PDA

View Full Version : Boils, Bait n Wait and Trolling. Awesome Fishing!

fishinone
08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I got a call from Corey (Hardcor). He was happy with the video that I got at StriperFest. He said we're gonna make a fishinone video, invite whoever you want and pick a day. My first thought was to call Khanh (The famous KPN). Khanh and I gave it a little thought, discussed it and decided that by the beginning of August the season might progress to the point where we would have lots of options. I called Corey and we made the plan.

We met Saturday morning in line, set up the boat and talked about fishing. Corey is "fish nuts" like Khanh and me. With so much in common, we had plenty to talk about while we waited for the lake to open.

We saw some boil action while we were in line and changed the plan from Bait n Wait first to Boil Chasing first. That worked out well. We only got one fish off of the first boil, they sunk out before we could get to them but we knew to go looking for more topwater action. Corey called that rise and started filming it before we got our lures in there, I think that he got some good video of the hit.

We had a good time calling fish up to our KPN topwater plugs at the next stop. They weren't boiling but Khanh and I knew the spot and thought that we would be able to call them up. I think we got 6 out of that spot where there weren't even any boils. When we weren't catching fish we could see them shadowing our lures. The three of us were working well together, our shared enthusiasm for fishing was working to get some good video for Corey. Not only that, we were having a blast.

We stopped on one more boil that we saw from across the lake. We didn't get any more striper but I did get one UGB that didn't know that it wasn't welcome. :Big Grin:

We cruised the lake for a while looking for more topwater action then at about 9am we decided to try the bait bite. We saw Bassfan on the way to the usual bait spot and he told us that DMS was down there, making a great pain of himself, catching fish, "as usual". DMS and Lulu hooked up as we were setting anchor. That's promising!

Before I got bait on my hook Corey was hooked up at the front of the boat, but before he got his fish to the boat, I put a 3lb striper on the deck. Corey landed a nice one, about 4 lb or so. Khanh started off a little slow but I knew not to count him out. We fished there for a couple hours. Corey landed a 5 lb 12 oz striper and Khanh had one just under 5 lb. We all had several fish by the time the wind dislodged our anchor. It was telling us that it was time to try trolling!

We set up the trolling rigs and and headed for the Fish Arm. We could see DMS trolling across the lake as we put the rigs out. The first big school we saw on the fish finder was a little too deep and didn't make the trip up to visit with us. Around the cove we found some at the right depth and caught a micro dink to prove it. On the next pass, one a little bigger agreed to cooperate. I grabbed the pole without thinking and landed Corey's fish for him. :Crying: We circled for a while landing quite few fish of mixed sizes, up to actual dinks, then made our way around the fish arm looking for bigger models. We didn't find willing bigger models but we did make quite dent in those dinks. We caught fish in lots of places.

DMS came by and talked for a minute, he and Lulu had limited out. He gave us the skinny on where he found the most cooperative fish and headed for the boat trailer. Thank you Dan!

We found the fish right where Dan had said they were but kept on rolling hoping to find those monsters.

We watched Bassfan pull in a couple troll fish from a distance. It looked like he was doing good.

As the day progressed more rapidly than we wanted it to, we headed back toward the bait spot. On the way, Corey joined the dreaded UGB club.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Aug%203rd%20-%20Making%20a%20video%20with%20Cory%20and%20Khanh/20130803_1626411_zps95d73f97.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Aug%203rd%20-%20Making%20a%20video%20with%20Cory%20and%20Khanh/20130803_1626411_zps95d73f97.jpg.html)
At least he caught a striper with it!:LOL:

We caught striper in spots 3/4s of the way around the lake. We didn't get any in the rest of the lake because, "We didn't troll there". I think we caught close to 30 fish on the troll before we called it off and set back up to bait fish again.

Khanh and Corey put a hurting on me again with the bait fishing. "Just Lucky" I'm telling you! We all caught more fish but these guys are both "The Reel Deal" when it comes to fishing.

While we were waiting, Khanh yelled out "Look look there they are." Topwater, it was on again!

If I remember this correctly. Khanh and I were both hooked up on double topwater fish with our KPN Topwater Shad, when the tip of Corey's bait pole disappeared below the surface between us. We landed all three. That counts as a triple in my book. (The video says that Corey caught his bait fish just after Khanh and I landed our KPN Topwater fish.)

Just after that I looked at the fishfinder and saw the best marks of the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Aug%203rd%20-%20Making%20a%20video%20with%20Cory%20and%20Khanh/20130803_1837401_zps08757d22.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Aug%203rd%20-%20Making%20a%20video%20with%20Cory%20and%20Khanh/20130803_1837401_zps08757d22.jpg.html)
We had been visited by aliens! :EyePop:

I dropped Khanh off to fish the Night Fishing with Capt'n on my way out of the park. Talk about having current Intel! That's a good plan.

I didn't get very many pictures because we were concentrating on getting video.

Corey is editing video as I write this. He called a while ago and I could tell that he was having a great time reliving our epic day. He's going to post video in chapters, because we got so much video.

I can't wait!

What a great day of fishing.

Thanks Corey for asking me to help make a video, and thank you Khanh for helping to make it an epic day.

Hardcor
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Ron ! Your Top water part of your video's is down loading to You Tube right now ! I think it's some of my best stuff ever on video !

When I met you and Khanh at Striperfest 2013, There became a very tight bond that day when I saw how hard you worked for other people !

But yesterday, really getting to know you and Khanh and how you work together and hash things out was a great experience for me and I want to thank you for that !

When people see the video of you and Khanh walking the dog with the KPN lure, then sub surface walking the dog and calling up Mr. Stripey ! It's Amazing !

Khanh thank you for teaching that technique to me and thank you for the lessons in life too!

Ron, The reason I like you is because you are real ! Like a Reel Brother !

These three video's coming up are your's ! From the bottom of my heart from me to you !

Thank you again Corey

PS Think about our project !
PS Hears a little short something until The Reel Brothers Presents! Lake Castaic KPN Top Water STRIPER !

http://youtu.be/MqqiShU9k9w

Master Baiter1
08-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Sounds epic Ron! Khanh texted me you guys did great. Crazy guy went back out at night too. I have said it thousands of times to him, night time is for sleeping lol. Any boils in the jet ski only area? I brought my "sit to pee"", "couch" jet ski home from the river pad and will hit the pwc area topwater. Only lake lice like me can get to it. HA. Flip side is of course if they are outside the pwc area, I can't get to them?

DMS
08-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I was nice seeing you guys again and finally meeting Corey. Glad you guys got them and got some nice ones over by us! Maybe I should change my board handle to fish pain. Lol
It was a nice day... I was also looking for bassfan with the troll intel but figured he couldn't miss them as he was headed right for them.

cutbait
08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Three of my top ten favorite striper killers on one boat?

No way stripe had a chance....

Albeit 8,9, and ,10.......

Hahahaha ... way to go boys

TroutOnly
08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
WAY TO KILL THEM BOYS,,,,,,CORY YOU REMEBER THOSE LURES YOU GAVE ME THERE GETTING STRIPEY TEETH MARKS ALL OVER THEM THIS WEEK AND MAYBE SAN ANT NEXT WEEK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Ron ! Your Top water part of your video's is down loading to You Tube right now ! I think it's some of my best stuff ever on video !

When I met you and Khanh at Striperfest 2013, There became a very tight bond that day when I saw how hard you worked for other people !

But yesterday, really getting to know you and Khanh and how you work together and hash things out was a great experience for me and I want to thank you for that !

When people see the video of you and Khanh walking the dog with the KPN lure, then sub surface walking the dog and calling up Mr. Stripey ! It's Amazing !

Khanh thank you for teaching that technique to me and thank you for the lessons in life too!

