PDA

View Full Version : Swivel or not

San Dimas
07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Hello everyone;
Should I use a swivel or a snap with a Thomas Bouyant lure? I've been using swivels but was told that this is incorrect. Thanks.

seal
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Snap swivel is perfect.

San Dimas
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
By snap I mean no swivel. I was told that a spoon doesn't rotate it just flops back and forth and that a swivel will interfere with it's action.

5150fishn
07-25-2013, 12:22 PM
For me it all depends on if you are casting it or trolling it. If I am casting it then I tie it directly to the line but when trolling it I do use a swivel because you will get horrible line twist at times.

Fishingkid97
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Casting I will not use a swivel

seal
07-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Don't know what to say at this point. I've been using Thomas Bouyants forever and have always used a snap swivel, that goes back a lot of years, mess with the action, I don't know cause if I do not fly fish for trout I use only Bouyant's.

But I guess there's more than one way to fish, but mess with the action? I really don't think so.

etucker1959
07-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Don't know what to say at this point. I've been using Thomas Bouyants forever and have always used a snap swivel, that goes back a lot of years, mess with the action, I don't know cause if I do not fly fish for trout I use only Bouyant's.

But I guess there's more than one way to fish, but mess with the action? I really don't think so.
In 1968 I walked into a tackle shop for the very first time in my life. I had gone in there to purchase a few lures to catch some Bass in my Grand parents private ponds. As I was talking to the sales person he said, "You got to buy some of these snap swivels to use." I asked him, "what are they good for?" The salesman answered,"so you don't have to cut your line every time you want to change your lure." Great I thought and bought some. Fast forward 45 years, was the salesman correct? Nope, I don't think so. Everyone I know doesn't use a snap swivel for lure fishing from shore. In fact when I do see someone use one, they usually are a donkey kind of fisherman at best. There is a couple of lures that I know of that do have a swivel attached to them from the manufacturer. However, if their is no swivel on there don't put one.

Rooster
07-25-2013, 04:04 PM
For me it all depends on if you are casting it or trolling it. If I am casting it then I tie it directly to the line but when trolling it I do use a swivel because you will get horrible line twist at times.
X2 Small ball bearing swivel when trolling

San Dimas
07-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Thank you all for the info.

casting call
07-26-2013, 10:37 AM
X2 Small ball bearing swivel when trolling

X3 on the swivel when trolling a spoon. Not sure how much the swivel will affect the spoons action, but its better than getting line twist to the point where you have to cut off a ton of line from your reel.

seal
07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
In 1968 I walked into a tackle shop for the very first time in my life. I had gone in there to purchase a few lures to catch some Bass in my Grand parents private ponds. As I was talking to the sales person he said, "You got to buy some of these snap swivels to use." I asked him, "what are they good for?" The salesman answered,"so you don't have to cut your line every time you want to change your lure." Great I thought and bought some. Fast forward 45 years, was the salesman correct? Nope, I don't think so. Everyone I know doesn't use a snap swivel for lure fishing from shore. In fact when I do see someone use one, they usually are a donkey kind of fisherman at best. There is a couple of lures that I know of that do have a swivel attached to them from the manufacturer. However, if their is no swivel on there don't put one.

Donkey kind? Dude I've been fishing for 45+ years. Let me toss you a question? If a Thomas Bouyant is supposed to be used with a swivel while trolling and there is no talk about "action" then why would "action" be any different if it was casted from shore?

I only use 1 lure anymore if I decide to use conventional gear for trout and that is a Bouyant with a SNAP SWIVEL.

Go back to the cats at the parks.... Or better yet use your power bait for C&R.....

etucker1959
07-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Donkey kind? Dude I've been fishing for 45+ years. Let me toss you a question? If a Thomas Bouyant is supposed to be used with a swivel while trolling and there is no talk about "action" then why would "action" be any different if it was casted from shore?

I only use 1 lure anymore if I decide to use conventional gear for trout and that is a Bouyant with a SNAP SWIVEL.

Go back to the cats at the parks.... Or better yet use your power bait for C&R.....

The donkey comment wasn't really meant for you, it was for the silent Majority. Who the heck are they? Let's see how smart you are, what's your best guess who the silent Majority really is.

fishinone
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I often use a swivel when trolling a lure, but I use it with a 2 or 3 foot leader and tie the leader directly to the lure. The swivel prevents the line from twisting up and stops debris as it slides down the line.

If you want to get more action from the lure you can tie a loop at the lure. Something like the knot that Rapala recommends.