PDA

View Full Version : Sat 7/27 Limits on Bait

DMS
07-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Headed out to the lake with Lulu dark and early this morning. Lots of fishing friends in line and checked out Ron's new truck at the front of the line. Lake opened at 6 today, so a little extra wait. Off to the bait spot and got to business right away and got into a good bite on dinks. Was a bit worried we would limit too fast, but then we got a really nice 6# fish and lost another one that was probably as big. I should have retied...
The bite shut off for a while and then started picking again.
the fish really were a bit picky at times, but we got it done and got our limits and was off the lake at 1:45.
One big and 19 smalls. It was a nice day on the water with Lulu. It was good seeing friends too.
The cutting board photo only has 18 as Lulu gave away 2 before I could get a group photo.

DMS

cutbait
07-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Nice DMS and Lulu.

It is my humble opinion and simply an opinion that excessive chumming is to blame for the finicky bite.

30 boats and if only half chum all day everyday.... well you do the math

Hardcor
07-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Nice Striper Lulu ! DMS you are on fire !

DMS
07-28-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't know about chumming or why the stripers do what they do. I have worked huge schools for nothing when no boats where baiting at all. The water is clear and the fish don't want to be caught. Most of the fish I caught had nothing in their stomachs. Only one had a couple pieces of sardine. They can see the line. Also that is a huge lake with zillions of stripers that eat shad and bass for a livin. They swin in and out and sometimes are active enough to go stupid.

That being said, with the hundreds of stripers my boat has caught in the last year, it's hard to get worked up that they are real picky. I have often caught a lot of fish in front of others who were not. You should have seen it when I used to fish the river lakes... The rent boats would often hit me trying to get on my spot after getting frustrated. It would really make them mad when I moved to their old spot and started catching after they crowded me out.

There is presentation and technique knowledge and luck.

I also can do the math on the thousands of stripers being killed and that while there re still zillions, the heard gets thinned the smart ones live longer and eventually the fish do something else. That is the beauty of hook and line fishing. There is a mathematical function of number of fish per volume of water and success. When the density of fish gets smaller success rates drop while the fish have a chane to thrive and many average fisherman give up or go after something else.

What is cool about these stripers is that we need to catch them or they will eat everything in the lake and run out of food and become stunted. They are a great gamefish, great to eat, prolific and need to be controlled by us for the well being of the lake. It's a real win win win once the get in the lake.

DMS
07-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Nice Striper Lulu ! DMS you are on fire !

Hey hardcorey, hope to met you some time. Your videos are fun and you really know how to fish. I'm a lifer with hook and line too and it has been really fun shifting to stripers from a lot of other kinds of fishing. I had a long hiatus from fishing due to switching careers, going to law school, establishing myself and some other challenges. Now life is good and I almost want to cry with happiness every single time I crank up the boat.

Oh and I am sure you know this but your boat is sweet!

MikesOcean
07-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Nice job DMS and Lulu on the limits and that was a nice fish lulu caught.
I wish all the troll fish were that size.

Your reports with your wife motivates me to convince my wife to go out with me. Lol

Between you and hc fishing with the wife I have to figure a way to get her out with me.

Asking to go fishing just doesn't seem to work as good as if I ask her if she wants to go shopping! Hehe

dixoncider
07-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Nice DMS and Lulu.

It is my humble opinion and simply an opinion that excessive chumming is to blame for the finicky bite.

30 boats and if only half chum all day everyday.... well you do the math

Now there is chumming and there is just throwing bait over the side.. 2 different things... just saying

TroutOnly
07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
WAY TO SLAY DMS, WHO CAUGHT THE BIG ONE WAS IT LULU AGAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DMS
07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Now there is cumming and there is just throwing bait over the side.. 2 different things... just saying

This is the best typo I have ever seen on this board.

Bobber Boy
07-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Excellent catch and pics! Thx for sharing.

DMS
07-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Now there is cumming and there is just throwing bait over the side.. 2 different things... just saying

If a master baiter throws just throws bait over the side, is he chumming or cumming?

CAPT'N
07-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Nice fish kill!

Enjoyed chatting with you in the mourning.

Capt'n

cutbait
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Your referring to legality right?

DMS
07-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Nice fish kill!

