PDA

View Full Version : Fish bait?

old pudd fisher
07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I wonder how they would be. I live in Riverside and these green guys are just every where in my backyard, I have never seen so many at one time. Heck they are in my dogs swimming pool and eating our peach tree fruit.4208042081

DEVOREFLYER
07-23-2013, 08:28 PM
June Bugs. I remember as a kid we use to catch them and scare the girls with them. lol

DarkShadow
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
June Bugs. I remember as a kid we use to catch them and scare the girls with them. lol

Don't think it was the June Bugs that were scaring them, Devo.....

DEVOREFLYER
07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Naw we weren't even close to them when the scarin' happened. We put um in their lunch boxes at recess, and in those days the guys and gals did not sit together at lunch time. Lunch time was great watchin' them open the lunch boxes. It was another time as you rode your bike or walked to school, no Scoccer Mom's takin' their kids to school and making the traffic jamb from double hockey sticks in front of every school. A different time, today you would be charged with bullying or making a terrorist threat.

pcuser
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Naw we weren't even close to them when the scarin' happened. We put um in their lunch boxes at recess, and in those days the guys and gals did not sit together at lunch time. Lunch time was great watchin' them open the lunch boxes. It was another time as you rode your bike or walked to school, no Scoccer Mom's takin' their kids to school and making the traffic jamb from double hockey sticks in front of every school. A different time, today you would be charged with bullying or making a terrorist threat.

Delusional paranoia...

pcuser
07-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I wonder how they would be. I live in Riverside and these green guys are just every where in my backyard, I have never seen so many at one time. Heck they are in my dogs swimming pool and eating our peach tree fruit.4208042081

They look like fig eater beetles. They are Cotinis mutabilis, also known as the "green fruit beetle" or "fig beetle", is a member of the scarab beetle family. Figeater beetles are often mistaken for green June beetles (Cotinis nitida) and Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica); however, they do not damage lawns and fruit crops to the same extent as their eastern cousins.

seal
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
They look like fig eater beetles. They are Cotinis mutabilis, also known as the "green fruit beetle" or "fig beetle", is a member of the scarab beetle family. Figeater beetles are often mistaken for green June beetles (Cotinis nitida) and Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica); however, they do not damage lawns and fruit crops to the same extent as their eastern cousins.

Nice Google!

pcuser
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Nice Google!

I know you believe nothing I say. However, I knew what they were because I have a fig tree in my yard and see them every year. I only used Wikipedia for the technical part of it. So sue me....

DarkShadow
07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
however, they do not damage lawns and fruit crops to the same extent as their eastern cousins.

But they sure do scare the chicks when you put them in lunch boxes.

old pudd fisher
07-25-2013, 06:01 PM

Yep!!! Your the man DEVORE :LOL:

TUNAVIC
07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah they've been around forever,used to tie a string to them when we were kids and fly them around like a poor kids kite,now their eating all my grapes,oh well.

Cya TunaVic

pcuser
07-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Nice Google!

So what? Now you're stalking me on the boards.:Shocked: You're lucky this isn't a stand your ground state. If it was, I could blow you off the boards...:Guns::Guns:

seal
07-29-2013, 01:38 PM
So what? Now you're stalking me on the boards.:Shocked: You're lucky this isn't a stand your ground state. If it was, I could blow you off the boards...:Guns::Guns:

Bugged (get it bugged!) you so much you had to respond 2x's huh? What took you a while to come up with this masterpiece of a response?

smokehound
09-18-2013, 12:01 AM
These DO, in fact, work as bait.

Weightless, with 4 lb line, and a small hook through one of the elytra (outer wings). cast gently and carefully, and if you cast high enough, you can get to the middle of the lake, just pop the rod tip down, and it will knock it into the water, where it will float and kick around.

They drown fast, unfortunately. Good catfish bait, too!

old pudd fisher
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
These DO, in fact, work as bait.

Weightless, with 4 lb line, and a small hook through one of the elytra (outer wings). cast gently and carefully, and if you cast high enough, you can get to the middle of the lake, just pop the rod tip down, and it will knock it into the water, where it will float and kick around.

They drown fast, unfortunately. Good catfish bait, too!

Thanks for the tip.

LGHT
09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
I tried these once for Bass and didn't get any takers. Thought it would be good since it fluttered and made a lot of motion on the water. To avoid killing it I would just use some small dental floss and tie a hook around the body under the wings and drop it slowly into the water. Once it gets going it would flutter out pretty far.

old pudd fisher
09-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info. LGHT they ate up the fruit on the tree and are gone now.

Ifishtoolittle
09-20-2013, 11:31 PM
They make great Koi food. I swatted a larger one the other day, dumped in my pond, and 20 mins later it was gone.

Cartman
09-21-2013, 07:36 PM
We found a lot of the larvae of these bugs in our garden this spring, so I took some to the Pudd and tried using them as bait. I didn't catch anything, but like everything in fishing there are too many variables to know if it was the bait or some other reason. They look like good bait, but they're a little squishy.