PDA

View Full Version : SWAT'n In The Dark

SP Dan
07-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Another quick one.

Decided to hit up a local beach that is famous for it's grunion runs and to hunt for a few legals!

Duration: 7:30 PM to 12:00 AM
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous, Sun Set: 8:00 PM
Air: 65 deg, Water: 63 deg
Surf: 2-3 ft, Swell: 1.3 ft, Sec: 13
Condition: rough surf, some cleaner, salad free spots, became more fish-able closer to high tide.
7:30 PM ICT 4.0 ft, 9:30 PM ICT 6.1 ft, 10:30 PM HT 6.5 ft, 12:30 AM OGT 4.9 ft.
Isolunar Forcast: :BFish::BFish::BFish::BFish: Minor Period: 7:54 PM to 9:54 PM.
Assault Tactic: drop shot in the surf. Conditions were too windy and rough for the LC 110.

My neighbor "Pete" and I arrived just after 7:00 PM for the expected grunion run ..... which didn't happen!
I fished the south facing beach in the surf for (3) three short Halibut. Three more points for my team! Yahoooo!!! :Dancing Banana:
My neighbor had some good bumps, he said but for NADA! Sorry Pete ... I know that you fished it hard!

Well ..... "That's all folks"! No baby pictures this time! ha hah ha!

Thanx for taking the time to check out my fish report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

skunked4life
07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Great try out there Dan! The grunion run doesn't seem too predictable these days. You still managed to add to your impressive total! Slow and steady wins the race my friend. So much more that I would like to post but so little time. Peace out.

bachiboy
07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Nice going out there again Dan! It's been quite the "crap shoot" getting on those grunion runs, and even when you do, it doesn't always produce those bites we hope for. Wondering if the sloppy conditions factor into the grunion showing up? I've only seen them when the weather was a little nicer, and the last couple of nights have been blowing pretty good. Oh well, you gave it a heck of a try and came out with some points! Another successful outing sir...

Congrats!
Don

DockRat
07-24-2013, 05:37 PM
As per the Tide Book the run starts tonight. The second and 3rd nights are suppose to be the best. Good effort Dan.
DR

Which Way Out
07-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Dan your a fishing machine...
Arthur's score keeping device just keeps going, Ding ding ding ding ding every time you check in. Love it.

Keep it going buddy.

WWO

SP Dan
07-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Great try out there Dan! The grunion run doesn't seem too predictable these days. You still managed to add to your impressive total! Slow and steady wins the race my friend. So much more that I would like to post but so little time. Peace out.

Hi ya Brotha Ken,

Just stay focused with what's on your plate for now brotha ..... we'll have plenty of time to get you on some BIG fish soon enough! :Thumbs Up:
Thanx for taking away from your valuable time to respond to my fish report. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Nice going out there again Dan! It's been quite the "crap shoot" getting on those grunion runs, and even when you do, it doesn't always produce those bites we hope for. Wondering if the sloppy conditions factor into the grunion showing up? I've only seen them when the weather was a little nicer, and the last couple of nights have been blowing pretty good. Oh well, you gave it a heck of a try and came out with some points! Another successful outing sir...

Congrats!
Don

Hi ya Brotha Don,

Like Mr Bones said to me in a recent text message: "I've proved that Halibut feed at night even if the grunion are not there"!
He also said ... "I know that if a big :BFish: Halibut had been any where near my artificial bait .... that I would have hooked-it-up for sure"!
Mike has always been a huge support to me and for all of us!

I called the Cabrillo Beach Marine Aquarium and asked if the grunion had ever showed there faces this week .... their answer was .... NOPE!

Well at least I landed three more points for my team! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

As per the Tide Book the run starts tonight. The second and 3rd nights are suppose to be the best. Good effort Dan.
DR

Hi ya Martin,

I called the Cabrillo Beach Marine Aquarium today at 12:30 PM and asked if the grunion had ever shown there lil faces on the beach this week and their answer was .... :Sad: NOPE!

As you probably already know Martin .... the Cabrillo Beach Marine Aquarium (CBMA) runs the entire grunion run program at Cabrillo Beach. I asked them what was their source for the expected grunion runs and they said that they used the same information that I was using for the predicted grunion runs and to run their grunion program.... which is .... the "California Department of Fish and Wildlife" at www.dfg.ca.gov for the expected grunion runs for 2013.