Ron, The reason I like you is because you are real ! Like a Reel Brother !

These three video's coming up are your's ! From the bottom of my heart from me to you !

Thank you again Corey

PS Think about our project !

Corey, You're welcome to fish with me any time. We totally enjoyed having you fish with us yesterday.

I'm still all excited about how the fishing worked out yesterday. I was expecting something to work out, but having all of the plans come together was more than I could imagine. I love it when a plan comes together!

I don't know how you could stand filming in the middle of a topwater bite.

I enjoy seeing you and your brothers fishing together in your Reel Brothers videos. At times like those, the world is far enough away not to be a bother.

Sounds epic Ron! Khanh texted me you guys did great. Crazy guy went back out at night too. I have said it thousands of times to him, night time is for sleeping lol. Any boils in the jet ski only area? I brought my "sit to pee"", "couch" jet ski home from the river pad and will hit the pwc area topwater. Only lake lice like me can get to it. HA. Flip side is of course if they are outside the pwc area, I can't get to them?

It was a good day. I haven't gotten a full report of the Night Fishing but I know they caught a bunch.

I haven't seen boils out there yet but that's a normal pattern. They keep making the jet ski area bigger and bigger. If they keep going, soon your plan will be the only workable plan.

I was nice seeing you guys again and finally meeting Corey. Glad you guys got them and got some nice ones over by us! Maybe I should change my board handle to fish pain. Lol
It was a nice day... I was also looking for bassfan with the troll intel but figured he couldn't miss them as he was headed right for them.

LOL It's a good pain Dan!

You and BassFan are the right kind of people. I meet lots of guys who want intel, but sharing with you guys is a pleasure because it's a two way street.

Three of my top ten favorite striper killers on one boat?

No way stripe had a chance....

Albeit 8,9, and ,10.......

Hahahaha ... way to go boys

We're just happy to be on the list CutBait. Oh! I want to apologize for taking your screen name in vain before you see the video! :Razz:

WAY TO KILL THEM BOYS,,,,,,CORY YOU REMEBER THOSE LURES YOU GAVE ME THERE GETTING STRIPEY TEETH MARKS ALL OVER THEM THIS WEEK AND MAYBE SAN ANT NEXT WEEK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob.

No you can't use those lures and get stripey teeth marks all over them! You'll ruin them!

I can't wait to see your reports this week., it's just going to get better. Maybe I'll see you up there one morning.

MikesOcean
08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Right on Guys! I am sure the video is hilarious! Can't wait to see you and the zen master slaying up with HC.

Sounds like the trip was a blast! I hope I get on them like you guys did on Monday!!!

Again, awesome job!!

CAPT'N
08-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Ron,
I was going nuts texting u and Khahn as I got ready for the evening of fishing. By the time the line started to move, and you boys were still on the lake, I had thoughts of waiting for Khahn till 9 or so. Imagine my relief when you dropped him off at the front of the line.

Really nice to see friends tearing into the Striper population. I know that boat was filled with stories and laughter all day.

Thanks again for the cutting board.

And yes we caught fish all night long.......

Still can't believe Khahn fished almost 17 hours, and was still on fire.

The vids are awesome Cory ! Hope to wet a line with you soon.

Capt'n

Bassfan
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=fishinone;688209]We saw Bassfan on the way to the usual bait spot and he told us that DMS was down there, making a great pain of himself, catching fish, "as usual". DMS and Lulu hooked up as we were setting anchor. That's promising!

Just for the record, I said I couldn't take the pain of watching Dan and Lulu pulling in fish after fish while I was not getting any bites so I decided to try a different spot. I would never call Dan a pain, he's a great guy and I also said he is a real striper killer (and that's the truth!).

fishinone
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Right on Guys! I am sure the video is hilarious! Can't wait to see you and the zen master slaying up with HC.

Sounds like the trip was a blast! I hope I get on them like you guys did on Monday!!!

Again, awesome job!!

