PDA

View Full Version : Eastern or Western Sierras?

chappy23us
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Good evening all,

I have been fishing the eastern sierras for the past 20 years fishing from Bishop to Bridgeport but I have never fished the western side. I have a week off from work next week and I can't decide whether to head up the 395 to Mammoth or take a shot in a new area by going up to Shaver Lake. I am a little concerned that the elevation of Shaver Lake (think it is about 5200 ft) will make it too warm for trout fishing but I think I have a few other options at higher elevation such as Edison, Huntington or Courtright. I will be doing mostly bait/wait shore fishing with my 6/7 year old boys. Is the fishing just as good on the western side? Anyone have any advice on where I should go? Also any campground advice near Shaver Lake would be great. Thanks in advance for any replies.

abovi001
07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey Chappy,

I grew up going to Hungtington lake each year and there are numerous lakes to hike to in that area that are awesome! Hunginton is great with a couple campgrounds, shaver is indeed lower elevation and they raise / lower the lake constantly. Edison is good but quite a bit longer drive. Another good lake is Ward, definitely take a look into this lake!

A word of warning though is I know there is a fire over there right now and i think the huntington and shaver areas might be closed right now due to smoke, fireman camps, etc. http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_23738249/calif-fire-leads-campground-closures

That might impede some of your efforts getting around that area

Enjoy your time off! I wish i could get up there haven't in two summer, i was backpacking up there once a year for awhile

AB

Bobber Boy
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
If it were me, I'd do the Bishop run! There are tons of places to fish and it is still cool up the hill. You have Sabrina, North Lake, Intake II, South Lake, and the creeks to fish. There are plenty of campgrounds in that area, Creek Side across from Bishop Creek Lodge seems to be popular and is fairly reasonable. I'm not sure what campgrounds exist up in Mammoth. Have a great trip! Hope this helps.

phishin phool
07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I would recommend going to Mammoth or Virginia Lakes. The Bishop creek drainage is having a rough year with really low water. In fact South Lake hasn't even been stocked this year due to low water. Intake 2, North Lake and Bishop Creek have been decent. Mammoth and Virginias have been getting lots of DFW fish and big bonus stockings of Alpers. June loop is a good bet too.

MustHuntAndFish
07-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Im biased because I grew up fishing the western sierras so I say go west.

I went to Edison over Memorial weekend this year. Fishing was good but the lake is very low. If you go west go to Courtwright and Wishon. My dad and brother went to Courtwright a couple weeks ago and killed it. Easy limits from shore and a little tougher on the troll but still limits.

You can't go wrong east or west... We have the most beautiful mountains and lakes here in Cali... Have fun!

HawgZWylde
07-27-2013, 11:03 PM
East has my vote. I grew up fishing around the Bridgeport area and absolutely love it up there. I've caught some pig brownies in Lower Twin and the reservoir @ Bridgeport. Excellent creek and stream fishing as well. But I agree with MH@F, east or west, you can't really go wrong. The Sierras rock!

DEVOREFLYER
07-28-2013, 04:11 PM
While I have visited and fished both the West and East Sierra I much prefer the Eastern Sierras. The west lake's are at lower altitudes than the east generally, the west has more skeeters to bite ya, more people visiting and is usually hotter than the east due to the altitude difference. Both areas this year are suffering from low water levels in lakes and streams. I have generally caught larger fish in the East Sierra's can't tell why though.

chappy23us
07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the response guys. After much debate due to the fire burning near Huntington Lake I have decided on heading up to the Eastern Sierras this week. Two nights at Convict to be followed by five at Robinson Creek in Bridgeport. Definitely going to hit Shaver Lake this November if the weather allows it.

shoyuegg
07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I just got back from a great 3 day stay at Parchers. Caught a lot at Sabrina but its now closed for the season as of Sunday the 28th. Intake 2 produced and Bishop Creek up the Lake St stretch below Parchers was going off...and there weren't a ton of people either.

pcuser
07-30-2013, 06:52 AM
I just got back from a great 3 day stay at Parchers. Caught a lot at Sabrina but its now closed for the season as of Sunday the 28th. Intake 2 produced and Bishop Creek up the Lake St stretch below Parchers was going off...and there weren't a ton of people either.

When you say Lake Sabrina will close on the 28'th, do you mean the restaurant and store or the lake itself. Either way, this is the driest season I've seen there since I've been fishing. I started fishing there in 1955...

HawgZWylde
07-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the response guys. After much debate due to the fire burning near Huntington Lake I have decided on heading up to the Eastern Sierras this week. Two nights at Convict to be followed by five at Robinson Creek in Bridgeport. Definitely going to hit Shaver Lake this November if the weather allows it.

Good choice. The Walker basin by luck has escaped the worst of the ongoing drought. Are you staying at Doc & Al's? Be sue to hit up Buckeye creek while there. Good luck...

aramirez1988
07-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I just got back from a week camping trip at Shaver Lake. I have been going to that lake for the last 19 years and with that considered I have seen a considerate decline in the fishing there, especially since they drained the lake recently. Two years ago, I got skunked there for the whole week. Last year I only caught one stock sized trout. However, this year I caught 8 total with my biggest being a 19 1/2 incher that weighed about 6-7 pounds (the biggest freshwater fish I ever caught). We took a day trip up to Huntington and fished from shore with only 1 carp caught. If you're fishing from shore, no matter what you will find Huntington better (but not great) than Shaver. Shaver is still going to need some time to get back to great fishing.

aramirez1988
07-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I just got back from a week camping trip at Shaver Lake. I have been going to that lake for the last 19 years and with that considered I have seen a considerate decline in the fishing there, especially since they drained the lake recently. Two years ago, I got skunked there for the whole week. Last year I only caught one stock sized trout. However, this year I caught 8 total with my biggest being a 19 1/2 incher that weighed about 6-7 pounds (the biggest freshwater fish I ever caught). We took a day trip up to Huntington and fished from shore with only 1 carp caught. If you're fishing from shore, no matter what you will find Huntington better (but not great) than Shaver. Shaver is still going to need some time to get back to great fishing.

here is a photo of half my catch if interested...42163

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Chappy
I'm also biased in preferring the west side of the Sierras. Been going to Shaver, Huntington, Edison, Florence, Courtright, Wishon for over 50 years, along with the number of streams and rivers in that area.
My all time fav place to camp and fish is Wishon. Wishon Village is the name of the campground where they have both RV and tent sites. They also have 25 cent showers and a general store. They have a site where you can also make reservations. It is about 1/2 mile away from the reservoir, but if you have small children it's easier to keep an eye on them than if you were near the water. Check out their site......... http://www.wishonvillage.com/
Trout fishing is always great there since I've been there so many times. Best spot to fish is where the Kings River enters that res. and any bait or lure will work. Best baits are the most natural like nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, and live crickets. You can get crickets on your way to Wishon at Shaver Sporting Goods about 1/2 mile after the turn off to Wishon on your left side.
Whatever your decision is I'm sure you'll have a great time
PM me if you want more specific info
TTFM

shoyuegg
08-01-2013, 09:27 AM
When you say Lake Sabrina will close on the 28'th, do you mean the restaurant and store or the lake itself. Either way, this is the driest season I've seen there since I've been fishing. I started fishing there in 1955...

The whole lake is closed...I guess the low level has more to do with the DWP than the weather.

SouthwestDude
08-09-2013, 07:15 AM
The Lake is DEFINITELY NOT CLOSED. Just returned from an excellent trip and Sabrina is horribly low but still being stocked and some huge fish are being pulled out of there.