PDA

View Full Version : dvl 8/1/13

Matt_Magnone
08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
finally was able to get back on the lake after what seemed like an eternity. didnt really care how the fishing was as i've heard enough people tell me to "stay home", "go to perris!" or "dont waste your time". it was more of a day just to get re-acquainted with the lake at the current water level. been almost 2 months since i was out there last (excluding night events)

fishing was actually A LOT better than how people have been describing it to me. i was expecting a dead sea.

right off the bat i was able to figure some key pieces to the puzzle.

plethora of silversides throughout the lake. north, south, east and west. primarily on wind blown cuts and coves.
bluegill up tight to the bank
wolfpacks of bass between 7" & 3 pounds at every stopping spot

BINGO! stay high and tight to the bank and cover water.

didnt turn the graphs on so i have no idea how warm the water was, but with the amount of bait and forage fish up tight to the bank, there was no reason to go offshore. or go deeper than the color change. caught some swimbait fish early on the gan craft (2-3 pounds) and bounced around with that till 8 or so. had a TON of followers and a good amount of short biters. enough to definitely get me to commit to it the the whole day if thats all i wanted to do.

around 9 i picked up one of my co workers, anthony, from the shore and we went to take advantage of some fly fishing since the amount of bass up on the bank was so great. stuck a lot of 7-13" fish using #6 olive wooly buggers and one fish on an umpqua pole dancer fly. gave it about 2 hours and said screw it.

abandoned that jive to get back on the swimmer fish. ran the lake with a fish here and there until about 1 when the wind started doing its thing. bingo. fish lit up. followers started turning into biters. bounced around between the gan craft, s waver, cl8 bait clacker, decoy swimbait and triple trout. ran with that bite til the lake closed. as the wind got heavier pushing the bait into the backs of coves the bite got better.

made one cast with the fluke and i don't know if it was a "fluke" but got blown up and tree'd by a descent fish. broke it off and was too lazy to retie so went back to the swimmer. you may want to look into that bite.

the key to our bite today was to locate bait in relationship with sparse brush, in or near a mudline. as long as you could find the bait it was a fish or two from every key spot. run those spots throughout the day giving each time to rest and it was pretty good. match the hatch as far as bait selection and you're good. caught them on everything from baitfish, baby bass and bluegill imitations. had our opportunites at some quality fish but you know how that goes. average fish was in the 2.5-3 pound range. didnt have a big fish as the majority were clones.

ended up with 15 fish on the swimmer and a bunch of little bass on the fly. very fun day on the water.

metered some stuff for grins and saw fish holding in 30' on outside structure.

hope this helps guys!
-matt

skatino
08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Great report Matt....must say I am a little disappointed you posted it though...I like the lake all to myself.

I love the summer on DVL, I like to use this time to brush up on my off shore fishing. I just added the new graphs to the boat, and I must say I love having GPS. Stick a fish in 30', work it in, unhook, reset and go right back and stick another one. Not sure how I did it before, but man it is AWESOME.

Glad you had a great day out there. One of these days I have to get out and learn the swimbait from you. I hate throwing it, I lack the confidence. Anyways, hope to see you on the water soon!

Steven

riverside_angler
08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Awesome!!!! And.....I got my fix.

HawgZWylde
08-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Glad to see you back at DVL Matt. Good post and pretty much sums it up for the last 2 months regardless of the bait of choice. Gills, fry, juveniles, and bait-fish are everywhere. It's the summer grind and one has to work a little more to stick fish. I've been pretty successful using a variety of baits including t-rigged plastics, crankbaits, chatterbaits, small swimmers, and jigs. Still catching a few here and there on the blade as well. I can't believe some folks are saying stay home??? If you aren't catching fish, rethink what you are doing and make the changes accordingly. Match the hatch whether it be swimmers or crawlers. Were you surprised at all the new buoys scattered around the lake? Lot's of killer structure has come, and is coming into play indeed...

Matt_Magnone
08-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Glad to see you back at DVL Matt. Good post and pretty much sums it up for the last 2 months regardless of the bait of choice. Gills, fry, juveniles, and bait-fish are everywhere. It's the summer grind and one has to work a little more to stick fish. I've been pretty successful using a variety of baits including t-rigged plastics, crankbaits, chatterbaits, small swimmers, and jigs. Still catching a few here and there on the blade as well. I can't believe some folks are saying stay home??? If you aren't catching fish, rethink what you are doing and make the changes accordingly. Match the hatch whether it be swimmers or crawlers. Were you surprised at all the new buoys scattered around the lake? Lot's of killer structure has come, and is coming into play indeed...

yeah man, super stoked to get back on the water. i was shockked to see a lot more of my deep areas are starting to come in play. there was a gnarly rock ledge i used to fish that was in 80-90' much of the year and is now in 57'. i couldnt believe it. island spots i used to always hit up are now in 28'. bite is pretty silly if you target the bank fish. im sure with a darter head, scrounger or underspin it could be 30-40 fish days. typical summer fishing though. have to find the forage then you'll find the wolf packs.

prankster13
08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Welcome back Matt and thanks for the report. I have been out allot lately and have had the same results on the same baits. I had a giant small mouth follow my crank bait in and as soon as he saw the boat turned around and headed back deep, he was a very respectable fish in deed. Rocks have been my choice to fish and like you said the new structure showing has produced a few break offs for me and I know they were monsters, all on plastics. Looking forward to fishing tonight. They say the wind is pretty healthy at night so I will be fishing allot of cranks and spinner baits this evening off the rocks. The last time we went out at night is was the same deal and we caught a fare amount of healthy fish on cranks and spinners. Here is a fish I caught Friday off of the dam on a Rapala.42198