So according to the DF&W and the CBMA, the 2nd night of the expected grunion run was Tuesday night the 23rd, which is the night that I fished.
I'll also continue to check back with the CBMA this week to validate your source for the expected grunion runs.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your valuable and appreciated information with me brotha. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Dan your a fishing machine...
Arthur's score keeping device just keeps going, Ding ding ding ding ding every time you check in. Love it.

Keep it going buddy.

WWO

Hi ya Brotha Bill,

Ha ha ha! ...Yeah ... a machine with line cuts on both sore hands and a scabby knee due to a miss step on the wet rocks while I was climbing over them in the dark in order to get to the next sandy stretch on the other side of them! ha ha ha!

We should all pitch-in-together and purchase our brotha Arthur a "tally-wacker" to help him out! Keep it a secret ...:Wink: ok! Shhhhhhh! ha ha

I'll be taking care of and spending time with my gal this Sat but am hoping to get out for a morning session on Sun .... I luv to watch the sun rise over the bluffs!

Thanx brotha for the response and your friendship! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bloox8
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I got your text the other day. Three shorts is three times better than my one shorty that day haha. Lets keep the points rolling :Cool:

DockRat
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
I called the Cabrillo Beach Marine Aquarium today at 12:30 PM and asked if the grunion had ever shown there lil faces on the beach this week and their answer was .... :Sad: NOPE!

As you probably already know Martin .... the Cabrillo Beach Marine Aquarium (CBMA) runs the entire grunion run program at Cabrillo Beach. I asked them what was their source for the expected grunion runs and they said that they used the same information that I was using for the predicted grunion runs and to run their grunion program.... which is .... the "California Department of Fish and Wildlife" at www.dfg.ca.gov for the expected grunion runs for 2013.

So according to the DF&W and the CBMA, the 2nd night of the expected grunion run was Tuesday night the 23rd, which is the night that I fished.
I'll also continue to check back with the CBMA this week to validate your source for the expected grunion runs.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your valuable and appreciated information with me brotha. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services
Turning operational oceanographic data into meaningful information for the Nation

Been using the NOAA Tide Book since 1970 it has the Grunion Predictions in it.
Always seen them in the past. The DFW predictions are 2 days different than NOAA

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/index.shtml

July predictions;

24th Wed 11:09 pm - 1:09 am
25th Thur 11:58 pm - 1:58 am
26th Fri 12:52 am - 2:52 am
27th Sat 1:56 am - 3:56 am

I'll be sleeping. LOL
DR

SP Dan
07-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services
Turning operational oceanographic data into meaningful information for the Nation

Been using the NOAA Tide Book since 1970 it has the Grunion Predictions in it.
Always seen them in the past. The DFW predictions are 2 days different than NOAA

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/index.shtml

July predictions;

24th Wed 11:09 pm - 1:09 am
25th Thur 11:58 pm - 1:58 am
26th Fri 12:52 am - 2:52 am
27th Sat 1:56 am - 3:56 am

I'll be sleeping. LOL
DR

NOAA is the accredited bible for sure!

I have also noticed the difference in the two sources of the expected grunion runs but felt that the CBMA new their beach best by their past events.
Also realized that the CBMA did not :Shocked: conduct their grunion run program on Wed nor Thur nights. :Secret: Hmmmm!!

I may just have to drop in tonight just to check it out. :Cool:

Sleep tight DR! :Cool: Lol

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
I got your text the other day. Three shorts is three times better than my one shorty that day haha. Lets keep the points rolling :Cool:

Hi ya Brotha Thien,
I hope to read a fish report from you about some points that you landed for our team this weekend. :Thumbs Up:
I may only be able to get out on Sun morn, so I may not be much help for our team!
So if you do get out there ..... good luck soldier! :Cool: Hit em hard! :Big Grin:

SP Dan <"))><

PONTOON
07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Dan, My Friend, you are one relentless surf cat Buddy! :Cool:

I enjoy your text reports as well as all the others I get during these competitions........I'm rooting for everyone regardles of what team you are on. I'll see you soon, well maybe after the Monterey trip starting Monday. :Thumbs Up: