PDA

View Full Version : Catfish in Cucamonga-Gustai

etucker1959
08-02-2013, 07:58 PM
It's been over two months since the Department of fishey and Game has stocked any of my local ponds with catfish. I have kept myself busy with plenty of other types of fishing, but I do miss my pond catfishing. My friend Bruce has been hitting Gustai pretty regularly this month and doing fairly decent there so I knew it was a good bet. After missing my freeway interchange I arrived at the lake at 8:00 am. After surveying the situation at the lake, I decided to fish a spot called the grass beds. I named that spot myself 2 years ago because often you would pull up a long stringer of grass on your line. The beauty of that spot is because it's on the sunny side of the lake nobody wants to fish it. The perfect spot for my slip bobbers to work. For those people who don't know me, a slip bobber rig with meal worms is my weapon of choice for pond catfish. How good is that rig for pond catfishing? It made me a local legend with that rig. (For Real)

Back to the fishing!!

Once I set up in my spot, I looked to my left and there was Chunky cheese man with his family. I call him that because he fishes for catfish exactly the same way you would fish for trout. Long noodle rods and only using for bait, Garlic Chunky cheese power bait. He is a good guy to have next to you as a good indicator if the fish stop biting or if the fish are on the move. On my first cast, my lines start drifting around out there looking for some hungry catfish, when I turn to my left I saw Mr. Chucky Cheese had a double going on catfish. Cool I thought, as their are definitely some catfish around this spot. As soon as my bobber got about the same distance from shore it goes down in a hurry. Hook up and I land a nice #2 catfish, I cast my pole in the same direction, Bam down goes the bobber again. This time the catfish is only about 1 pound, as the day progressed the catfish were in just two sizes, 1lbs or 2lbs in about a 50-50 mix. It was fun having Mr. Chucky cheese man next to me, for every time he'd catch 2, I needed to catch 3 in a very informal fishing contest. After 3 hours of fishing I ended up catching 12 catfish, Mr.CC man had caught 8 and I decided to call it a day.(All my fish are always C&R only) As I was packing up, I counted in my head how many catfish did I see everyone else catch in the lake that day.(About 10) So you can't say it was WFO, but it was steady fishing for the whole 3 hours that I fished with Mr. CC next to me.

PS Hit the lake again on Sunday afternoon. In only a couple of hours of fishing caught another 7 catfish in the same spot and bait.

pga7602
08-03-2013, 12:29 AM
It's been over two months since the Department of fishey and Game has stocked any of my local ponds with catfish. I have kept myself busy with plenty of other types of fishing, but I do miss my pond catfishing. My friend Bruce has been hitting Gustai pretty regularly this month and doing fairly decent there so I knew it was a good bet. After missing my freeway interchange I arrived at the lake at 8:00 am. After surveying the situation at the lake, I decided to fish a spot called the grass beds. I named that spot myself 2 years ago because often you would pull up a long stringer of grass on your line. The beauty of that spot is because it's on the sunny side of the lake nobody wants to fish it. The perfect spot for my slip bobbers to work. For those people who don't know me, a slip bobber rig with meal worms is my weapon of choice for pond catfish. How good is that rig for pond catfishing? It made me a local legend with that rig. (For Real)

Back to the fishing!!

Once I set up in my spot, I looked to my left and there was Chunky cheese man with his family. I call him that because he fishes for catfish exactly the same way you would fish for trout. Long noodle rods and only using for bait, Garlic Chunky cheese power bait. He is a good guy to have next to you as a good indicator if the fish stop biting or if the fish are on the move. On my first cast, my lines start drifting around out there looking for some hungry catfish, when I turn to my left I saw Mr. Chucky Cheese had a double going on catfish. Cool I thought, as their are definitely some catfish around this spot. As soon as my bobber got about the same distance from shore it goes down in a hurry. Hook up and I land a nice #2 catfish, I cast my pole in the same direction, Bam down goes the bobber again. This time the catfish is only about 1 pound, as the day progressed the catfish were in just two sizes, 1lbs or 2lbs in about a 50-50 mix. It was fun having Mr. Chucky cheese man next to me, for every time he'd catch 2, I needed to catch 3 in a very informal fishing contest. After 3 hours of fishing I ended up catching 12 catfish, Mr.CC man had caught 8 and I decided to call it a day.(All my fish are always C&R only) As I was packing up, I counted in my head how many catfish did I see everyone else catch in the lake that day.(About 10) So you can't say it was WFO, but it was steady fishing for the whole 3 hours that I fished with Mr. CC next to me.

etucker, thanks for the tips. I'll have to give the location and your rig a try. :)

etucker1959
08-03-2013, 12:38 AM
etucker, thanks for the tips. I'll have to give the location and your rig a try. :)
When you decide to go, pm me and I'll give you some exact spots to try.

DockRat
08-03-2013, 08:49 AM
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j370/Jezey/Applause%20Clapping%20Excited/Applause-clapping_zps10830ed6.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Jezey/media/Applause%20Clapping%20Excited/Applause-clapping_zps10830ed6.gif.html)Great Job Etuck.

etucker1959
08-03-2013, 09:52 AM
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j370/Jezey/Applause%20Clapping%20Excited/Applause-clapping_zps10830ed6.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Jezey/media/Applause%20Clapping%20Excited/Applause-clapping_zps10830ed6.gif.html)Great Job Etuck.

The funny thing DR, I went fishing at Lake Barrett last Sunday and caught a whole bunch of LMB. I was going to write a fishing report about it, but LMB reports are all over FNN so it wouldn't be very special. Pond catfishing reports are few and far between and is a great way to make some new friends.

sumodnb
08-04-2013, 12:31 AM
saw some dudes doing rather well near the bridge by the entrance last week.

etucker1959
08-04-2013, 09:09 AM
saw some dudes doing rather well near the bridge by the entrance last week.

I'm not familiar with your reference to the bridge. The entrance part I get!

pga7602
08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
When you decide to go, pm me and I'll give you some exact spots to try. PMed you! :)

sumodnb
08-07-2013, 05:55 PM
the bridge that is over the channel that leads to the small "dam".

yotataco
08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
What's the total co$t of fishing there? I know you pay parking but they charge per rod?

etucker1959
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
What's the total co$t of fishing there? I know you pay parking but they charge per rod?

The totally cost is $8 per rod plus parking. The parking fees are $8 during the week and $10 on weekends. FYI they now have gone to stocking every other week on Thursday. The next catfish stocking is on Aug 16. You are allowed to fish with 2 rods with your fishing permit. The only park that I fish for catfish that charges for the second rod is the Santee lakes in San Diego.

yotataco
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm going to try it soon. My local lake has been slow for them cats.

FishBalls
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Great Post. I haven't been there in a while. I have had some good luck with slip bobbers and mackerel in the past. I will have to try it with meal worms.