PDA

View Full Version : Fishing License question

Bass Boy 14
07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Hey,

I'm going kayaking with my parents in the back bay of Newport on Saturday. So, I'm going to bring a pole or two and try some fishing.

Do you need a saltwater license to fish the back bay or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Tight lines,
BB

LbcLakers
07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Is there two separate licenses for salt/fresh water fishing? I thought the annual sport fishing license was good for both. You need the ocean enhanced validation, you can pick it up at sport chalet for $5 or $6. Good luck on those spotties if you make it out there.

*just called dfg and annual sport fishing license is good for salt/fresh water

Fish Dog
07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Be careful in the Back Bay. I don't know exactly where you're going to fish but I believe above the PCH bridge is an MLPA and you can't fish there.

Boundary: This area includes the waters below the mean high tide line within Upper Newport Bay northeastward of Pacific Coast Highway approximated by a line between the following two points:

33° 37.02' N. lat. 117° 54.24' W. long.;
33° 37.02' N. lat. 117° 54.32' W. long.; and southwestward of Jamboree Road approximated by a line between the following two points:
33° 39.07' N. lat. 117° 52.02' W. long.; and
33° 39.03' N. lat. 117° 52.01' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line from shore only, or take pursuant to maintenance dredging, habitat restoration, research and education programs, maintenance of artificial structures, and operation and maintenance of existing facilities inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or activities pursuant to Section 630, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

In waters below the mean high tide line inside the Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve, northeastward of a line connecting Shellmaker Island (33° 37.20' N. lat. 117° 53.51' W. long.) and North Star Beach (33° 37.38' N. lat. 117° 53.60' W. long.) the following restrictions apply:

Swimming is allowed only in the area between North Star Beach and mid-channel.
Boats are limited to speeds less than five miles per hour.
Shoreline access is limited to established trails, paths, or other designated areas.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp. (Check Upper Newport Bay)

Bass Boy 14
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks you guys! I will be sure to check on that FD.

bowler
07-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks you guys! I will be sure to check on that FD.

Bring squid you will catch. I will shot you a pm on where to go.