PDA

View Full Version : Massive fish die off in the lower Owens River

Bassnman Mike
08-03-2013, 02:01 PM
A friend and I went bass fishing up in the Owens Valley on Tuesday July 23, we stopped at Narrow Gauge road and proceeded to catch and release over 100 bass. We had so much fun I went back Thursday July 25 when I pulled up I saw dirty, chocolate milk looking water that appeared to be considerably higher flow than normal and a “sulfer” smell. I noticed several dead fish, bass and carp. I took a picture of the water as well as a dead bass.

While there I observed a man and lady there. I asked if they were fishing and they stated that they were there testing the water, they told me about the aqueduct being drained for repairs and that the water was diverted at the Alabama Hills pumping station. I don’t know who they were but they had a big suitcase with testing equipment. There were no markings on the truck and I didn’t get a license plate number. I watched the lady take a few pictures and she asked me what kind of fish one of the dead ones was, I told her it was a bass. As you can see by the picture, it was in very bad condition.

Saturday July 27 a friend text me saying he was fishing up by Boulder Creek but couldn’t get the fish to bite and wanted tips so I shared some tips with him. Later he said he caught 10 so I thought all was well. A few days later, after he saw my Facebook post he sent me a text saying that the bass he caught were all caught well above Lone Pine. He also stated “At the pump house east of the Boulder Creek campground the fish were dying, hundreds were sitting at the top with their mouths out of the water.” So obviously the damage had been done.

Wednesday July 31 my friend and I went back to see if we could have a day like we had a little over a week back. We stopped at Narrow Gauge and while the water was not “Chocolate Milk” looking it was dirtier than normal. We fished there for awhile but didn’t get anything, not even a bite. We then went further north and caught some bass well north of Lone Pine. Later in the day we went to the pump house by Boulder Creek Campground. When we pulled up we saw a lot of dead bass along the shore and in the road, some were in the 5-7 pound range and the stench of death was so bad that it literally made us gag. After leaving the area we had to roll the windows down to get it out of my truck.

I then called my contact at LADWP, explained our findings, and it sounds as if they were as just as upset at the situation as I am, at least he was. He told me that yes they did divert the water to make repairs to the aqueduct, which they have done in the past, but it happened at the same time as all the recent flooding and mud slides in the area.

I think that the combination of those 2 events with the addition of the link that I found at the LA Times the “Perfect Storm” happened and killed everything. I don’t believe just one organization is totally responsible for the die off but I do feel that with some planning steps could have been taken to avoid this tragedy.

I have contacted WON and they are looking into it. Bottom line, everything in the Owens River from Lone Pine south is dead, very sad.

Link to the LA Times article:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-31/sports/sp-18775_1_owens-river

LuckyBasser
08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
That article is from 1993.

LuckyBasser
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM
http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=47315bb8360d0baed37190b5e&id=c62a5bc04c&e=cfb02ceb8b

Bassnman Mike
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
That article is from 1993.

Thanks, a friend sent me the link and I didnt even notice the date however my report just happened and I took the pictures just the other day

Bassnman Mike
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=47315bb8360d0baed37190b5e&id=c62a5bc04c&e=cfb02ceb8b

Thanks....

LuckyBasser
08-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks....

That sucks so bad, I usually go there once a Month since my wife's sister lives there. If the pump house is no good maybe you should try up by manzanar there is a couple spots that are awesome up there.

Viejo
08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
There have been several pretty bad flash floods that have come down on normally dry or small creeks that closed 395 several times. Thunder storms parked in the Sierra just deluged the barren creeks and they roared down...many of them making it to the Lower Owens. Bass don't seem to tolerate high solids content in the water. My neighbors pond has been washed out twice on thunderstorm runoff and has killed the BG and Bass both times.

hamdenst
08-05-2013, 09:05 PM
I was staying at Diaz Lake the 21st thru 24th and let me tell you, ALL of the creeks looked like chocolate milk by Tuesday. Independence creek, The Owens, Taboose, Lone Pine, they all were flooded. Pretty crazy weather even for the Sierras. We had just fished Independence and Taboose on Monday with excellent results, went back Tuesday and it honestly wasn't even worth tossing the line in. All fish HAD to have died. I'd be very suprised to see any survive :(

Bassnman Mike
08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Just FYI, I talked to my neighbor this Friday evening, him and his wife went up to do some trout fishing on Friday the 26th. They went to Georges and Shepherds creeks, which are both north of the Alabama Hills pumping station. He told me that due to the flooding and mud slides from the storms that both creeks were flooded with mud and debris and that all of the fish at both locations were dead. Of course this had nothing to do with the LADWP.