Goo Luck today M/O. After that day of fishing, here I sit, jealous because your fishing today!

Ron,
I was going nuts texting u and Khahn as I got ready for the evening of fishing. By the time the line started to move, and you boys were still on the lake, I had thoughts of waiting for Khahn till 9 or so. Imagine my relief when you dropped him off at the front of the line.

Really nice to see friends tearing into the Striper population. I know that boat was filled with stories and laughter all day.

Thanks again for the cutting board.

And yes we caught fish all night long.......

Still can't believe Khahn fished almost 17 hours, and was still on fire.

The vids are awesome Cory ! Hope to wet a line with you soon.

Capt'n

I tried to text a you a couple of times but they were failing due to poor service.

It was a day filled with humor, laughter and friendship. We had a great time!

Khanh met me in Castaic at 3:45. What time did you guys get in?

[QUOTE=fishinone;688209]We saw Bassfan on the way to the usual bait spot and he told us that DMS was down there, making a great pain of himself, catching fish, "as usual". DMS and Lulu hooked up as we were setting anchor. That's promising!

Just for the record, I said I couldn't take the pain of watching Dan and Lulu pulling in fish after fish while I was not getting any bites so I decided to try a different spot. I would never call Dan a pain, he's a great guy and I also said he is a real striper killer (and that's the truth!).

LOL I'm sorry Jim. I didn't mean to say that you called him a pain. That was just my interpretation of what you told me. I figure he's like me when it comes to my friends complaining about me catching to many fish. That's criticism that I can handle.

CAPT'N
08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Ron,

We hit the ramp around 1:00. Khahn was beat, and I did not want to deal with the inspection nightmare as 40 boats exit at the same time.

Lifeguard and sheriff sad all the reports from those before us said lake was dead :Wink:

By the way, I call you a pain all the time..........lol :-/\

Capt'n

fishinone
08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Ron,

We hit the ramp around 1:00. Khahn was beat, and I did not want to deal with the inspection nightmare as 40 boats exit at the same time.

Lifeguard and sheriff sad all the reports from those before us said lake was dead :Wink:

By the way, I call you a pain all the time..........lol :-/\

Capt'n

So, That current intel worked out OK for you, huh?

Thank you buddy, that's high praise!

Bobber Boy
08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice report and video!

koifish
08-05-2013, 02:18 PM
you guys had a good time there...I might go try top water next week !!!

fishinone
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Nice report and video!

Thank you! BTW, I like your Avatar.

you guys had a good time there...I might go try top water next week !!!

You should go this week! It's time!

Hitts0n
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
As Cousin Jones would say....KILL KILL KILL SLAY SLAY SLAY !!!!

CAPT'N
08-07-2013, 08:12 AM
You guys had a truly awesome day with three types of fishing being productive....

Can't wait to get back out......

Ron, does your new car have that new fish smell yet ?

Capt'n

fishinone
08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
As Cousin Jones would say....KILL KILL KILL SLAY SLAY SLAY !!!!

Do I know him? That sounds familiar.

You guys had a truly awesome day with three types of fishing being productive....

Can't wait to get back out......

Ron, does your new car have that new fish smell yet ?

Capt'n

Not yet. I picked up the last fresh bait that I got, in a rental car. They told me that there was a charge for cleaning dog and cat hair if they had to do it. I figured that would extend to fish scales, so I picked the anchovy scales out of the back of it before turning it in.

5150fishn
08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Great report! Sounds like an epic day on the water with plenty of laughs.

Hardcor
08-07-2013, 09:14 PM

fishinone
08-12-2013, 05:08 PM

This is the fish that Hardcore caught!

This is the fish that fishinone caught!

LOL I missed that earlier.

Hardcor
08-13-2013, 03:02 PM
This is the fish that Hardcore caught!

This is the fish that fishinone caught!

LOL I missed that earlier.

Ron ! Look at the smiles on all our faces ! You did that to us !

Thank you for that !

Corey