Enjoyed chatting with you in the mourning.

Capt'n

Back at you... Did you guys find any eager customers after you moved?

dixoncider
07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Your referring to legality right?

Yes i am...

Hardcor
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Hey hardcorey, hope to met you some time. Your videos are fun and you really know how to fish. I'm a lifer with hook and line too and it has been really fun shifting to stripers from a lot of other kinds of fishing. I had a long hiatus from fishing due to switching careers, going to law school, establishing myself and some other challenges. Now life is good and I almost want to cry with happiness every single time I crank up the boat.

Oh and I am sure you know this but your boat is sweet!

I have only heard very nice things about Lulu and your self ! Bob was going to introduce us at Striperfest but you had family things to do ! And family comes first !

I'm fishing Tuesday at Castaic with the Legend and Saturday August 3rd I'm videoing The famous Fishinone and his sidekick KPN doing there thing on Ron's boat !

Please say hay if you end up being there one of those days, maybe put a camera your boat ! If not I'll meet you two soon !

Corey

PS Congratulations on Law School and establishing yourself to make life good ! Take it from me, It's worth it and it pays off right now ! You earned now live it !
PS When I start the motor to my boat, I feel young, I feel happy to be alive !
PS I'm a Lulu fan !

DMS
07-28-2013, 02:14 PM
I have only heard very nice things about Lulu and your self ! Bob was going to introduce us at Striperfest but you had family things to do ! And family comes first !

I'm fishing Tuesday at Castaic with the Legend and Saturday August 3rd I'm videoing The famous Fishinone and his sidekick KPN doing there thing on Ron's boat !

Please say hay if you end up being there one of those days, maybe put a camera your boat ! If not I'll meet you two soon !

Corey

PS Congratulations on Law School and establishing yourself to make life good ! Take it from me, It's worth it and it pays off right now ! You earned now live it !
PS When I start the motor to my boat, I feel young, I feel happy to be alive !
PS I'm a Lulu fan !

If you are a lulu fan now, you should see her do tai chi... Especially when she is working her swords!

CAPT'N
07-28-2013, 10:08 PM
DMS,

Ron was nice enough to include me on his boat......
I picked up a couple of quality fish, and lost a couple but overall a slow day. I brought dines that turned out to be pretty crappy. The fish would consistently spit the bait.

When we pulled anchor we trolled for a few more fish, then off the lake before noon.

You and Lulu were killing them in the A M.

Capt'n

DA MANG
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM
I am sorry, but it kind of makes me sick to see all those little stripers killed. Isn't it reasonable to release them to gow to decent size...

MikesOcean
07-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I am sorry, but it kind of makes me sick to see all those little stripers killed. Isn't it reasonable to release them to gow to decent size...

If there was no limit on stripers every bass guy who wants to continue to preserve the life of LMB would prolly start fishing for stripers to kill each and everyone that was hooked. Stripers kill and destroy everything in the lake.

It has been mentioned many times on this site. Believe it or not, the more you eliminate with dinks the better chance someone has in catching bigger fish. The dinks are eating the entire food chain hence, the bigger stripers die off. I know it sounds crazy, but you have to kill, kill, kill as many as you can or they destroy everything in the lake. Plus by having more small ones, you mess up the whole gene pool.

dk4885
07-30-2013, 08:12 PM

If you fish striper and see the size of these schools of dinks thru out the lake from 10 feet down to 80 feet and as long as a football field you would know just how infested these lake are. You must thin the heard. Remember these are salt water fish they lay 1000 times more eggs than fresh water fish.

Do the math.

Stripers when they spawn return to the same river to lay eggs every year they spawn, similar to salmon, the only difference being that stripers don’t die after laying their eggs. Not all stripers spawn every year, especially older ones that may spawn every four or five years. It is estimated that a 12 pound bass will lay approximately 850,000 eggs per spawn, whereas a 50 pound bass will lay roughly 4- 5,000,000 eggs per spawn.

DA MANG
07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Thank you guy for stats and reason

DA MANG
07-30-2013, 09:52 PM
I will totally drink the kill the baby striper coolaid!

fishinone
07-31-2013, 07:28 AM
DK,

You've been identified as a Baby Striper Killer!

I'm glad to have the company.