PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for Mammoth Fly fishing

Guest Who
09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Hello all,

I'm a long time spin fisher who is trying to get into fly fishing during my October Sierras trip. I've played around in the past but now I'm read to make a more serious effort.
My question is what kind of flies (or gear) I should buy, and where I can buy this online. I already have a rod, reel, backing, line, tippets, floatant, waders, float tube, etc... but just a handful of random flies.
My understanding is that most people have a flybox with say 10 general patterns each in several sizes, then maybe some woolly buggers and a few special flies to fit the area. Is this line of thinking correct or do you need to have specific flies for each area you fish?

Thanks in advance

Headhunter
09-16-2007, 04:37 PM
If you're going to the eastern sierra/Mammoth, then you HAVE to stop into Performance Anglers in Mammoth Lakes. These guys specialize in Fly Fishing, and they really know their stuff.

Email Joe at info@performanceanglers.com (mailto:info@performanceanglers.com), I'm sure he'll fix you up with info and tips and gear, if you need it!

It's a great little shop, with two dogs to welcome you, and a Tank with an Alpers trout.

fisherkid47
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive been to mammoth for years, and for fly fishing I find for stream fishing, the adams, elk hair caddis, chaill, wolly bugger, sculpin work the best and for most of the people people I talk to up there. I dont fly fish lakes so I dont know much about that. But two really good places that I love up there are ricks sporting goods, and the trout fitter. There both awesome fly fishing shops with loads of great flies and they know alot.

Troutoholic
09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I'll second Headhunters notion, great place and very nice and friendly people too. :thumb:

Mike274
09-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I will third that. However, if you do not have time you will find that olive wooly buggers will not only work but will work most anywhere. I have used them to catch trout from local lakes, to the sierras and even Oklahoma.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and also used pheasant tail flashbacks, tan bead head hares ears (Mary and Goorge) and a small grey looking gnat. All were used as droppers behind a Wooly bugger except the gnat that was so hot that I fished it alone exclusively at the twin lakes in Mammoth. Was fortunate enough to catch so many fish with this one that I went through 3 of them. Fish just chewed them up. Black buggers are nice to have too. I believe the shop at the Mammoth twins used to have a limited stock of flies on hand as well. The guy in the shop there fly fishes there alot and can help you as well.

If you fish the twins at mammoth cast towards the reeds and slow steady retrieve. Of course the retrieve style can change. You just have to experiment. I use a slow sinking line in the lakes there, but a floating line will work too it just may take a while longer to get the fly down to the feeding zone once the topwater morning bite is done. I like to count 1001 1002 etc until I find the depth where the fish are. Just experiment. By the way I fish from a tube. No launch fees at the twin lakes, but the others charge $5.

By the way you can sleep in too. This time of year don't think you have to be the first one on the water at o'dark thirty. All you will catch is cold. Ask me how I know. The bite won't start until it starts to warm a bit. Around 8:30 or so. You will know because the bugs will start moving as well.

Sorry for the long wind

Mike

mammothsnowman
09-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Matuka Joe will tell you what to use every week at our Eastern Sierra Bent Rods.com Video Fly Fishing Report. .

Click below for the Video Fish Report:
http://easternsierrabentrods.com/mammot ... dcast.html (http://easternsierrabentrods.com/mammoth-lakes-fly-fishing-report-podcast.html)

Snowman out...

LAHS_ELDO_74
11-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Punk Perch = Best Fly Ever :secret: