PDA

View Full Version : Green Valley Lake Report and Info

Troutin Man
08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi all. Hope you are doing well. I have a little report on GVL.

I went up after a half work day and got up ther around 11:30am. Hit the south shore and 1 person caught using power bait. It was a real slow day. I eventually caught one trout at 3pm. It was less than a pound. Amazing isn't it? So i went to talk to the lake manager and he said it's been slow for a few weeks. Lots of fishing pressure and winds playing havoc.

I decided to get a boat cuz shore fishing sucked big time. so far i have only seen 2 fish caught...including my dinker. tied my rowboat to the little buoy near the dam. Threw jigs, thomas buoyants, rooster tails, and a super duper. then I tried drop shotting some trout worms. i even c-rigged a mice tail. not a nibble. so i trolled to the east side of the lake, set the anchor and threw out meal worms. nothing. Then i tied up a jig and attached a meal worm as the tail. nothing again. Rowed back to the very middle of the lake and threw a meal worm jig. Caught a crappie!!! Whoopee!

It was nice to be out there though...So important info for next week:

There is lots of algae. manager said that there was an algae bloom last week or 2. they are going to put chemicals in the water next week on Tuesday or Wednesday to kill off the algae. this will probably kill the bite (what's left of it) once they start treating the water.

I try once in awhile to pay at GVL in the hopes of action (sounds like prostitution), but sucks that the lake made all that money today and only 2 were seen caught all day! I say hit up jenks, BBL, or gregory. GVL is suckin' it up and with the chemicals next week...well next week should really suck.

esteban1t
08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
The only day fishing was good at gvl was opening day, fishing has been DRAMATICALLY slow compared to last year, They stock like half of what they use to, last year they stocked 1000-1200 pounds every week and now i thinks its only 500-650, it really sucks because that use to be my favorite lake to fish in the summer and my grandfather fished it since he first arrived from mexico(1960's) so its a disappointment to him too

Troutin Man
08-01-2013, 11:13 PM
The only day fishing was good at gvl was opening day, fishing has been DRAMATICALLY slow compared to last year, They stock like half of what they use to, last year they stocked 1000-1200 pounds every week and now i thinks its only 500-650, it really sucks because that use to be my favorite lake to fish in the summer and my grandfather fished it since he first arrived from mexico(1960's) so its a disappointment to him too

you know it sucks when grandfather is saying it too. wow. it was really bad today. couldn't believe it. they raked in the money today and only 2 fish caught. crazy.

you are right about the stocking. they are so proud on their website to announce that they stocked 600 pounds. common...last year they were stocking 1000, 1500, etc. big difference eh?

remember weed killer boat out on the lake next week on Tues/Wed.

By the way, a lake worker said they will not be stocking for 12 days. isn't that a long time for a pay lake??? geez. god i miss sarl and corona for trout fishing!

MexicanPistachio
08-02-2013, 04:15 PM
I was up there Wed with a buddy and we did pretty good. we caught 13 fish from boat mid lake on red/gold tb before 9. once 9 hit the winds came and the bite died. we fished the point til 130 and ended up with 14 including 6 fish over 2lbs. they need to make the locals pay like everyone else. $75 for the year is crazy but then again im playing in their water.

Troutin Man
08-04-2013, 11:45 PM
My friend was up at GVL today and he verified that they are going to spray for algae this week. The guy thought that it would most likely be done Wednesday morning, but possibly Tuesday. He said the bite was also very slow. He caught 1 trout and 1 bluegill...and he was there for 8 hours.

The worker seemed to think that the bite on the day and days after spraying would have a negative effect on the bite. Who's a trout psychologist? Is this true? Would the spray have a negative effect on the bite?

seal
08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Most would think so. After the bluestoning at Silverwood the trout that had been stocked were still lingering near shore the next day, they had been around shore for weeks, the second day after they stoned the trout disappeared probably to find more oxygen rich deeper water. So I'd bet there will be an affect and trout are oxygen sensitive fish also, being that GVL is a small lake I sure hope they don't screw up and kill a bunch!

Troutin Man
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Seal...your logic sounds right to me. Trout are sensitive and adding "algae killing spray" along with up and down temperatures probably will hurt the bite? The fish will probably all be hiding deep in cooler water as far away from the boat sprayer as possible near the dam. Will they bite???

Bobber Boy
08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Better luck next time! Thx for the report!

seal
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Will they bite???

If they are hungry and not whacked out, probably.