PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake July 27th

Fresh H2O Bill
07-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Good morning all,

I went up to the house this past weekend to do some work and a little fishing. I tubed Saturday morning, putting in at Pine Knot Landing. Right off the bat I get hit and was thinking, "Looking good." Threw back in the same area and I get hit, set the hook, and pull in a crappie ..... like really ..... on a 7" Berkley power worm. Must have been a hungry bugger.

I fished until noon with not a sniff from the bass. I worked a lot of the private docks, the whole jetty, and the Miss Liberty area for nada on the moss backs. They have been a tad elusive for me the last couple of times out. I threw everything at them for nothing. I'm thinking the lake level may have something to do with it. The problem is there is a ton of weed growth at most access areas so it's tough to get out to a lot of the normal spots.

Anyway, I ended up with 40+ crappie, keeping fourteen for the in-laws.

Tight lines and be safe,

Bill

Matthew 4:19

etaggart
07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Tough day on the bass-attach, Bill - but always good to hear something's being caught.

F-in-Law has a broken trailer axle, so unless he can get it fixed today, doesn't look like we'll be pontooning this weekend. I may be able to slip out for a tubing session early Sunday morning. I wonder if anyone's tried working the square jetty on the east side of Grout Bay for bass? Usually not much luck for me there, but maybe they migrated this year?

Cheers,

Eric

Ryan_J
07-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Nice work on the Crappie. What were they hitting on? I tried for them a couple weeks ago and only got 3 using pink and white crappie jigs.

Troutin Man
07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow! 40 plus crappies is awesome. Not bad for a days work. Nice job out there. It's always great to get out and do a little fishing. I can't wait until I can get out there!

Fresh H2O Bill
07-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Hey guys, thanks for reading and responding.

Eric: Sorry to hear about the axle issue, I know you were looking forward to that pontoon fishing. Hopefully he can get it fixed so you guys can make it out, if not, have fun tubing. I think we're going to have to mix it up to find the bass, they haven't been too co-operative this summer. Our kids are using the house this weekend so I won't be up. Hopefully we'll be up the following weekend.

Ryan: I was using a Sierra Slammer trout tube in the Fire Tiger model. I have also had a lot of success with Trout Magnets in chartruse and white and straight up white. Good luck to you.

Troutin Man: Thanks. Big Bear has an abundance of crappie and when you find the schools it can be lights out. Hopefully you get out there soon, and good luck when you do.

Blessing,

Bill

Matthew 4:19

GhettoBasser
08-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Figured I'd add my unsolicited 2 cents.

Been up here for 2 days. Rented a boat for 4 hours and caught not a damn thing. There is grass and algae bloom all over the South side of the lake. Fished Metcalf and Kidd Cove and outside of Boulder Bay. Fished the docks and the points. Windy today, have to admit didn't fish prime time as it was mid day. They had the algae scooper boat out today so at least it looks like they are addressing it.

Upside, took the family Boulder Bay dock. Wife caught a 5lb grass carp, 1 Bass sub lb, and 10 bluegill. Nightcrawlers were the bait.

bowler
08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Figured I'd add my unsolicited 2 cents.

Been up here for 2 days. Rented a boat for 4 hours and caught not a damn thing. There is grass and algae bloom all over the South side of the lake. Fished Metcalf and Kidd Cove and outside of Boulder Bay. Fished the docks and the points. Windy today, have to admit didn't fish prime time as it was mid day. They had the algae scooper boat out today so at least it looks like they are addressing it.

Upside, took the family Boulder Bay dock. Wife caught a 5lb grass carp, 1 Bass sub lb, and 10 bluegill. Nightcrawlers were the bait.

I was just there over the weekend and I heard on there radio station 93.3 that the lake turned. So the most of the weeds and
moss came loss. If you go to big bear listen there radio station at 8:45 am and 4:45 pm each day for there fishing report. Other then that the radio station plays music that I have never heard before but there is a few songs I heard before.

GhettoBasser
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the tip.