Partial good news, yesterday I talked to an old fishing buddy, he said that him and his friend went to the Boulder Creek Pump station this past Saturday evening. He said he did see quite a few dead fish and it still smelled real bad but they managed to catch a few bass, where as a couple weeks back they caught at least 50in the same spot, so it appears that at least some of the fish did survive.

hamdenst
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Just FYI, I talked to my neighbor this Friday evening, him and his wife went up to do some trout fishing on Friday the 26th. They went to Georges and Shepherds creeks, which are both north of the Alabama Hills pumping station. He told me that due to the flooding and mud slides from the storms that both creeks were flooded with mud and debris and that all of the fish at both locations were dead. Of course this had nothing to do with the LADWP.

Partial good news, yesterday I talked to an old fishing buddy, he said that him and his friend went to the Boulder Creek Pump station this past Saturday evening. He said he did see quite a few dead fish and it still smelled real bad but they managed to catch a few bass, where as a couple weeks back they caught at least 50in the same spot, so it appears that at least some of the fish did survive.

that's really great to hear! to be honest it was overwhelming seeing the creeks looking so different from one day to the next. glad to hear at least a few made it through!

seal
08-06-2013, 04:38 PM
so it appears that at least some of the fish did survive.

Mike Largemouth are like cockroaches you can never kill all of um, lol

Bassnman Mike
08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Mike Largemouth are like cockroaches you can never kill all of um, lol

HA! You so funny!

I was amazed at how many big dead bass there were, I really didnt realize there were that many big bass in the lower river.

BTW, my article is going to be in this weeks WON. They dont sale them in my town, guess that means I'm going to have to go fishing this weekend so I can pickup a copy.

Master Baiter1
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
HA! You so funny!

I was amazed at how many big dead bass there were, I really didnt realize there were that many big bass in the lower river.

BTW, my article is going to be in this weeks WON. They dont sale them in my town, guess that means I'm going to have to go fishing this weekend so I can pickup a copy.

See all those lmb went to waste. All the times I asked you to keep them for my dog so he doesn't eat my striper delicacy and you just released them and now they're dead and rotting and the vultures don't even want them. HA.

Why don't they send you a copy if they are printing your article? Is WON even relevant anymore with the internet age? I haven't personally looked at one in like 10+ years.

Bassnman Mike
08-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Why don't they send you a copy if they are printing your article? Is WON even relevant anymore with the internet age? I haven't personally looked at one in like 10+ years.

They said they would, if they remembered but it gives me an excuse to go fishing, like I ever need an excuse, HA!

Master Baiter1
08-06-2013, 08:19 PM
They said they would, if they remembered but it gives me an excuse to go fishing, like I ever need an excuse, HA!

If I was retired like you, I would be fishing every day. You have the fastest boil chaser around. Goes from 0 to boils in seconds lol. You should go chase some boils!

Marley
08-06-2013, 09:39 PM
edit: Re-read it and it sounded like I was on drugs. Too bad for the blowout, they're never pretty, glad the fishing is still there.

seal
08-07-2013, 07:56 AM
edit: Re-read it and it sounded like I was on drugs.

Sounds like you are describing most of my posts.

seal
08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
HA! You so funny!

I'll have to pick up a copy, been a while, hell I'm not even sure where to get them anymore they aren't in as many stores as they use to be. Congrats Mike and thanks for keeping us updated!

Marley
08-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Sounds like you are describing most of my posts.

Oh, it was out there. Even mentioned alluvial fans. Not rant or anything like that, just sounded a little "mellow".