo
08-05-2013, 03:17 PM
That made me snort loudly at work!

billystein
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
it looks like polyps. when the parasites go dormant they change into polyps. i have seen fillets full of little pill looking things. many rockfish have worms in the summer. they probaly wont kill you but they are pretty gross.

zenyoungkoh
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I came across this coincedentally today. Might wanna google the parasite's name for more information 42283

zenyoungkoh
08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I realized my picture is a little small lol but try this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200369860385008&set=a.2497313188071.2112431.1110098205&type=1&theater

zenyoungkoh
08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Its "henneguya salminicola"